ROTF Scout Beachcomber

Amethyst Ed

I managed to find the new Walmart Scout 2 packs yesterday.

Here is my review of Beachcomber repainted from the ROTF Dune Runner mold.

Dunebuggy mode is a nice deep blue with light grey accents. The tires are black with silver painted rims and silver accented engine, too. The underside of the rear is fully painted silver. For what reason, I have no idea. You really dont see it in both modes. But I guess we should be happy Hasbro gave us some additional paint applications... Now if they olny painted the front of the vehicle and the bumper...

There are some pretty nice little details like an interior dashboard, wheel struts / shocks on both the front and rear of the vehicle. There is a trio of nicely painted roof lamps outlined in black. But the yellow front headlamps kinda get lost in all the dull light grey plastic of the front bumper...

Score: 8 out of 10

Robot mode is OK. The proportions of this figure could be a little better. His head is nicely sculpted (complete with signature visor and headlamps) but it kinda tilts down. As if he's looking down at his big belly. Which by the way could really use a small notch in the "chest plate" to completely fold up. His chest is made of the vehicle roof and front windshield. And they are magnificently supported by a multi pin jointed arm that folds down. But it dosnt quite fold up as far enough to compact the chest and "belly". So this figure kinda looks stocky in the upper body area. Not to mention the ball jointed arms are a little long complete with double jointed elbows...

The details of the arms are quite nice. Beachcomber has hands and even a set of "seats and headrests" molded into his upper arms. The ball jointed legs are great and the swiveling waist is a great addition. It's also part of the transformation from buggy to bot...

If the legs were a liitle longer, he might look a little more in proprotion. And if his head could actually sit up straight, this could have been a realy nice figure...

Paint applications are nice. Not terrible, but they could have been used better... A nice deep blue and alot more light grey to fill in the robot mode... It's very close to a shade of white. Just like G1... I just wish the silver was used better and not on parts we never really see.

His articulation is all in the right places, but his design can tend to limit his range of motion. Especially in the ball jointed head and pin jointed chest. It looks like a lost opportunity to increase articulation...

Score: 6 out of 10

If anyone knows how to mod this figure to make him better, please let us all know. He has the potential to be good. But even without his dual gattling gun shoulders, Beachcomber is just an OK figure...

I pretty much agree. I wish he was a dune instead of an armored buggy, but what can you do.

I did take the guns off right away, it gives him more of a Beachcomber vibe.

Archived