The Oscars

Timothy.R

I know that a lot of sense of humorless people didn't like the movie..

but come on, one thing i think we all have to agree on is that the visual effects in the movie were truly incredibly.

i don't understand how, or why rotf wasn't even nominated in the visual effects catagory.. there were only three nominations, district 9, star trek, and obviously avatar. .. and in my opinion rotf beats them all. to me it's easier to just throw cg characters into a cg world, but to have them react with the real world, react with humans, transform, combine, blow up, and react within a completely cg world.. how does that not win? i mean, they were so well done that they looked very real. hell, the first time i saw sam slam the matrix into primes chest, i figured that that was a working model.. not just a foam (or whatever) prime resembling block.

anyways.. i was just wondering if you guys had any answers, or what you guys think, especially what the people who didn't like the movie thought of the visuals (not the robot designs, just the VFX)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the visual effects were good but there was too much stuff going on. Clarity was probably an important factor in judging visual effects. Devastator looked really fake, more like it was floating on its setting rather than actually there.

Another reason it didn't get nominated is cause nobody liked it. On top of that, the CGI being way too busy for most people to comprehend what was actually happening. Sometimes less is more.

Hopefully the complete non recognition that ROTF received might make the next one better.

All the mominees blow ROTF out of the water just in quality of movie and the seemlessness of the VFX. Everytthing in ROTF stood out like a sore thumb.

basicly figure the academy loves art house crap. They also have their noses so far up james Cameron's butt that he could film a jar of mayonase for 2 hours and it'll win every catagory.

I bet those guys needed new shorts when they heard he was coming back out of the wood work.

It doesn't matter how good the effects, or anything, Transformers isn't arthouse, it'll never win anything.

i don't really get the whole non comprehensive argument here.

there were tttons of shots of robots just talking..

i guess some people are too old or too blind to be able to follow along with what's happening. i can't think of any scenes that were too chaotic to follow.

the forest battle alone should have won this award.

and i don't see what you're talking about with devastator, guess i'll have to watch the movie tonight.

"All the mominees blow ROTF out of the water just in quality of movie and the seemlessness of the VFX. Everytthing in ROTF stood out like a sore thumb."

you're joking right? just because you didn't like the movie doesn't mean everything about it sucked.

and of course walking talking robots stick out like a sore thumb.. they're not REAL. with your thinking the whole avatar movie is a sore thumb. at least that's how i see it. i can't stand movies that are pretty much 100 cgi.

I didn't understand why Watchmen wasn't nominated for anything. Art Direction, Costumes, Sound, Adapted Screenplay? I just don't understand that complete pass on that entire film?!

While I loved RotF, and certainly agree that it should have been nominated, and that 2007 Transformers should have won, I was blown away by Avatar. Not only the visuals, but the story, sounds, designs, everything. It was just a stunningly beautiful movie. So, yes, I can definitely understand it's winning the Oscars it did, and was hoping it would get Best Picture.

i loved the 2007 movie look but i was a bit let down watching ROTF - too busy to look good imo (don't forget that forrest gump has won best sfx awards - sometimes less is more)

Archived