Masterpiece Ultra Magnus

Yuyuyami

I ordered MP Magnus, Grimlock and the VF-1D 1/60 Yamato and they all came in today, so I'll be doing a review on all three over the next couple of days. I also got a decent camera the other day, so tomorrow or the day after I'll be appending a photo shoot to the end of some of my reviews. I'd do it now, but I'm exhausted.

Anyway, on to Magnus:

Robot Mode:

Magnus is packaged in robot mode, so I think I'll start here for once in my reviews.

Magnus is... Well, he's big. He's also heavy, weighing about five pounds. This can be a bit of a problem, actually, as his feet are neither strong enough, nor poseable enough to allow Magnus to get into many "action" poses, though he handles "stoic" and "gunslinger" poses extremely well.

Magnus has GOOD articulation, but I wouldn't call it GREAT articulation. It's the bare minimum that we've come to expect from transformers in all places but the hands and the head. What are especially disappointing for me are the feet, which cannot go side-to-side or forward enough for most poses, especially with how much weight they have to hold.

As far as detail goes, Magnus is absolutely perfect. The torso is shaped just right for the Prime mold, the pistons and smokestacks are wonderful, the Matrix gives me a nerd-on and those wonderful vents on his shins and their gimmick is absolute perfection.

What I love above all else about this mold, however, is simply how clean it is. When you look at the Seeker mold or the Grimlock mold, there's a lot going on and, while that's appropriate for those figures, there's simply something special about how streamlined Magnus is.

This figure's robot mode is perfect. If it were a little bit lighter, and thus easier to pose, it would be beyond perfect. I give it a 10/10.

Transformation:

The first time through, the transformation can be a little daunting, especially with the head and its cap, which make such a tight fit and pop off so easily if you don't know what you're doing. However, once you understand it, it's pretty easy to do without fear. Almost everything has an obvious place to go and everything stays well, except the tabs at the back bottom of the cab, which are free floating.

The transformation is simple, intuitive and concise, yet complex, amazing and rewarding. I give it a 10/10.

Alt Mode:

The truck mode is the only thing that suffers on this figure, and only slightly in that you can see the shoulder joints where the doors and windows should be. Takara TRIED to remedy that by putting some translucent plastic over the joint and modeling in some detailing to make it look like a window, but it just doesn't work. Aside from that, though, it's wonderful.

What's nice about the trucks, aside from the overall shape and detail, is how well it rolls, which is due to three things: Rubber tires, a working suspension and how damn heavy this thing is.

It's a nice truck mode but it's not the best, due to some transformation joints being visible. I give it a 9.5/10.

Summary:

The MP Prime mold is awesome. It's expensive, my Magnus cost about $100, but it is worth it.

Nice haul! If you like Magnus you'll love Grimmy. Those two molds are the best of the MP line so far. Magnus loses a couple of points from me for not having a trailer, he just looks naked without. (c'mon somebody, make a transforming MP Magnus trailer already!)

• 2 weeks later...

Be really careful with the legs on Magnus. Mine had lost some paint from mild rubbing against the trailer. I was doing some photos of MP Magnus kneeling in the KO MP trailer and the paint scratched off in 1 spot. Highly annoying.

I will be getting Nemesis some day. I hope that is not as easy to ding as Magnus.

I agree about the armor, fansproject or somebody needs to come up with a valid way to make a trailer that turns into armor and make Magnus fully suited. However, it HAS to be done well enough not to cause any damage to the shabby paint job on the legs.

They did such a great job with the classics version, I'm sure they might be able to do the same with the master piece.

I might even except a larger G1 trailer that can accomodate Magnus in robot mode, since I don't think his transform can support him like the G1 with arms folded inwards.

Archived