Okay, Binaltech vs. Alternators

BotCollector

I have both the BT and ALT Smokescreen I have to say that I like the metal better.

Because the paintjob looks great and the metal makes him look more real to me, however you can transform ALT way more.

If you would ask me what to do,

Buy both!

Binaltech for carmode and ALT for robot mode.

End of story :clap

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless we're talking model kits, scale collector cars are usually painted diecast. Binaltech emulates diecast cars which are in turn scale representations of real life metal and painted vehicles.

To draw a silly parallel, if plastic was truly superior, we'd all be driving Saturns. ;)

But honestly, they each have their advantages. One is not better than the other. I'd actually prefer a lower priced plastic version, but the key exception is that it has to have the metallic paint job and clear coat. Voila! Best of both world.

Or... you change the diecast metal to lightweight aluminum alloy, but then the toy would be silly expensive.

Well, I've got BT Smokescreen and Sideswipe, and they're awesome! I like the weight of the diecast, it feels nicer than plain old plastic, and those shiny paintjobs are sweeeeeeeeet! :)

I can see why people would prefer Alternators though, especially in the US where the price differences are much bigger than here in the UK. But for me the luscious paintjobs are a must; if Hasbro gave the Alternator versions a shiny paintjob, I'd probably prefer them to be honest. But for that you need die-cast, so BT it is!

Well, I've got BT Smokescreen and Sideswipe, and they're awesome! I like the weight of the diecast, it feels nicer than plain old plastic, and those shiny paintjobs are sweeeeeeeeet! :)

I can see why people would prefer Alternators though, especially in the US where the price differences are much bigger than here in the UK. But for me the luscious paintjobs are a must; if Hasbro gave the Alternator versions a shiny paintjob, I'd probably prefer them to be honest. But for that you need die-cast, so BT it is!

Yeah, 40 bucks extra is a little much for me to pay for added weight and shinyness. As long as the toys have the same design ill be happy. Now if the alternator versions all had wangs on their foreheads, then i might think about the BT

:thumb

Hey Botcollector, any word on who won the Dec 2003 contest yet?

Man, I cannot apologize enough for how behind we are on the Guide and the Contest, community, and all that stuff. Unfortunately, EVERYTHING has to take a back seat to paid-for orders, and taking care of the MP Primes and Reissues pre-orders are taking all of our time, as well as staying on top of incoming preorders for the future. I need more people, I hate letting the rest of Botcollector stagnate, to me the special interest stuff and Guide are more what we're about than the store, but we can't sandbag when we're holding people's money.

I don't remember the name of the guy who won it, but he didn't want his real name publicized anyway. His essay was about 2 or 2 1/2 pages, and aside from a seeming love affair with the word "bolster," I couldn't have written a better one myself. Unfortunately, he was on the side of recolors, but hey; the prize had to go to the best written and most persuasive, even if we don't agree with the content.

Sorry again, y'all, we'll be busting some pretty serious ass this weekend, the Guide updates are second in line. After we bring that up to date, the contest winners page and new contest will go online, I'd say it'll be about 10 more days.

I own Binaltech Smokescreen and Sideswipe and love them both, they look so good next to my Masterpiece prime. I love the look, the paint, the weight and the feel of the Binaltech line, and aside from not being able to read japanese, there is nothing wrong with these toys. But as of the next release I have chosen to preorder the Alternator lines with Hound (he is a jeep, and jeeps are not the shinest of vehicles so I am not to afraid of the plastic looking bad) and Silverstreak ( he is a repaint, and I already own Smokescreen so this seemed logical to save on the cost). But my personal problem is with the weight of the Binaltech line, I have alot of respect for Takara for what they are doing, but I dont think, over time, that the joints will be able to support that much weight. I love this line and want to make sure that they last for a long time, but I still like to pick them up from time to time and transform them and I would like to be able to do that years from now as well and still be able to poss them next to prime. That is just my two cents.

I don't think either Hound or Silverstreak will be worth getting Binaltech versions of just because the price and the fact you can find both of these G1 complete for as much as these two cost. I think If I get these two it will be Alternators versions.

I'll own up to the fact that I only have the ALT version, but so far that's also the line I prefer. It's got the lower price and is the same design as the BT version. Now for everybody who says "well die-cast is nicer," I say, you're right. I collect die-cast model cars, and between all the people that come over and pick them up and play with the hood and the doors and my girlfriend knocking them down (she's a bit of a clutz) several have gotten large chips in paint. I don't want that to happen to something I pay so much for and usually play with.

Also, I keep hearing about Binaltechs with pieces that keep coming off. Once again I can only speak for mine, but it's solid as a rock, and I've never heard anyone complain about the quality of the Hasbro versions.

Archived