Are DW and IDW really G1 to you?

KFGatri

I've read some of the output of both publishers, and it all somehow misses the mark for me. Some of it is excellent - I loved Hearts of Steel and enjoyed All Hail Megatron, but none of it really feels like G1 to me. Even when Simon Furman is the writer, it comes across like an attempt to recreate classic G1. It seems to me that something about it was inherent to the 80s, and trying to redo G1 with modern tone and style just doesn't work, at least for me. I'm not tired of G1 - I loved the Marvel UK reprints, which for me were new material. But actual new G1 stuff doesn't interest me.

By the same token, I love most of the newer versions - BW, RiD, the Unicron Trilogy, Animated, it's all good. They're all based to a degree on G1, but different takes on the basic concept. But bring out a new G1 story, and I'm indifferent at best. Even War for Cybertron - I'm mildly interested because it's a TF videogame, but I'm not really seeing it as G1.

I just seem to feel that while Transformers is almost infinitely adaptable and I welcome the reinventions, G1 was a product of the 80s and is best left to the 80s. I'm not saying others should feel this way - I actually feel I'm missing out on stuff because of this, but I just can't make myself be interested in neo-G1.

I read IDW's comics for a while, but I lost interest when I realized how boring they were. Like you, I did like Hearts of Steel and I wish it was a longer series. Outside of that I really don't care about the new Transformers comics. I read only a few G1 Marvel comics as a kid, so I've now been reading the Marvel series.

I consider it an alternate Continuity for both of them. However I stopped reading the IDW when they released the new ongoing. I can't stomach, the artwork. Looks like something I threw up during Mardi Gra

I try to place it as an alternate reality. But I agree with some of the others the new ongoing is so boring to me. And the artwork seems too cold. With the old Marvel stuff I used to go out and buy every issue the day it came out. With the new stuff I can go months without picking up a book and have no problems with it. That and 90% of the time they have every issue I missed or want still available. So no G1 feel to me at all.

The Dreamwave Comics run on the Transformers was very much a G1 book! They even explained the last fifteen or so years and had they not went out of business it was leading up to the building of Autobot City etc.

IDW though it is supposed to be G1 it seems to have taken more of a tangent than the Dreamwave stuff. I think that all the Spotlights on whoever and the fact that Cybertron is apparently a burnt out wasteland is what makes me feel this way. The Transformers can never go home again and that is just not right!

My short answer to this is no.

Dreamwave was close, but IDW seems to be gist as much a spin off as AEC Movie or Animated. They just happen to have designs that are close to G1 with several very close story tie ins.

Otherwise, they're their own thing.

I have to agree with the Dreamwave comment of them being close to G1 in feeling. I actually have a full run of their stuff. Something not the case with IDW. I really wish they would have gotten permission to finish the DW stories

• 2 weeks later...

As with Bugstomper and Cybcouncil, I feel that Dreamwave's run was very much G1; IDW, not so much. Dreamwave's run was fully intended to distill all of the previous G1 material into a unified whole, pulling information from the old cartoons, Marvel comics, and toys and combining it all into a definitive G1 continuity. IMO, they did a great job. If it hadn't been for Pat Lee's mismanagement of the company's finances, their run could have still been going to this very day.

To be honest, I think Dreamwave's stuff far surpasses IDW's. Whereas IDW's stories have been at times confusing and disjointed, Dreamwave's were always entertaining. Not to mention from a personal standpoint, I enjoy a lot of the Dreamwave artwork more than the IDW artwork.

As a follow up to my previous posting the one thing I didn't like about the Dreamwave stuff was the death of Superion! That sucked and I am happy that the series was cut short cause that just wasn't right. True to character sure, but just not right. And the artwork in the Dreamwave series was more a kin to what the bots looked like during their G1 days. IDW is giving us... well, I don't really know what they are giving us. It's like a mix of Classics meets RoTF meets G1. I still haven't figured it out.

Archived