Cybertron Bad Boys Sideswipe and Sunstreaker

Fenrir72

Quote:

Sideswipe:"I don't break rules;I bend them...a lot"

Sunstreaker:"You can't beat the best"

Contents:

Sideswipe aka Lambor (Sideswipe sounds better....SS as initials in their "twins" nature.)

: Lamborghini Countach "Super car" Sideswipe

: #3 "Flare" missiles

: #1 shoulder mounted flare gun launcher

: #1 photon rifle

Sunstreaker

: Lamborghini Countach custom super car Sunstreaker

:#2 shoulder missiles

:#2 fists

:#3 electron pulse missiles

Background:

If Rumble and Frenzy are the Destron bad boys, well the Cybertrons too have their own "Bad boys". Their bio indicated they were twins......as in unidentical twins (at least in robot mode) In the anime, I remember seeing the two recklessly charging up against the Destrons with their "jet judo". What about their brush against the Insectrons? Or how Sunstreaker knocked out one of the Seeker pursuers of Trailbreaker in the MTMTE pilot episode?

Anyway enough of the nostalgia.....................Sideswipe and Sunstreaker. (Please note: Sidesipe is the Takara version while Sunstreaker is the USA version...........the Japanese version was released as a versus pack with Skids and Buzzsaw)

th_DSC06346.jpg

Side by side

th_DSC06363.jpg

th_DSC06362.jpg

th_DSC06366.jpg

th_DSC06365.jpg

th_DSC06361.jpg

At all sides: Sideswipe the good natured trouble seeker

th_DSC06348.jpg

th_DSC06351.jpg

th_DSC06352.jpg

th_DSC06353.jpg

Sunstreaker The egoistic/sociopath at all angles

The Rant:

G1 Season one deluxe cars were just that, 'bots with car parts sticking out. But boy, do they kick @ss or what? Die-cast and copyright infringing labels notwithstanding........the details were outstanding by 80's standards. Transformation were simple , a twist here, pivot there and voila instant robot warrior.

In Sideswipe's case though, he looked kind of weird with the rear part of his legs looking like well the back of a car. Sunstreaker on the other hand, despite the foot basically the front part of the car looked more, well robotic.....proportioned.

Anyway it must have been for the best that is. I just can't imagine Sunstreaker looking otherwise, same as Sideswipe, again I blame Marvel/Sunbow for their excellent character development of the two (for it's time bro's for it's time......

Despite being stellar pieces of mid 80's pop culture, this figs are really showing their age. Sideswipe and Sunstreakers' paint has started to chip and the horror yellow plastic syndrome on Sideswipe(same with Red Alert but that is for another review)

The rubber tires though are still whole thank Primus.

Fault's aside (they can't change their nature of die-cast, white ABS/PVC plastic ) these boys really gave me many an enjoyable time in recreating their classic fight scenes. Who would have known, the transform mode already was great, their robot mode was even more awesome!

Rating:

Nostalgia: 5/5

Fun factor: 5/5

Fragility: 5/5 (tough alright but paint chipping and yellowing is a nightmare

Availability: 2/5 (TFC series anyway....originals are HTF)

These reviews are making me want to go out and collect all the original 84-85 bots & cons, but alas i remember in '96 when i had just traded weed for ALL the transformers in the town and leaving the 87 pretty much mint condition transformers with weapons with my friend when he died of a drug overdose (actually we were running a drug operation of weed and someone gave him herion in his cociane without him knowing about it, or ever doing herion. A hot dose he got and the dealer thatr wanted his spot got caught/jailed when he did it again the next week to another one of my friends. Two friends in two weeks. :( ) and that night and i lost them to the police. They eventually went back to my deceased friends parents and i tried to get them but they had no proof they were mine, OTHER THEN THE WHOLE TOWN SAYING SO!!! Stupid parents. THEN about 10 years later i ran back into his mother and she said she knew they were mine from lots of people telling her so throughout the years and was gonna sell them back to me at a low cost. When i went to retrieve them back the father steped in and said no! BIG BUMMER so i havent really collected G1 since then b/c it reminds me of my best friend dieing/getting killed off and my heartache of losing such an awesome collection. :(

Archived