Okay, Binaltech vs. Alternators

BotCollector

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't worry about which will retain or increase in value.

Considering that sgtyork was able to fill most of his collection with MISB BTs that cost less than I paid for mine the month they came out, its obvious that the BTs aren't a very good investment.

Considering that sgtyork was able to fill most of his collection with MISB BTs that cost less than I paid for mine the month they came out, its obvious that the BTs aren't a very good investment.

well, a couple of thoughts...  I think they will always be "MORE" expensive when they first come out.. because the collectors, fans, etc just can't wait to get it.  Thinka bout it - a PC Game comes out at about $50... and then after 6mo's or so is down to $40 or $30.  It's not that dissimilar.

Also, i've heard the market in japan for the BT's is really drying up - which is why you can find companies having 60% off sales as they are trying to get rid of inventory.  It seems Japaneese kids don't have as much disposable money as many in the US do - and the japaneese market is more towards electronics and other gadjets.  Plus, it's human nature for people to lose interest in something after it's been around awhile.

This is a good thing and a bad thing.  Bad in that QC can go down.. and companies start trying to do more radical things to resurrect the market.  HENCE, likely the BTA line...  HEY, if we put a skimpy look'n girl with it - they will want it.   Profits are down... let's cut some corners to keep the profits up.  I hate to say it, but it's inevidible.  But this is GOOD in the fact, it begins to reduce the quantity of them out there.. and will make them more valuable down the road.. altho that road might be kinda long. The G1's had to wait 20yrs.

When this happens.. prices and quality will go down.

While i don't think it's that smart to collect anything for pure 'value' - you would do better putting that kinda money in stocks or real-estate.  However, if you want a collection that will go up eventually - it will probably be in the LONG haul - not immediate.   2-3 yeares is not that long.  I wouldn't feel bad about paying more for them - you got the enjoyment of them over the past few years that I did not.  I'm late to the game, but yes seemingly finding some deals.

I'm surprised they didn't put some uot in "limited editions" with limited stock.. Now THAT would have driven the price up... especially in the shorter time frame... and made them a real collection series.  

But I have a feeling the BT's will hold their value over the LONG HAUL.  Remember, the G1's, took almost 20 years to really grow in popularity and return to the fore front of people's minds again.  Things cycle around.  And given the lower quantity of BT's in the US, compared to the flooded market of the ALT's which are released here anyways... I think the BT's will likely fall in value as the maret dries... and then regain and grown down the road... 10.. 15.. 20yrs from now.

Just my thoughts on it.. and another reason i chose the BT's over the ALT's to get serious about.  I'm going to continue bargan hunting..  and get the older ones first.  I will probably wait on the newer ones to behonest - because they are more expensive.  it's not that i couldn't afford them, but I have a feeling if i wait 6mo's.. or at times businesses are clearing invenstory...i can get them cheaper.  We'll see if i have the patience for it anyways - LOL.  What i'll be watching for is a low release edition - that will be much harder to find in a few months. 

I collect the TF's tho because i enjoy them.. if they never gain a  penny.  Because to be honest, i'm not going to sell them anyways.. so what good would it be if they did jump 2 fold, 3 fold, or even 10 fold anyways?? lol   My old G1 transformers that i probably paid a couple hundred dollars for back then are valued at about $2000 now.  I'm not selling them either.  LOL  But sometimes it's just nice to know.

ANYWAYS..

I really appreciate all the valuable input many of you provided on this thread, and on this board.. really caught me up quick.. a truly great resource!

I'm focusing on the Bt's right now.. but i've got a little bit of an 'itch'to go after the ALT's as well.  Won't mind touching them as much... aybe letting my 4yr old play with one on occassion... knowing i can replace them cheaper if they get too damaged.

I just can't bring myself to collect them MISB tho.  I'll keep the boxes and such, but i want to have them out, displayed, where i can enjoy them.  Before i do open them up too much tho - i am a bit concerned about the 'dust' factor.  Anyone have good ideas on this one?? I was thinking about a descent curio, or some kind of glass/plastic boxing/shielding.  As my G1's have been packed away in the attic in a box for YEARS... i'm not sure the best way to display them and keep them in good condition.

Transformers are ADDICTIVE i tell you!!

Thanks for the input and all the help tho guyz! 

While i don't think it's that smart to collect anything for pure 'value' - you would do better putting that kinda money in stocks or real-estate. 

But I have a feeling the BT's will hold their value over the LONG HAUL.  Remember, the G1's, took almost 20 years to really grow in popularity and return to the fore front of people's minds again. 

