in the darkest hour

Rodimus Prime grasped the Matrix and slipped his fingers into the holes on the grips. he could feel its power surging to the surface again. as he lifted the matrix into the air he felt somehow that he was no longer alone. taking a slow long look to his left and right he could see his fallen comrades standing to either side of him and many, many more behind them as well. though they had died giving their lives for the autobot code they stood before him looking every bit as alive as they had ever been in life. ironhide and rachet stood to either side behind his shoulders and behind them farther back were prowl and smokescreen and red alert as well as inferno and grapple, hoist and trailbreaker, wheeljack and windcharger mirage and huffer they and many, many more stood behind him their bodies shining and composed of pure matrix energy and light.

to the very front of him stood alpha trion, and another as well. suddenly rhodimus saw him a tall and powerful warrior whose very form was colored in regal red, white and blue. the great autobot legend himself, he who had so recently haunted his dreams, the very one who he felt the most greif for, the very one. who had been like a father and role model to him. have you come to mock me?, why do you haunt me so? i have not come to torment you Rhodimus. spoke Optimus i appeared to you in your dream when you needed to call forth the strength of deep personel anger to defend your self against galvatron. the matrix generated me from from your memories to see how you would fare against galvatron. you are prime Rhodimus, i come to you because the matrix senses your need when you are in danger and sometimes sends others to offer you guidance in life. what is this power, what are it's limits the matrix? rhodimus asked. a tool, a wish, a powerful weapon to defend our very existance from unicron. the matrix spoke to him. rhodimus immediately recognised the voice the matrix had choosen, Alpha trion.

would i ever be as wise? what may i use it for? there are few incidents in our long history of a prime in posession of the matrix who had been inhanced by it's powers. it has healed you, even changed you for a time. but be warned this power , this... gift may only be used once, Alpha Trion warned him. going down this path again would likely lead to your distruction. it is the power of life multiplied in strength and possibility. it can heal, it can grant life, it can be wisdome or knowledge, kindness or mercy, it can harness life and release it as a weapon, it can create shelter from the storm. it is the penultimate power of being prime. rhodimus considered the situation they were in. unicron would win should he be allowed to live, the entire universe perhaps all of creation itself would cease to exist. One thing was certain though... he must act. how long will the power last? he asked the ancient cybertronian. as long as you do. Alpha Trion said it's strength and purpose are linked to yours Rhodimus felt the burden of leadership wiegh heavy upon his shoulders, but he could also feel the faith his fallen comrades had placed in him. he could feel their strength their hope. what will you do with the power? Alpha trion asked. I will do what i must answered Rhodimus what honor demands. when you use the matrix it will feel as though you have been reborn. for a time you will have powers unlike any you have ever held before.

this event will surely mark you, change you. a new prime for a new age. but what kind of prime you will be is up to you. I beseech you, follow the path of honor and rightousness, do not be led down the path of battle for the sake of the battle itself, we are the defenders of all that is right in the universe, Rhodimus even when defending what is right, or doing what honor demands, costs us or our loved ones, all we hold dear. as quickly as he had appeared Alpha trion was gone. Rhodimus spared one more moment to reflect on what Alpha Trion had said, he had never felt so powerful, so strong, so certain of the path he must take, what he must do. it was time to end this. each autobot placed their hands on the shoulders of another in front and either side of eachother connecting each one to another and through them to Rhodimus as well as each transfered their spark energy into another, and another and another still. blasts of pure spark energy leapt from them directly into rhodimus's body. more energy poured forth from them, as they fed their strength and energy to their cause as each spark returned to the matrix in passing through the link. their energy, their faith poured into him and he held it, stoked it as a blacksmith would stoke a fire, and in turn gave it to the matrix. the matrix was so bright now it shone like a bright silvery white star. Now Rodimus Prime held out the Autobot Matrix of Leadership before him, gazing at its gold and silver construction in wonder.

There was one more task to be done and he had been chosen to do it. he didn’t know why. Why him? Optimus Prime had given the Matrix to Ultra Magnus. Kup was the wisest of them, Grimlock the strongest. i was the one with the untamable fire. Why not one of them? Why me? “I know not how you were forged,” Rodimus spoke to it, “nor what force or mind directs you…but you have never failed Optimus or the Primes of old.” Raising up the Matrix of Leadership, its crystal heart starting to glow, “Let us now join and do what must be done!”. Rodimus said to it, “for our lost world of cybertron and our fallen leader of legend, For those who have given their lives to end this terrible war, "Now," he said, "light our darkest hour!" as he held the matrix against his chest. The matrix's glow became nearly blinding, and with a hiss the casing split and separated away from the blue crystal. Which hovered in midair as the matrix opened in Rodimus Prime's hands Even as the Matrix opened in his hands and unleashed its power upon Unicron he could hear Optimus’ voice again, answering his unspoken question"it is to the younger generation that the wisdome of the elders is passed onto, We know you will not fail us my son.”. Something out of the ordinary had happened within him... and ended as quickly as it had occurred. Was it the same presence? Had it returned? No. This was different. It was an elegant stream of harmonic sound, barely audible and yet so mesmeric, spartan and yet so full. A brilliant light filled the room. There was no fire nor heat, just an inescapably brilliant white light that flooded the chamber with a radiating light like that of a galaxy being born as the matrix pulsed and expelled a scintillating blast of the purest energy as the light of primus coursed through the bowels of unicron's mammoth body as Rodimus prime called forth all of the wisdom, all of the knowledge, and all of the power of every transformer that had given their life for the cause and willed it to aid them in their time of need. It was a radiance bright enough to wash away all details, all lines, all divisions and distinctions. Then light, light brighter than any since the dawn of the cosmos, burst through the shadows and shade that had smothered this landscape. It rushed forth from the matrix like a tidal wave of pure brilliance, scouring the shadows from the labyrinth. The wraith like shadows recoiled from the light and tried to flee, but the illuminated pulse reached it effortlessly. The Shadows reeled and burned as it fell into the deepest darkest areas it could find. And still the wave advanced….Pure enough to seek out the blackest night, the deepest pit, the darkest hour ... and light it.

Archived