Macross Takatoku Valkyries

Yuyuyami

I understand that this is a very nice and durable toy. I'm hoping I'll be able to get my grubby paws on an Origin of Valkyrie set sometime soon. Until then, I'll have to live on your thoughts on the mold:

Pros.

Cons.

Things to watch out for.

Personal stories surrounding the toy.

General Opinion of the toy.

You don't have to keep that format, just the kind of information I'd like.

There's a Macross thread in the Animation section. Hadlen Weltall seems to be the expert on Macross figures/kits. Collectiondx.com has reviews on the figure (variant). I can't access that site right now.

I understand that this is a very nice and durable toy. I'm hoping I'll be able to get my grubby paws on an Origin of Valkyrie set sometime soon. Until then, I'll have to live on your thoughts on the mold:

Pros.

Cons.

Things to watch out for.

Personal stories surrounding the toy.

General Opinion of the toy.

You don't have to keep that format, just the kind of information I'd like.

Well the pros are that it was the first version of the Macross valkyrie. It's VERY sturdy and is sometimes affectionately called a "chunky monkey." Takatoku was the first company to make the toys and they made all the basic valks. Then when they went out of business Bandai got the molds and made the DYRL valkyries. They stand up well to the test of time BUT it is a 25 year old mold so keep that in mind. They were the base for G1 Jetfire so really if you've handled a Jetfire then you've handled a 1/55 valk.

It's still a great toy and I have a decent collection of them from when they reissued them earlier in the decade. Don't have any of the Origin of Valkryie versions so I can't speak on those.

Really my question is why do you want this version of the valkyrie? I would look into Yamato's 1/48 or version 2 1/60 scale because they have come a LONG way from the 1/55 chunky monkey.

While I'm impressed with the aesthetics and accuracy of the Yamatos, I am not impressed with their construction quality, especially the "swing bars." They aren't toys, they're display pieces. I have a little niece who's rambunctious and I like to know that my stuff will last a long time. Also, I want a good condition Takatoku mold Valkyrie for the Jetfire reference.

• 2 weeks later...

So how well does the tail section/backpack stay in place? Is it a soft ratchet or a pure friction joint?

It is neither, but it seems to stay put pretty well. The clip that holds the two halves of the body together in battroid, though, doesn't seem to hold.

[EDIT] don't get me wrong, I love my Chunky Monkey. It's a nice, big, sturdy Macross toy that didn't cost me an arm and a leg like the Yamato valks do. I may have just gotten lucky, though (I bought mine loose with a gun and a repro gun clip for $60.)

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Valkyrie in the mail a couple weeks ago.

The clip in the back holds really well on mine and I don't think it will wear out any time soon, since I depress the clip before I pull it apart.

The way the backpack is spring loaded is weird, too, by the way. Was it that way on the original Valkyries, or is this a retool for my reissue? 'Cause I've heard stories about the backpack swinging all over the place, but I can't see that joint ever getting loose without the toy actually being broken. There's too much give in it for it to wear down easily, yet the spring is more than strong enough to keep the backpack in place in either mode.

Archived