Need help starting a custom detailing project.

Datastream

I recently picked up ROTF prime and although he is a great figure, I do not agree with some of the paint apps on him (red toes). Therefore, I'm thinking about painting/detailing some parts of prime to make him look better/movie accurate. This is going to be my first project and I'll probably start it after school lets out. For now I'd like some pro-tips on which paints to use, specifically which colors. I want whatever I'm going to paint to be as close to the colors he already has. I'm not looking to do a fancy frenzyrumble-like thing, just a bit of improvement.

EDIT: Okay, so I'm working on a smaller project for now just to work out the tricks of the trade, and I've come across a bit of a problem. I've recently attempted to strip the factory paint off this figure using rubbing alcohol, but there are many crevices the paint has seeped in to that I can't seem to reach. Anyone know of a tool or technique that would help with this?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know what paint to use, but I would try not to paint in a place that needs to make contact during or after the Transformation. If you need to, use small thin paint with a small, smooth, brush. (Say, for the toes.) That's all I can tell you.

I want to start doing some customs myself but I'm waiting for school to be finished next year. Check out Frenzy Rumble and Jin Saotome sites. Those two have amazing customs.

http://www.jinsaotomesdangeroustoys.com/

http://www.frenzyrumble.com/

Perhaps I could ask one of them for some tips. :P

Good luck with that, Jin Saotome doesnt offer any tips aside from his guides, Ive asked him twice I think for advice in the past with no reply. Im not bitter, the guys probably busy as hell. In that respect, Frenzy_Rumble is more helpful with individual advice, but he is also busy like crazy.

Your going to hear a million different opinions on which paints are the best. I use Testors acrylics which work just fine, however, this paint wont hold up to heavy play and constant transformations among parts that rub/clip together. It is just fine however for figures you plan to display.

My favorite technique with the movie figures is to make them look more "realistic"/shiny by using silver/aluminum colored paints, then lightly brushing to highlight details.

Check it: http://hauntedbreaker.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d24tvb0

Well, my main goal is just to start with small individualized parts of the figure and not do a huge full-blown makeover at one time. First on my list is to repaint those awful red toes of Prime's into a similar gray hue that the plastic surrounding it already has. However, from what you're saying, Breaker, is that I should use a different kind of paint besides acrylic for areas heavy in motion. Enamel paint perhaps?

why would you want to keep that grey color?

just paint all of the grey silver.

just take off, or unscrew, the pieces that are grey tape off the parts you don't want painted, i use blue painters tape and cut with an exacto knife. then get a can or two, or three, of the testors silver spray enamel and spray paint those piece, then put the figure back together.

that's what i did with my first leader prime.. then i went in with a brush and painted the little details either bronze, silver, or gold. and if you're going to do that make sure you get a nice high resolution photo or screenshot of prime from the movies, i have a pet peeve about people who do repaints that are inaccurate.

oh.. and if you don't want to do any of that.. you should shell out for buster prime. he is easily my favorite movie figure (well, he'll be tied as my favorite with leader class starscream once he's released).

but seriously. the original release leader prime looks like a knock off when compared to buster.

And if you're going to do that make sure you get a nice high resolution photo or screenshot of prime from the movies. I have a pet peeve about people who do repaints that are inaccurate.

It's a good thing I have a big frikkin' poster of him hanging in my room then. :P

However, I don't think I'll go the whole course and spray paint all of the gray parts at one time. I'm a newbie at this so if I do decide to go silver, I'll probably do pieces of Prime at a time.

I recently picked up ROTF prime and although he is a great figure, I do not agree with some of the paint apps on him (red toes). Therefore, I'm thinking about painting/detailing some parts of prime to make him look better/movie accurate. This is going to be my first project and I'll probably start it after school lets out. For now I'd like some pro-tips on which paints to use, specifically which colors. I want whatever I'm going to paint to be as close to the colors he already has. I'm not looking to do a fancy frenzyrumble-like thing, just a bit of improvement.

Thanks in advance!

In my opinion Dry-brushing should ONLY be used for a "battle damage" or "unloved machine" type repaint. Look at all the dry-brushed cars/tanks/etc out there, then look at the real deal, the real deal the shadowing comes from the SHAPE of the vehicle/machine and NOT from some supposed look of the machine.

Aim for shiny as that will give what is in effect the Emperor of the Autobots his rightful place as a beautiful robot.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, so I'm working on a smaller project for now just to work out the tricks of the trade, and i've come across a bit of a problem. I've recently attempted to strip the factory paint off this figure using rubbing alcohol, but there are many crevices the paint has seeped in to that I can't seem to reach. Anyone know of a tool or technique that would help with this?

Archived