I collect the TF's tho because i enjoy them.. if they never gain a  penny.  Because to be honest, i'm not going to sell them anyways.. so what good would it be if they did jump 2 fold, 3 fold, or even 10 fold anyways?? lol

Sorry, my above comment was intended to be a bit tounge in cheek. I buy them for myself as well and don't really care about their future value as I don't plan on selling them - shoot, I still have all of my original G1 figures. 

I don't think that most modern "collector toy" releases will ever increase too much in value.  Too many people keep things MISB these days.  Nobody kept G1 Jetfire unopened in his box because they thought he would be worth $1000 some day, which is exactly why he's worth that much now.  Today's equivalent of G1 TFs will be something kids play with now, throw away and then become nostaligic about in the future.

Things like BT/Alts will never have any nostalgia value, they're really not a "hot" item in mainstream pop-culture like the G1 toys were in their day.  Today's kids, when they have too much disposable income in the future, won't be spending $1000 for a toy they never had any interest in as a child.

I prefer The binaltechs, however the Alts have their charm as well since whenever there is writing on them, the BTs like prowl tend to be in japanese where the Alt prowl is in English. SO i have complete BT and alt collection thus far...minus BTA's which are pointless to me...although I did get the sunstreaker for nostalgic reasons....I Loved him as a kid, however he is probably going to be the only one Unless the BT version of Decepticharge is released in the BTA line.

My Issue with the Alternators is that the last two I got, Decepticharge and Prowl had some Quality issues themselves. Decepticharge had some missing paint apps and also the chrome tailpipes showed Chrome wear fresh from the box? Prowls GeeWonish logo on his hood has a smear in the blue paint like they didnt let it dry before they put it in the box or a drop of paint thiner dropped on it! Anyone Else have these issues with theirs?

While i don't think it's that smart to collect anything for pure 'value' - you would do better putting that kinda money in stocks or real-estate. 

But I have a feeling the BT's will hold their value over the LONG HAUL.  Remember, the G1's, took almost 20 years to really grow in popularity and return to the fore front of people's minds again. 

I collect the TF's tho because i enjoy them.. if they never gain a  penny.  Because to be honest, i'm not going to sell them anyways.. so what good would it be if they did jump 2 fold, 3 fold, or even 10 fold anyways?? lol  

Sorry, my above comment was intended to be a bit tounge in cheek.   I buy them for myself as well and don't really care about their future value as I don't plan on selling them - shoot, I still have all of my original G1 figures. 

I don't think that most modern "collector toy" releases will ever increase too much in value.  Too many people keep things MISB these days.  Nobody kept G1 Jetfire unopened in his box because they thought he would be worth $1000 some day, which is exactly why he's worth that much now.  Today's equivalent of G1 TFs will be something kids play with now, throw away and then become nostaligic about in the future.

Things like BT/Alts will never have any nostalgia value, they're really not a "hot" item in mainstream pop-culture like the G1 toys were in their day.  Today's kids, when they have too much disposable income in the future, won't be spending $1000 for a toy they never had any interest in as a child.

:pfx

See, I prefer the BTs over the Alts for one major reason... they're painted.

I couldn't care less for the die-cast as, as mentioned, it makes them sometimes harder to pose without them toppling and it can chip like crazy (my BT Sunstreaker came with 4 nice chips on the front grill before it left the box!).

The BTs do however look better because of the paint used on the body pannels which the plastic of the Alts just doesn't match for shine and, I guess, "realism".

Case in point the only Alt I own is Streak and that was because of it's painted plastic making it look exactly the same as it's BT counterpart. Hound and Tracks I could have probably settled on the Alts for because of the plastic coming pretty damn close to the painted metal (though I got the BTs anyway through habbit) but Meister, Wheeljack, Sideswipe, Smokescreen and Prowl ALL look better than their Alt versions not because of they're die-cast but because of the paint.

Hell, Takara could drop the die-cast completely and as long as the car's were painted rather than unpainted plastic they'd still crap all over the majority of the Alts (though not all).

The fact that I prefer the BT packaging is an added bonus.

Steve.

See, I prefer the BTs over the Alts for one major reason... they're painted.

If you look closely the plastic panels on Hound, Tracks and the Meister twins are actually unpainted (as is Swindle), something I found super annoying.  Fortuantely they actually did paint the panels on Laserwave and blue Prowl, when in the past I don't think they would have.

Now if they had just bothered to match the paint on the plastic and diecast panels of Sunstreaker :grr .

Hell, Takara could drop the die-cast completely and as long as the car's were painted rather than unpainted plastic they'd still crap all over the majority of the Alts (though not all).

I agree, as long as they continue to paint them, I wouldn't mind if Takara dropped the die-cast as well - Prowl's so top heavy he can barely stand up unless balanced just right.

Fellas, whether Binaltechs or Alternators, or any other toy, I would never buy them for the sake of making an investment. If you want to make an investment, buy some CDs at your bank or something or bonds.

