Would like some personal thoughts on collecting

Superior Grilled Cheese

My thoughts:

I enjoy collecting. I don't always open the ones I buy in fact only a 1 or 2 out of 10 ever actually get opened but I like looking at the boxed ones and playing with the open ones. But by all means just because they make a TF does not mean I will buy it.

The main thing to ask when deciding if your collection is becoming an addiction is: "Is my hobby (habbit) causing harm to myself or others? Am I neglecting responsibilities to continue collecting what I have?"

Superior Grilled Cheese: I suggest having people answer a few short questions that may help provide insight for both you and them.

1. Have you ever done anything illigal to get a TF?

2. If you and a stranger were both going for the last TF on a shelf what would you do to get it before them?

3. Have you ever skiped a bill or a meal just to get a TF figure? Have you done it more than once?

4. How involved with TF's are you? Is it just the toys or the shows and comics as well?

5. Do you buy figures you don't like just because they are TF's?

Just a suggestion to try and help out. You should probably think of soe of your own though once you narrow down what you are looking for. As for me.

1. Yes, I may have told the clerk a TF had a different price listed for it than it really had a time or two.

2. I would let them have it unless it was starscream than I would feel the old lady deserved what she got.

3. Yup. But not to an extent where It was a TF or the house.

4. I really like the lore. I think I collect TF not just because of the figure but mainly due to the lore behind them...

5. No.

I really havent bought anything in a while though. I did get the Animated arcee but most of the RotF stuff just does not interest me.

Again good luck.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have my 3 month coin.

It's been 3 months since i've bought a TFer. Altho Michael bay and Hasboro's garbage job of converting toys from ROTF to the store are a bit part of that.

My name is Michael. I am a recoverying Transformaholic.

HAHA! i like that...good one.

too dcj91x.........good questions!!

Everyone in this world is nuts. If we were all sane the world would be boring.

Some addictions come from Childhood though. That is where most develop. And no matter what anyone says everyone is addicted to something. Whether its Collecting, drinking StarBucks, or drugs an addiction could be anything.

I agree with that, and childhood is a good point with older collectors.

-to each their own of course, and this isn't a sob story.

When I was a kid I loved cartoons, if it was animated I'd watch it, and of course I wanted the toys.

Now i grew up in a very wealthy area, but my family wasn't rich at all. My parents had alot of kids and things like food on the table and bills took presidence over Optimus Prime

I understood, and never complained. I was happy for what I got, although it always bothered me a bit seeing the other kids in class and around toy beating up on figures.

I wasn't jelious that they had them, I was upset because they didn't aprechiate what they had as they destroyed them carelessly.

Well, I'd always ask for figures and never complain when the answer was no. Things like a trip to Toys R Us never happened for me untill I was able to drive myself.

My parents always told us when we have our own money we could spend it how we wanted.

Now again, I'm from a large family, and we all worked and got the same speech. Some of my siblings save up all year and travel, others invest in cars, some really nice houses...

These are the things they always wanted.

Me, I just wanted some toys :tflaugh

So I figure (with some psych under my belt too) before I get like my oldest siblings who need a therapist to tell them to endulge their inner child, let me spoil that kid now.

He was good. He works hard, and takes care of everything that has to be taken care of. He deserves it ;)

Everyone in this world is nuts. If we were all sane the world would be boring.

Some addictions come from Childhood though. That is where most develop. And no matter what anyone says everyone is addicted to something. Whether its Collecting, drinking StarBucks, or drugs an addiction could be anything.

Would rather have Tiger Wood's addiction.... gorgeous women dying to sleep with him!! :D

My thoughts:

I enjoy collecting. I don't always open the ones I buy in fact only a 1 or 2 out of 10 ever actually get opened but I like looking at the boxed ones and playing with the open ones. But by all means just because they make a TF does not mean I will buy it.

The main thing to ask when deciding if your collection is becoming an addiction is: "Is my hobby (habbit) causing harm to myself or others? Am I neglecting responsibilities to continue collecting what I have?"

Superior Grilled Cheese: I suggest having people answer a few short questions that may help provide insight for both you and them.

2. If you and a stranger were both going for the last TF on a shelf what would you do to get it before them?

3. Have you ever skiped a bill or a meal just to get a TF figure? Have you done it more than once?

4. How involved with TF's are you? Is it just the toys or the shows and comics as well?

5. Do you buy figures you don't like just because they are TF's?

Just a suggestion to try and help out. You should probably think of soe of your own though once you narrow down what you are looking for. As for me.

1. Yes, I may have told the clerk a TF had a different price listed for it than it really had a time or two.

2. I would let them have it unless it was starscream than I would feel the old lady deserved what she got.

3. Yup. But not to an extent where It was a TF or the house.

4. I really like the lore. I think I collect TF not just because of the figure but mainly due to the lore behind them...

5. No.

I really havent bought anything in a while though. I did get the Animated arcee but most of the RotF stuff just does not interest me.

Again good luck.

Gonna answer this for fun, but am not gonna go quote crazy so bear witit it.

part 1 answers

1) yes, but not as often as I've done other illegal things

2) This is a tough one and it depends on availiblity. I've in the past coveted finding the first of a new wave figure. Classics megron especialy comes to mind, but screw the geek on his cell phone for a friend. There have been plent of other times though where I've recommended and even given up a new found figure to an eager child.

-I'm all into this, but come on...

