Hard To Find Primes

BaCon

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

look @ my sig that should say enough

Your sig allways reminds me of the episodes, Return of Optimus Prime, when he's been coated in that metal to protect him from the hate plague

OK, Sonic Bomber was part of Big Power which was headed by Dai Atlas who was made Prime when Star Saber handed over the title. neither changed their name, but it doesn't change the fact that Big Power thanks to Dai Atlas was a Prime

Grandus being part of the Battlestar is the same relation and that actualy had a Convoy in there.

Galaxy Shuttle is just real hard to find so I tossed it in. Galaxy Shuttle aside though, by definition of Prime as a title those add on's count. Same as say Jetfire and Overload from Armada you can't fully complete the leader without them :P

Not exactly true there. Star Saber and Dai Atlas were Supreme Commanders, but neither was a Prime. Primes are those Autobot leaders who are Matrix bearers, chosen and upgraded by the Matrix into super powered "Primes". Without the Matrix, and without being upgraded by the Matrix, An Autobot Leader does not become a Prime. Just because Star Saber and Dai Atlas held the rank of Supreme Commander, does not make them Primes.

Movie and Animated say otherwise :P

-hence I woork the grey areas ESPECIALY when it comes to bots ment to combine with a Prime.

Movie and Animated only works in those specific universes. In Animated, it was simply a military rank (and not even the highest), and in the movieverse, it was a geneology, something an individual was born as. This isn't all that far from G1, since it is still genetic in nature; you're either born a Prime, or you're not. In the G1 continuity family specifically though (and in most of the other continuities), becoming a Prime is specifically the result of having a genetic affinity for the Martix that once it is passed to an individual with the proper affinity, it upgrades and transforms him into a Prime, as happened to Hot Rod when he became Rodimus Prime upon receiving the Matrix yet Ultra Magnus did not. Hot Rod had the genetic affinity for the Matrix, Ultra Naguns didn't. As a result, when Optimus passed the Matrix to Magnus, Magnus did not evolve into a Prime, but, when Hot Rod took the Matrix from Galvatron, he was upgraded, transforming into Rodimus Prime. Thus, you are either born with the genetic disposition to become a Prime, or you are not. Star Saber and Dai Atlas never received the Matrix, and were never upgraded into Primes by it. As such, they are not Primes and were never referred to as such. They were simply Supreme Commander.

Well, thats all well and good. In general though, I don't care. Every series, comic, even the figures are stand alone things that counteract and contradict eachother.

Still, there is one place though where I know they all merge and come together in a way that makes sense, and thats my toy room.

Now granted, I don't really care about the provided fiction when it comes to my collection, but I do take notes. I recall an episode of Beast Wars where Primal mentioned to Rhinox once that he would make a good Prime if he tried for the rank. Rhinox declined and said he was content where he was.

Beast Wars is a sequil to G1, so it shows that it's a rank, not just a Matrix compatability issue.

New, lets take the Japanese series. This right here is a HUGE grey area because there never was a proper translation. With that, you can't say that if the series where adapted that "the Supreme Commander" rank would have refered to as "prime" just as much as I can't say it would have been.

These are areas where it's literaly, to each their own

As always Tramp, it's a fun debate.

Well, thats all well and good. In general though, I don't care. Every series, comic, even the figures are stand alone things that counteract and contradict eachother.

Still, there is one place though where I know they all merge and come together in a way that makes sense, and thats my toy room.

Now granted, I don't really care about the provided fiction when it comes to my collection, but I do take notes. I recall an episode of Beast Wars where Primal mentioned to Rhinox once that he would make a good Prime if he tried for the rank. Rhinox declined and said he was content where he was.

Beast Wars is a sequil to G1, so it shows that it's a rank, not just a Matrix compatability issue.

It is a rank bestoed upon one who is able to be transfigured into one by the Matrix. According to a few sources, Optimus Primal is a direct descendent of Optimus Prime. As such, he likely has the genetic affinity needed to become a Prime.

New, lets take the Japanese series. This right here is a HUGE grey area because there never was a proper translation. With that, you can't say that if the series where adapted that "the Supreme Commander" rank would have refered to as "prime" just as much as I can't say it would have been.

These are areas where it's literaly, to each their own

As always Tramp, it's a fun debate.

No. That's because in Japan, such a character would have the surname "Convoy" (the Japanese term for "Primes") which, once again, neither Star Saber nor Dai Atlas have. All of the Convoys in Japanese G1 continuity had a Matrix: Convoy (Optimus Prime), Rodimus Convoy (Rodimus Prime), Big Convoy, Leo Convoy, Fire Convoy (RiD Optimus Prime), etc. all had a Matrix and held the name "Convoy". It is the Matrix which bestows one with the "rank" of Prime/Convoy. Neither Star Saber nor Dai Atlas has the Matrix nor are they named a "Convoy".

Yeah but you left out Beast Convoy, and Leo Convoy Jr who never had the matrix. Well Beast Covoy got it later on for a bit, but he was still a convoy well before that. Leo Convoy also didn't have a Matrix, just a power port link same as.

To take it one step further, in the Japanese fiction there where all different types of Matrix', It was veiwed as a power pack. Especialy looking at the Beast Convoys who were all commanders at the same time just on different fronts, each had their own with no passing on of anything.

I saw the Japanese series, Rodimus passed the title to Fortress in Headmasters. In Masterforce he passed the title on to Ginria at the end. Star Saber and Dai Atlas followed in suit. And again, you can't say yes or no that the rank would have been refered to as Prime if brought over and properly translated. A good indicator for it though is Animated where any high ranking bot was a Prime. To go one stup further, the highest leader wasn't!

It's only in the American fiction that there's just the 1 Matrix of Leadership. That right there brings us back to the same grey area, and brings up a whole new question of just what the Matrix actualy is?

In G1 it was just a record of knowledge attained from past leaders who held it. In Beast Wars it was a window into the Allspark. In Japan, it was just a booster pack?

Lot of room for speculation there...

I will say this though for sure, we are derailing a thread. If a MOD can move these last few posts to another thread more apropriate, this should be continued there.

Archived