The Oscars

Timothy.R

i don't really get the whole non comprehensive argument here.

there were tttons of shots of robots just talking..

i guess some people are too old or too blind to be able to follow along with what's happening. i can't think of any scenes that were too chaotic to follow.

the forest battle alone should have won this award.

and i don't see what you're talking about with devastator, guess i'll have to watch the movie tonight.

"All the mominees blow ROTF out of the water just in quality of movie and the seemlessness of the VFX. Everytthing in ROTF stood out like a sore thumb."

you're joking right? just because you didn't like the movie doesn't mean everything about it sucked.

and of course walking talking robots stick out like a sore thumb.. they're not REAL. with your thinking the whole avatar movie is a sore thumb. at least that's how i see it. i can't stand movies that are pretty much 100 cgi.

Shrimp like aliens aren't real either but they blended in on screen better than ROTF TF'S did. Neither are Intergalactic space ships and time portals but they looked seemless in there environments. I also didn't say everything about ROTF sucked. Just about 60% of it IMO and that includes the non VFX components of the movie aswell. I liked the part when ravage went ape shit with his missiles and gattling guns on that bunker!!! that was my favorite part of the movie. I also happen to like movies that are 100% cgi and i also don't like them. All depends if it's done well. Avatar was done VERY well. You can't argue about that.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ROTF amounted in no way shape or form to Avatar. I hated 3d going into the theater, bitched about the glasses which after awhile, I forgot was there because holy damn! Avatar isnt 3d, its REALd. Its so gorgeous that when the movie was over and I took off the glasses, I felt like reality looked fake. Its that impressive. If you didnt get to see it in theaters with 3d then you really did just miss out on a landmark moment in cinema history.

District 9 at least made really ugly aliens have incredible depth and breadth of emotions.

ROTF had lots and lots and lots of complex itty bitty parts, doing too much at a time, and just looked like utter trash. Sure it looked real, like real thrash. The first film was much better in every way IMO.

@ Bugstomper, I agree completely. The story probably wasnt nominated simply because it was so faithful to the book or some shit. But damn it should have gotten adapted screenplay on that alone.

And what the hell is up with Sandra Bullock? She cant act and she looks like a horse, but not more so then Sarah Jessica Parker. Eugh! :tfpuke

While I loved RotF, and certainly agree that it should have been nominated, and that 2007 Transformers should have won, I was blown away by Avatar. Not only the visuals, but the story, sounds, designs, everything. It was just a stunningly beautiful movie. So, yes, I can definitely understand it's winning the Oscars it did, and was hoping it would get Best Picture.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't see what the big deal about Avatar is. Visually stunning, yes, but I found it terribly predictable and boring. It was a decent movie, but just a sci-fi rehash of Dances with Wolves.

While I loved RotF, and certainly agree that it should have been nominated, and that 2007 Transformers should have won, I was blown away by Avatar. Not only the visuals, but the story, sounds, designs, everything. It was just a stunningly beautiful movie. So, yes, I can definitely understand it's winning the Oscars it did, and was hoping it would get Best Picture.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't see what the big deal about Avatar is. Visually stunning, yes, but I found it terribly predictable and boring. It was a decent movie, but just a sci-fi rehash of Dances with Wolves.

Avatar is the good kind of dumb. ROTF is the bad kind of dumb. That is the real difference between the two movies.

Avatar is the good kind of dumb. ROTF is the bad kind of dumb. That is the real difference between the two movies.

Avatar was pretentious dumb, like Beast Machines was. Both tried to be high concept and intelligent and beat the viewer over the head with their "messages". ROTF was at least honest, unpretentious dumb. It's the gross (dogs humping) & annoying (the twins) elements that hurt the movie for me.

Yes, it was a similar story as Dances With Wolves, and had a very similar message. That's one of the things that made it great. No, it didn't have a lot of plot twists or unpredictability, but it didn't need it either. It was a good story with a very profound message. And that is what made it a great movie.

Yes, it was a similar story as Dances With Wolves, and had a very similar message. That's one of the things that made it great. No, it didn't have a lot of plot twists or unpredictability, but it didn't need it either. It was a good story with a very profound message. And that is what made it a great movie.

It not only didn't have any plot twists, it had absolutely nothing original about it! I sat there rattling off what would happen 5, 10, 20 minutes early, and I was right every time! That's not "lack of unpredictability", that's plot-by-numbers. I came away from Avatar even less satisfied than from ROTF, and that's saying a lot.

I'd like to see what Avatar would have been like if the aliens looked like the ones from District 9. I doubt the humans would have fallen so in love with them then... :)

James Cameron did that already, in his movie Aliens. This time it was noble savages in tune with their planet. I guess humans would have been like the Na'vi if we had all of the cool stuff the did. The Na'vi are really no different than if they had been technologically advanced. Either way, it's nothing that humans had or would ever have.

It not only didn't have any plot twists, it had absolutely nothing original about it! I sat there rattling off what would happen 5, 10, 20 minutes early, and I was right every time! That's not "lack of unpredictability", that's plot-by-numbers. I came away from Avatar even less satisfied than from ROTF, and that's saying a lot.

It was a linear story. And yes, the heart of that story is a very old story. Many of your best ones are. It was simply told in a new way. Cameron wasn't trying to create a lot of plot twists or a completely original plot. He was telling a morality play, taking a very classic conflict and presenting it in a new way. IT's very black and white, very straight forward. It was meant to be. It all comes down to expectations vs intent. You were expecting something it was never intended to be. Personally, I loved the movie.

Archived