.plus, single mom phone numbers :)

3) yes many times

4) I'm really in it just for the toys. I watch the shows just because they're there. Any other mediea such as comics or games are lost on me. Mainly, it's just the toys

5) I try to buy at least 1 of each mold just to try the figure even if I think I don't like it. I've had alot of suprizes doing so. I didn't start off collecting that way. In the time between Beast Wars and Cybertron I really became devoted to searching out each new mold (always been iffy on repaints) Sublines like the FABs started in the 07 movie line quelled that .

While I'm still eager for new figures, the repitition of character use has helped me become more selective. I normaly just buy new moldes between the scout and leader class.

I only opt for multiples if the figure is really klike and MSIB worthy, or a good army builder

PART 2 ANSWERS

1) sorta...

2) I'm a Transformers fan. Unless it's a rare figure, it can be Optimus or a no name filler guy. I just like seeing new mold figures.

3) TFs have occasionaly fallen by the wayside for bills, but alot of times I've floated a light loan to cover the month for a couple days. That new figure calls man...

Still, the bills are always payed!

4) No, I just like the figures. I make up my own backrounds and with Wheeled Warriors where just as if not more popuplar.

5) Maybe

- I don't limit myself to line, I give all main line figures a chance ( I can always trade or sell them if they suck) G1 AEC Movie Animated, they're all Transformers to me.

Two reasons why I continue to buy figures I may be uncertain about are

-1 I may be wrong and like it

-2 I don't want to be the guy on the boards complaining about something without experiencing it first. I can't say I'll hate something I never tried, even though others are quick to

-yes alot of movie toys kick ass!

I cannot say when in comes to collecting Transformers that I am by any stretch of the imagination OCD or anything however, my first love of certain Scarlet Speedster would definitely be considered just that OCD! But I will get to that one later...

The only real Transformers line in the past 10 or so years that I've been die-hard Pokemon-ish about(gotta catch'em all) is the recent Animated line. I did obsess about the RoTF Jetfire mainly cause I wanted him to go with my RoTF Prime but couldn't find him in my immediate area. The Animated line I was very much into, I enjoyed the cartoon(torrented many episodes), I have nearly every figure and well I was like a rooster in a hen house when I found certain ones in my area that just were not showing up in others, Ultra Magnus was a bit elusive at first if I recall. On a whim, I needed donuts before work and I stopped at Walmart and zipped through toys while I was there finding him on the shelf! That was a long day at work whilst I waited to return to my car and for my hour commute home to open him when I got home!

Most of the time I am only interested in a couple of figures in a line to make them worth my while, Optimus Prime, Jetfire and Jazz are my favorites of any line usually. So unless it's one of these figures I could really care less... most of the time!

1. Have you ever done anything illegal to get a TF? -- nope and I don't do anything illegal like drugs or anything so I don't have to worry about it.

2. If you and a stranger were both going for the last TF on a shelf what would you do to get it before them? Depends on whether I wanted it or not(Animated Arcee I would probably at the very least hamstring the opposing collector for.)

3. Have you ever skipped a bill or a meal just to get a TF figure? Have you done it more than once? I have neglected to pay a bill one month just to buy a Transformer or something else similar though.

4. How involved with TF's are you? Is it just the toys or the shows and comics as well? I am a bigger fan of the comic series than any of the animated series in the past few years. But it wold probably go Toys, Comics, Cartoon in that order.

5. Do you buy figures you don't like just because they are TF's? No! My nearly non-existent collection of Revenge of the Fallen figures is proof positive. I have maybe a handful of figures from that line. I enjoyed the movie and only bought the figures I was really wanting for my collection, Prime & eventually Jetfire were the only 2 until after the first of the year.

Getting back to something I mentioned earlier, my first collection love and by far the most extensive in terms of size and keeping things mint in box etc. I have one of the largest collections of merchandise and what not of a comic book character you may have heard of The Flash. I grew up on Superman and the Super Powers figures and Flash was one of my all time favorites back then. Fast forward about 19 or 20 years ago and they came out with a live action television show. Not that great of a thing but it did get me to pick up the comic book series and then it was all a major uphill/downhill battle with my obsession after that! ALL my friends have made a comment at least once about my OCD tendencies with The Flash in the past ten or twelve years. I read the comic series and for that matter any other title he may make an appearance in. I decided to get cable when the Justice League Animated series started on the Cartoon Network. If there has been any action figure or anything that has been released from Hallmark Ornaments to statues and silly putty with the Flash on it I have bought it! I probably have about six or seven shirts or hoodies that have the Flash on them and will often times wear multiple articles of clothing when I go out with friends. They all hate that and call me their special friend! That collection has sucked most of my adult life out of me but I never get tired of it and I never have a problem finding the money to get something new that may come out.

Admittedly I will be slowing down with the return of a long dead Silver Age Comic Book character to the main focus of The Flash in comics(Which I do not agree with but that is another posting all together.) so that's not entirely bad. There are times when I have cried because something in my collection took a header from the shelf to the floor. And you would too when considering the cost of a $175 statue that is suddenly worthless when the most expensive Transformer I own was only $100! And there are certain things to consider when displaying this collection for me, I have to be able to display the whole thing or not at all otherwise it just looks sad and pathetic. It was the centerpiece of an entire 12 foot wall in my apartment for the longest time and is most likely going to take over my Transformers wall in the next year or so as I consider downgrading my Transformers collection and re-upping the Flash Collection. Especially making way for things like super rare coats and costumes to be displayed like they were meant to be not sitting in a Rubbermaid tote!

Hmmm... will post more later as I think of some things.

HAHAHA Does lying to a US Customs Agent about the contents of your vehicle because you are attempting to smuggle in SE16 Black Megatron over the border?

Archived