Drift

Fenrir72

What do you get when you mix Ridge Racer,Fast and the Furious,Samurai X and a bit of Transformer defections? Well you get a non flyer/seeker version of Skyfire/Jetfire.............now known as Drift!

Contents:

#1 Drift "super car" genericised Nissan whatchamacalit Silvia S15

# 2 short swords

# 1 big bad@ss buster sword (reminds me of the one used by Sano from Samurai X) with the Japanese characters "Peerless" under heaven or if you like.........a warrior without equal

#1 instruction sheet

# 1 box/blister bubble with no more twisty ties but more like fabric fiber ties that won't scratch the fig.

All robot mode mein freunds...............

th_IMG_1389.jpg

full body

th_IMG_1390.jpg

face close up

th_IMG_1397.jpg

added yellow paint apps

th_IMG_1394.jpg

side view

th_IMG_1395.jpg

back

th_IMG_1404.jpg

radials

th_IMG_1399.jpg

hands

th_IMG_1403.jpg

feet (veryyyyy G1 no?)

Background:

IDW is sort of in the roll. Story wise, hit or miss and controversial in all aspects........ahem AHM(?)

Anyway back during the "Furman" reign when Stormbringer came out, everyone wanted the updated version of Jetfire. (FYI , Jetfire was not redesigned by DonFig but his pencils of him were just as AWESOME). Not bad for a figure introduced in a comic tapping into nostalgia for fans. Until now, the Jetfire mold is still being squeezed for all its worth (gives credit to its design and staying power...........could have been made bigger though)

Now fast forward to AHM. Said to be designed this time by Guido Guidi, we are introduced to a 'bot who is basically Jetfire/Skyfire on wheels. Unlike the former, Drift was known back then as Deadlock. A murdering mother f*ckr who struck fear in the sparks of all Autobots. But somewhere along the way he achieved some sort of Nirvana with a still unnamed Cybertronian faction who espoused non violence blah blah blah.

Enough.......back to the figure/toy:

He is a well though off/designed figure(for his size) It even has a homage to his previous "Deadlock" persona (check his chest piece..........behind the windshield, that's what he looked like before becoming Drift.

Taking a cue from MP Starscream, the designers incorporated functional sword sheaths on his hips. (IIRC, that's the reason S.Kawamori added those kibbles on Starscream...........envisioned to to have a samurai effect). The two short swords which can be folded at the handles fit snuggly (rubberized for safety reasons of course)

He also has a groove on his back where the big@ss sword can fit in both 'bot and car mode.

Points of articulation?...............12 if I count correctly. And he can do a two handed grip on his sword if you like.

He's got light piping, grafitti on his doors............"Samurai" in kanji and simulated rubber tires. (Simulated as in it's plastic that looks like rubber.) Paint job is neat, not much bleeding but I would have prefered if the simulated blue for his windshield also extended on his rear side windshields. Also, if Takara will do a henkei version of him, maybe they could add extra red stripe paint patterns on his cheaks like that in the comic.(minor quibbles that's all)

Oh, his white ABS PVC plastics are also well molded, smooth not cruddy rough.........in another place and time, Drift would have made a good Alternity fig (same pain in the @ss transformation sequence)

Overall, I'd give him a rating of 4.98/5.0.

Not because of the hype, (hey it took HasTak 2 years to finally admit his existence) but because he is indeed a well designed figure.

Sure the back story ain't too original................defections? Please......... ! But it did do the job of giving him prior exposure/advertisement.

I'd have also preferred they'd given him some form of die-cast (at his joints.......he's shoulders and that of his sword sheaths 'cause thats where I expect a lot of breakage to appear due to his very articulated design) Minor quibbles aside............he's soooooooo sugoi!

Get him while he's hot, worth the wait and the price.

When counting POA (points of articulation) you count every arm on BOTH arms homie! So counting from apeculation, i would say he has at least 21 or more. Depending on what some ppl think of as "articulation" but if he has the thing and bicep swivels plus head, & average legs arms, hes 21. ;)

I like how you point out he has the nod to "Deadlock" behind his windshield! Something i never noticed before now! Awesome! lol (i still need to get the AHM comics from a friend here!)

Overall, nice review. Although clicking on the pics made them come out blurry. A point less in my view.

*correction* SPECULATION and "thigh and bicep swivels" ;) *

I want rubber tires to come back......Drift would look great with rubber tires

The last rubber tires was on Leader Prime movie #1 version. Wait, i cant remember if my HA Bee/Barricade's have them or not. Hmmm :schin Its been too long since ive been near my toys :redface I HATE being in a hotel :(

Archived