If you happen to make any kind of money off of TFs, considered that a bonus.

well, a couple of thoughts...  I think they will always be "MORE" expensive when they first come out.. because the collectors, fans, etc just can't wait to get it.  Thinka bout it - a PC Game comes out at about $50... and then after 6mo's or so is down to $40 or $30.  It's not that dissimilar.

Also, i've heard the market in japan for the BT's is really drying up - which is why you can find companies having 60% off sales as they are trying to get rid of inventory.  It seems Japaneese kids don't have as much disposable money as many in the US do - and the japaneese market is more towards electronics and other gadjets.  Plus, it's human nature for people to lose interest in something after it's been around awhile.

This is a good thing and a bad thing.  Bad in that QC can go down.. and companies start trying to do more radical things to resurrect the market.  HENCE, likely the BTA line...  HEY, if we put a skimpy look'n girl with it - they will want it.   Profits are down... let's cut some corners to keep the profits up.  I hate to say it, but it's inevidible.  But this is GOOD in the fact, it begins to reduce the quantity of them out there.. and will make them more valuable down the road.. altho that road might be kinda long.   The G1's had to wait 20yrs.

When this happens.. prices and quality will go down.

While i don't think it's that smart to collect anything for pure 'value' - you would do better putting that kinda money in stocks or real-estate.  However, if you want a collection that will go up eventually - it will probably be in the LONG haul - not immediate.   2-3 yeares is not that long.  I wouldn't feel bad about paying more for them - you got the enjoyment of them over the past few years that I did not.  I'm late to the game, but yes seemingly finding some deals.

I'm surprised they didn't put some uot in "limited editions" with limited stock.. Now THAT would have driven the price up... especially in the shorter time frame... and made them a real collection series.  

But I have a feeling the BT's will hold their value over the LONG HAUL.  Remember, the G1's, took almost 20 years to really grow in popularity and return to the fore front of people's minds again.  Things cycle around.  And given the lower quantity of BT's in the US, compared to the flooded market of the ALT's which are released here anyways... I think the BT's will likely fall in value as the maret dries... and then regain and grown down the road... 10.. 15.. 20yrs from now.

Just my thoughts on it.. and another reason i chose the BT's over the ALT's to get serious about.  I'm going to continue bargan hunting..  and get the older ones first.  I will probably wait on the newer ones to behonest - because they are more expensive.  it's not that i couldn't afford them, but I have a feeling if i wait 6mo's.. or at times businesses are clearing invenstory...i can get them cheaper.  We'll see if i have the patience for it anyways - LOL.  What i'll be watching for is a low release edition - that will be much harder to find in a few months. 

I collect the TF's tho because i enjoy them.. if they never gain a  penny.  Because to be honest, i'm not going to sell them anyways.. so what good would it be if they did jump 2 fold, 3 fold, or even 10 fold anyways?? lol   My old G1 transformers that i probably paid a couple hundred dollars for back then are valued at about $2000 now.  I'm not selling them either.  LOL  But sometimes it's just nice to know.

ANYWAYS..

I really appreciate all the valuable input many of you provided on this thread, and on this board.. really caught me up quick.. a truly great resource!

I'm focusing on the Bt's right now.. but i've got a little bit of an 'itch'to go after the ALT's as well.  Won't mind touching them as much... aybe letting my 4yr old play with one on occassion... knowing i can replace them cheaper if they get too damaged.

I just can't bring myself to collect them MISB tho.  I'll keep the boxes and such, but i want to have them out, displayed, where i can enjoy them.  Before i do open them up too much tho - i am a bit concerned about the 'dust' factor.  Anyone have good ideas on this one?? I was thinking about a descent curio, or some kind of glass/plastic boxing/shielding.  As my G1's have been packed away in the attic in a box for YEARS... i'm not sure the best way to display them and keep them in good condition.

Transformers are ADDICTIVE i tell you!!

Thanks for the input and all the help tho guyz! 

You read my damn mind on almost everything that you said. I collect b/c I love TFs, but I like to know that what I buy now will actually increase in value in the next few years (ie 15-20 yrs at least b/c that is how long I intend to keep my collection). I am kinda sick of people giving me sh*t b/c I like to know that I am also making an invest on top of stoking my addiction.

As far as your G1 figures, you gotta get those things out and display them. If you have the money I can recommend a very nice and somewhat affordable display cabinet company for you. If you have this good quality and valuable collection, you have to show it off (and by that I also mean post pics in the Collectors Corner).

Oh and that last little bit you have in your post, ha, just give it more time, it only gets worse.

And in case no one else has said it, WELCOME TO THE FANDOM!!!

Archived