The Oscars

Timothy.R

I'd like to see what Avatar would have been like if the aliens looked like the ones from District 9. I doubt the humans would have fallen so in love with them then... :)

James Cameron did that already, in his movie Aliens. This time it was noble savages in tune with their planet. I guess humans would have been like the Na'vi if we had all of the cool stuff the did. The Na'vi are really no different than if they had been technologically advanced. Either way, it's nothing that humans had or would ever have.

The xenomorph in Aliens were predatorial animals. The Avatar and District 9 aliens were intelligent. If the Na'vi looked like the xenomorphs or District 9 aliens, but still acted the way they did in Avatar, I wonder if the human scientists would have still been so close to them...

Obviously not. That's the whole point of the western ideal of the "noble savage," handsome, intelligent and morally right in their ways.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a linear story. And yes, the heart of that story is a very old story. Many of your best ones are. It was simply told in a new way. Cameron wasn't trying to create a lot of plot twists or a completely original plot. He was telling a morality play, taking a very classic conflict and presenting it in a new way. IT's very black and white, very straight forward. It was meant to be. It all comes down to expectations vs intent. You were expecting something it was never intended to be. Personally, I loved the movie.

Old stories often are the best, true, but in retelling it, the challenge, what makes the retelling worthwhile for both the storyteller and the audience, is what the storyteller brings to his interpretation. All Cameron added was some pretty CGI visuals. If he had made the sides a little more ambiguous, the story might have been better. Why did the villains have to be completely evil? Why did they have to have the exact same motivation as G1 Megatron, and less character depth? It's the very fact that the story is so black & white that ruins it for me.

It was a linear story. And yes, the heart of that story is a very old story. Many of your best ones are. It was simply told in a new way. Cameron wasn't trying to create a lot of plot twists or a completely original plot. He was telling a morality play, taking a very classic conflict and presenting it in a new way. IT's very black and white, very straight forward. It was meant to be. It all comes down to expectations vs intent. You were expecting something it was never intended to be. Personally, I loved the movie.

Old stories often are the best, true, but in retelling it, the challenge, what makes the retelling worthwhile for both the storyteller and the audience, is what the storyteller brings to his interpretation. All Cameron added was some pretty CGI visuals. If he had made the sides a little more ambiguous, the story might have been better. Why did the villains have to be completely evil? Why did they have to have the exact same motivation as G1 Megatron, and less character depth? It's the very fact that the story is so black & white that ruins it for me.

He made it that way because he wanted it that way. He wanted a very simple, straightforward, black and white story of the fight against corporate greed and the systematic exploitation of indigenous peoples and the environment. There is a very clear analogy between this movie and what we did to the Native Americans, the Africans, and many other indigenous peoples here on Earth, as well as what we've done, and are still doing, to the environment. It's not supposed to be ambiguous. The story wouldn't work if it were.

He made it that way because he wanted it that way. He wanted a very simple, straightforward, black and white story of the fight against corporate greed and the systematic exploitation of indigenous peoples and the environment. There is a very clear analogy between this movie and what we did to the Native Americans, the Africans, and many other indigenous peoples here on Earth, as well as what we've done, and are still doing, to the environment. It's not supposed to be ambiguous. The story wouldn't work if it were.

For me the story didn't work as presented. The exec in charge was halfway acceptable - he was just indifferent to anything but getting the MacGuffinite. But the Marine sargent (or whatever his rank was) was so over-the-top, argle-barlge evil that it kicked me out the story. The G1 Decepticons had more depth to their portrayals. Heck, the Bayverse Decepticons had more depth!

Having been in the military, I've known real officers and NCOs just like him– Just as bigoted, just as prejudiced, just as hateful. He considers the Na'vi to be savages beneath contempt, they hurt, him and he wants them all dead. He's no different than a white supremist such as the KKK, Neo Nazis, or Skinheads.

And FYI, he was a Colonel.

Archived