WolKaizer / Burning Kaizer

Yuyuyami

I'd like to preface this by saying: I know nothing of Mystic Force beyond a couple of the toys. I make no claims to the accuracy of my terminology. Also, this will be my first pictorial review, since Superior Grilled Cheese specifically asked for details on the figure because he hadn't seen much of it. As such, my format will be a little different and experimental.

My Wolkaizer set is a knock off that I bought from Big Lots for $10. I've seen some reviews of the Wolkaizer set and there a couple MINOR variations, but I feel that my knock off is close enough in design that it will accurately reflect the quality of the design of the original. The plastic's nice on the Horsey, but my Wolzard crumbled after a couple days of play. I've salvaged him enough for use in this review to show the Wolkaizer form and to later on show you what he looks like as the chest piece for the Mystic Titan. To show off the riding and centaur modes, I'll be using Mystic Phoenix, as well as showing the Burning Kaizer mode.

img0988.jpg

That's what my Wolzard looks like. The only bits of his legs left are his thighs, which are necessary for the combination because they clip into the back of the Horsey exoskeleton. I really like the shield, it has a nice Legend of Zelda vibe to it.

img0996p.jpg

This is what Wolzard looks like in his 'transformed' state. The shield pegs into Wolzard's chest and the arms come forward and grab it by two pegs below the handle. If the lower legs were still there, they'd be straight, instead of folding outwards and up along his sides, like the Mystic Phoenix does to combine with the Mystic Titan.

img0997n.jpg

This is Horsey himself. He looks nice, though I didn't adjust my camera's focus enough for all the detail to be easily seen. It's clearer in later pictures.

img0998d.jpg

The rear end. Yes, that's a face rammed in its ass. You'll see what that's for later.

img1008mi.jpg

This is Horsey's exoskeleton form. The thighs open up and the legs sit inside of them. I should have taken a picture of the thighs opened, but I forgot. Eheh.

Anyway, the head+neck and tail sections detach from the main body, the front legs do some transforming, the rear legs fold up and out and the back half spins around and flips up and slides down. Basically, the shoulders were the Horsey's rear thighs and the lower legs were the back of the front legs.

img1010p.jpg

Still blurry, but it gets better later on, I promise! When I show the Burning Kaizer form the pictures are nice and perfect!

At this point, the Wolzard center piece's thighs have pegged into the back of the exoskeleton and the shoulders of the exoskeleton have pegged into some holes in Wolzard's side.

img1016af.jpg

This is Wolkaizer. The head is the Horsey's head and the sword is the neck, where the blade is the mane.

img1018hz.jpg

See? I told you, crystal clear. This is what it looks like for Mystic Phoenix to ride the Horsey. Phoenix's thigh-butt pegs clip into some holes on Horsey's back.

img1019i.jpg

Centaur mode. The lance is the same as the sword from Wolkaizer mode, except the Horsey's head is tabbed into the bottom of the staff and the Phoenix is holding it by a little peg inside the neck. Also, to get to this mode, the head+neck are pulled off, the front of the Horsey opens up and Phoenix is placed inside, his thighs pegging into the back.

img1020.jpg

And finally, the Burning Kaizer mode. I much prefer this to the Wolkaizer mode. The Phoenix's shoulders come forward and combine with the tail piece, which is where the head nuzzled in Horsey's ass comes from. Otherwise, this mode is just the same to achieve as the Wolkaizer mode.

Summary:

The Horsey is a nice figure with a neat transformation and I love how different the Wolkaizer and Burning Kaizer modes are. One oozes evil, while the other burns brightly with unforgiving justice. Wolzard and Mystic Phoenix themselves are decent and extremely poseable by Power Ranger/Super Sentai standards, but they're nothing special.

Do I recommend it? Yup, but not at the $100 Ebay price tag. If you can find it for $40 or less or a decent quality knock off, it's great. But just not $100 great.

Archived