NOMINATE - Combiners

Datastream

Who doesn't love combiners? They've been around since G1 and have made appearances in every series or toyline since. Personally, I'm a big sucker for combiners. I try to pick them up whenever they are available in a new series.

Now let me clear one thing up; I understand the term "combiner" is very broad. So, in order to narrow it down, I'll provide a few types of combiners to help define what should belong here.

Gestalts: Large robots which are formed out of smaller, individual robots. Usually, the smaller robots each form a particular segment of the whole.

Examples - Devastator, RID Rail Racer, Beast Wars Magnaboss.

Power-Up Armor Combiners: A single robot whose firepower has been enhanced by armor made up of either other separate robots or an accessory.

Examples - Cybertron Leader Prime + Wing Saber, City Commander, Energon Landmine

Dockers: A robot, or a vehicle in some cases, which is formed out of a pair of individual robots. In most cases, the robots join at a single line of symmetry.

Examples - Animated Jetfire/Jetstorm, ROTF Ice Cream Twins

Headmasters: Two entities: one smaller, one larger which work in unison to make up the head and the body of a singular robot, respectively.

Examples - Fortress Maximus, Scorponok, Armada Overload

Also, let it be noted that each individual entity in a combiner must change its shape in some way in order to intricately mesh together. So no, most Mini-Cons do not count.

As a post addendum, fan-made combinations would also work well in this category. There's a lot of creative stuff that I've seen people do with figures, so it should have a home too.

I LUV Gestalts !!!

And super-sized vehicles that can make multiple other vehicles, sometimes at the same time :beer

TRIPREDACUS :hbang

Micronauts Battle Cruiser :9000

& most Diaclone, Kronoforms...

RailRacer is awesome, you can still find him on Ebay for fairly cheap too. Just be careful with that center figure, he has a tendancey to be brittle...

The 2 BW combiners I loved because much like Railracer they aren't a bunch of figured hanging off a center guy. They actualy transformed into eachother and thast cool.

My one grip about the BW combiners is that the legs tend to bee unsturdy. Otherwise they are great!!!

Not sure I know what you're talking about. The combiner legs on both Magnaboss and Tripredacus hold up just fine. I do feel sorry for Ironhide, since he's basically Magnaboss. Prowl forms the head and Silverbolt is basically the glue.

I'd rather not resort to eBay for Team Bullet Train... Maybe someone has something on the End Cap.

Especialy on Magnaboss, I wish the knees and hips had a heavy ratchet joint. He tends to be a bit top heavy in alot of poses.

I always likes that they folded up around eachother. It was inovative. One thing thats always fun for me with that figure(s) are the posable tusks on the shoulders.

I've done some cool stuff with those.

Archived