iGear Toys Partner Products’ PP01 series prototype review

Wheeljack-S70

I recently got something pretty exciting in the mail from china, a pre-production prototype of the iGears PP01 series. Since I think I’m one of if not the first to get a hold of one of these I figured I would share a closer look of what this thing looks and feels like. One thing to note is that this is a prototype so one would imagine there might be slight changes in the final product.

-First Look: This is a scaled down version of MP01. Nothing appears to be simplified. Everything down to the tire suspension, to the complex elbow and knee joints, to the rivets and panel lines is there.

-Size: PP01 stands at 8.5 inches or about 21.59 cm. Shoulder width is about 4.5 inches (11.43 cm). In truck mode he’s 6.25 inches (15.88 cm). According to my calculations the truck mode sits at just about 1/39 scale to a standard COE truck from the 80s. I have him pictured with a 1/32 scale model kit from the same era. This was a bit of a bummer for me cuz I’m a huge 1/32 nut but the bot mode still scales up nicely with the classics/verse lineup. He’s in and about hasbro’s ultra class scale, standing shoulder to shoulder with Silverbolt.

-Materials: PP01 appears to be made of a slightly more delicate plastic than has/tak grade but substantially better than any “ko” I’ve seen. I own CM’s relatively new Brave Combat Calibur (Roadbuster) and the plastic seems to be of the same quality. PP01 has no metal parts except for pins and screws. I transformed him several times with no issue and even accidentally dropped him once on my kitchen ceramic floor. A “DOH!” moment but nothing broke. The head popped off the ball joint but popped back on easily enough. The front windows are clear with no foggy areas. Tires are rubber. Detail on everything is spot on and crisp with no warping or air bubbles.

-Joints: On a 1-10 scale with 1 being ridiculously tight and 10 being so loose that limbs can’t hold their own weight, an ideal figure in my opinion would be somewhere in the 5-6 range. This prototype is about 5. I never had to force anything while transforming or posing him. The joints are loose enough to move around but tight enough to hold their position.

-Paint: N/A This prototype is unpainted.

-Extras: PP01 came in with some extra pieces. A miniature Walther P38 with a silencer, scope and all the trimmings, a clear axe, an arguably more g1 accurate head to switch out the head, an extra set of hands (a kitbasher’s dream come true), and 2 laser blasters to fit both types of hands.

Overall: If you like MP01 and always wanted one to fit in with your classics/universe/generations line, here you go. If you wanted an MP01 to better fit with your MP seekers, this fits pretty well also. If you didn’t like MP01, then you won’t like this. Personally, I’m a G1er through and through and the classic’s line is when I became reenergized about TFs. I’m big on “believable” scale with my collection as well. I use the deluxe style cars with the MP seekers. I can only speak for myself but for me, this fits in nicely.

I still have the figure if you guys have any specific questions that I didn’t cover. Thanks for reading this guys. I hope this helps you in making a decision one way or another. Or justifies the decision you made, one way or another.

cheers!

here are some images from a full gallery I have at sector 70

4F2DE0D604B142B09ECA5CEC657CD6B5.jpg

F70CBB5C1E334988B49DD0867F84BE80.jpg

61E2B1D7376C4D58A07868D7DCA29AE9.jpg

7FF048A3285B490D84BFA9894253CA43.jpg

79AD70CB5F6640A2BD843FE26B343008.jpg

07CD6861486146FA9CD5D25D3EF3C965.jpg

Thanks for the review. It's good to know that anyone who wants one of these is getting a pretty good product. Your description of the plastic quality sounds just like the way I would describe the plastic on Knight Morpher Commander.

Your description of the plastic quality sounds just like the way I would describe the plastic on Knight Morpher Commander.

Brittle/soft scary? :P

I've been pretty rough with my prototype to see if I could find any weakness. I've had no issues. I think dropping it was the best albeit unintentional test. :)

Archived