Okay, Binaltech vs. Alternators

BotCollector

I've had a real hell of a time having a calm, reasonable discussion about this on newsgroups, so I'll test the waters on this here board.

My theory is that anyone who is offered the chance to own either a Binaltech Smokescreen or an Alternator Smokescreen, free of charge, will take the Binaltech. You've got both of these babies out of the box on a table in front of you, hell, they're both revolving slowly and seductively on those velvety turntables with little display cabinet halogen lights aimed at their sexy curves and corners. Which one would you take? Which one would anybody take?

See, I think it's just a given truth that the Binaltechs are superior to an almost preposterous degree. I don't think it necessarily because of the shinier look, or the sweeter heft, or the cool metallic "clink" when you shut the hood. I think these are all true, but in my thinking, the Binaltech is cooler just as a naked fact. To me, saying "the Binaltech series is superior to the Alternator series" is the same as saying "dog poop tastes really really bad." It's just a fact that doesn't really require a lot of explaining or research into all the facets that make up toys or dog poop. And no, I don't eat dog poop. But c'mon.

AAAAAAAAANNNNNNNYway, the point here is I think people who get the Alternators get them because they are either completist collectors, or need a cheaper alternative to the much more expensive Binaltechs. I don't think it's EVER because they actually PREFER the material, packaging and instructions design, etc. of the U.S. release.

Am I wrong?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, die cast doesnt excite me much. Sure its neat I guess, I just would way rather spend 40 bucks instead of 80. This has nothing to do with being a completist, or a broke ass. The things that excite me about this series arent silly things like die cast.

Die cast can SOMETIMES ruin a toy (paint chipping, top heavy-ness, ect.) but i don't know enough about the differences to make a judgement, and diecast isn't that imprtant to me. it's not that i would pick the binaltech, it's that i have 20 extra $'s to spent on another alternator!

I lean towards the binaltech just because they are diecast. It really depends on what you have to invest in the toy. I have the smokescreen alternator but I still would choose the binaltech over the alternators anyday. Better built and look cooler.

Binaltech has it's charm with the better plastic color, Diecast, and Box design...but Alternators are cheap and easy to come by. I'll be getting all the Alternators, but I will pick up a Binaltech figure or two if if I REALLY like the design......Like Hound.

The first person that changes this to a Hasbro vs. Takara debate gets a smack in the head :thumb

Personally I've begun collecting the Binaltech series and have both Smokescreen and Sideswipe. There's just something about having diecast on my bots that I love so much ! Even though they are much more costly then their Alternators brethren, I feel like I'm getting a lot of bang for my buck with Binaltech. I also feel that the BT versions looks much sharper when displayed. Just my two cents :thumb

The first person that changes this to a Hasbro vs. Takara debate gets a smack in the head :thumb

Personally I've begun collecting the Binaltech series and have both Smokescreen and Sideswipe. There's just something about having diecast on my bots that I love so much ! Even though they are much more costly then their Alternators brethren, I feel like I'm getting a lot of bang for my buck with Binaltech. I also feel that the BT versions looks much sharper when displayed. Just my two cents :thumb

I have yet to actually hold a binaltech, or see one in person for that matter. Maybe my opinion will change when I do, but until then im perfectly happy with my alternator :tfevil

I'll have to admit that I haven't actually touched a Binaltech toy, but I'd go for Alternators if I had the chance. Alternators is about $40 cheaper, just because they're not made of die-cast. Die-cast doesn't excite me that much...I'm just as fine paying a lot less money to a toy.

The first person that changes this to a Hasbro vs. Takara debate gets a smack in the head   :thumb

Personally I've begun collecting the Binaltech series and have both Smokescreen and Sideswipe. There's just something about having diecast on my bots that I love so much ! Even though they are much more costly then their Alternators brethren, I feel like I'm getting a lot of bang for my buck with Binaltech. I also feel that the BT versions looks much sharper when displayed. Just my two cents   :thumb

Must....resist....urge...

In all seriousness, I don't really care much about Die cast or for paint chipping. Or for heavyness in a fig. For for paying nearly double for a fig just for those.

So I'll stick with the durable, affordable and convienent Alternators. :thumb

AAAAAAAAANNNNNNNYway, the point here is I think people who get the Alternators get them because they are either completist collectors, or need a cheaper alternative to the much more expensive Binaltechs. I don't think it's EVER because they actually PREFER the material, packaging and instructions design, etc. of the U.S. release

Well, it is. Diecast = bad. Paint chipping = bad. Instructions = Never use them anyway. Packaging = throw it away/Alts is just as good if not better

I do like my BT Smokescreen, a work of art if I do say so, but if I'm on a budget or the BT is sold out, then I'll go for an Alt. if I can find any over here. As long as it doesn't fall apart in my hands then I'm not bothered what I buy really.

-Chuckles

Archived