Cybertron Mascot:Bumble Bee/Bumble

Fenrir72

Bumble B/Bumble

Function: espionage

Quote:: "The least likely can be the most dangerous"

The rant:

Who couldn't forget the first two transformers ever to be exposed to our young and innocent minds back in 1984? Remember.............Wheeljack and Bumble B scrounging for energon in the most hard to find places?

And boy was I disappointed when I first purchase my Bumble B because he didn't look at all like his animated version

th_DSC06305.jpg

Ever since then it was a great mystery until the advent of the Internet where all the explanation about how Floro Dery "humanized" their faces etc.

Who wouldn't like Bumble B? He was cute, friendly, always clumsy(he sucked at espionage his current function) but had an X-factor that clicked with all of us (heck even now, in Bay's movie, Bumble B almost eclipse Optimus in screen time).

This review btw is based on the original 1985 G1 version (which also includes Takara's TFC edition and Encore)

th_DSC06304.jpg

Beginning from his design, this "fender bending beetle" to quote "Buster" Witwicky was based on one of Takara's pre TF line Microchange series. More in synch with Choro-Q (their wheels are compatible btw), all he lacks are the motorized pull back action.

Anyway back to the face design. It took Don Figueroa to "explain" that the original face is actually a "battle mask"that he puts on prior to battle (See War Within #6 and MTMTE#4 and #6)

th_DSC06311.jpg

* Please note: I applied my own "blue" color optics, added black paint applications on the rear fender and reprolabels' recreation of Bumble B's chest patterns on his box pic.

th_DSC06305.jpg

th_DSC06306.jpg

th_DSC06308.jpg

th_DSC06307.jpg

Aside from that, he is virtually identical to his 1984 release (The 1984 and G2 chrome release btw had "Dunlop" rubber tires)

Also note that the two latest incarnation of Bumble B, his rub symbol is located on the back of the head with the propeller like pattern removed.

th_DSC06315.jpg

th_DSC06316.jpg

See the difference? (the TFC version is prone to paint chipping) :'(

The latest version of the G1 Bumble B as presented in the Encore version, he looks more "realistic" in a sense that he's got chromed fenders, painted headlights and this time stamp graphed blue optics.

th_DSC06314.jpg

His autobot symbol too is stamped graphed.

Overall, even for his time, he was very high tech . A very simple transformation sequence (why IDW changed his transform mode is beyond me ) of a Volkwagon bug to a robot........priceless. One thing I noticed though, my G1 1985 version is as loose as heck. It was like that way back then when I purchased him so maybe the mold was already degrading(?)

Bumble B need not be high tech to enjoy. His design though simple is really well kid friendly. Maybe that's why we all love him. Maybe once I get Alternity Bumble I might change my mind .........get him now as in the Encore version(and don't throw away his other mini-bot colleagues, they also have feelings you know

Rating:

Fun factor: 5/5

Nostalgia: 5/5 (Rotf, eat your heart out!)

Fragility: 3/5 (arms are the weak point and his die-cast back paint is prone to chipping

Availability: Anime face version is really HTF, beware of K.O's of the 1984 version

I have the original Bee and his "pretender robot" predasesor. Hes DEF kid freindly, i think alot of that is he was small and easy to transform quick back & forth. The new bee hopefully will hold the same concept. ANOTHER great nastalgia review my man. :thumb

Archived