I'm confused about the commemorative timeline used in Universe 2.0. . .

Superconductor

I don't get the timeline thing on the new Cybertron Scattershot repaint Overload. It implies this character is from TF Cybertron, but I can't find any evidence of that. It doesn't matter at all, but I was curious about it. Do you suppose they just are lumping it together with Cybertron because it's the Cybertron CD Scattershot mold, or is there a reason I'm missing? At best all I can guess is that it is a reference to Armada Overload (the big red mold that combined with Prime) but this guy is really green. What do you think?

I think your first hunch is right.

Hasbro tends to pull alot of things from the air. When they get one right they ride the homage wave, but normaly I'm sure they're just throwing darts at ideas.

Overload was a Miceromaster too, but Scattershot looks nothing like a car carrier.

Overload was NOT in Cybertron, he was released in Armada and Energon. The story on his box seems to imply this is an update of the character for the third segment of the series. So he's an update of the character for what he would be like if he was in Cybertron. Much like if they had released something like "Generation 2 Trailbreaker" - it would be something new they made up for the line after the fact.

Universe Cybertron Series Overload probably holds a record for being one of the most cross-series characters ever created. He's part of the UNIVERSE line, a CYBERTRON mold, his design is a homage to a GENERATION 1 micromaster, but his character is one who appeared in ARMADA and ENERGON. Yep, that's 5 different series homaged in one toy!

I agree with Liege Evilmus; just go with what you know. That timeline is often wrong. It states that G1 ended in 1991 which is bogus, cos it actually ended in 1993. A lot of 1993 G1 toys were later repackaged as G2 (hence why fans refer to those toys as "G1.5"). Freakin' Hasbro NOOBS!!!

1993's Fearswoop in his G1 (left) and G2 (right) packaging

fearswoop.jpg

Here's a voucher that Hasbro can redeem. ;)

shortpacked_g1g2.jpg

wasn't Turbomasters the last stand for g1, and also only sold in Europe?

I was on TF hiatus then so I'm not sure.

I do know most of them where retooled, slimmed down and added to the G2/Machine Wars line.

Turbomasters came out in 1992 which wasn't the final year of G1. They were also available here and in New Zealand too, but yeah, I don't think they were available in North America. Too bad, they were some pretty cool toys (just with WEIRD colours!). And getting the Machine Wars versions aren't the same because a lot of their best features were taken out, like Thunderclash's launcher which could fire twelve missiles in succession (like a chain gun)! :D

The final year of G1 was early 1993 which saw figures like the Obliterators, Aquaspeeders, Stormtroopers, Lightformers, Trakkons, Sky Scorchers etc. As mentioned in my previous post, these toys were also later repackaged and re-released afterwards under G2, hence the fan expression "G1.5" :) 1992 toys like the Turbomasters, Predators, Autobot Rescue Squad, "New" Constructicons etc. aren't G1.5 because they were never released later as G2, only ever as G1.

P.S.: If you were in Sydney I'd happily invite you to come over to my place and look at these toys. Oh well... look me up if you're ever passing through! (^_^)

I do recall in the start of G2 alot of figures here had the origional logos.

Or at least I thought that, it does make more sense that the end of one line just merged on the shelves with another.

I recall thinking that later G2 figures sucked for giving up on the origional logos, I though they started with them. This makes sense though. Hell thats still happening (animated, movie, universe).

Plus, why would I pay close attenttion? I was getting some for the first time and learning about pot and acid at the time so yeah what where we talking about? Crashing on your couch or something...

Turbomasters came out in 1992 which wasn't the final year of G1. They were also available here and in New Zealand too, but yeah, I don't think they were available in North America. Too bad, they were some pretty cool toys (just with WEIRD colours!). And getting the Machine Wars versions aren't the same because a lot of their best features were taken out, like Thunderclash's launcher which could fire twelve missiles in succession (like a chain gun)! :

I remember the Machine Wars. Weird filler line I bought from KB Toys. The set of 12 went on discount really fast. I thought they were weird looks for most of the characters until I found out the history of them.

Its a freakin general idea of when the mold/original inspiration for the design was released. Like when you go to a museum and see "Roman Hobnail sandles 524BC" it isn't saying that is the 100% exact date but it is saying it is of a design from that approximate period.

Again Machine Wars fell into that line merge for me. I initialy thought they were part of G2 not really looking at the boxes just the pictures (still kicking myself for passing on Prime Soundwave and Starscream, they where $11 all together) Laser Prime just looked so much better!

A couple years later I went into a KB and saw all the figures again after a guy in a TRU said they haven't made Transfromers in years. I saw Beast Wars Scorponock, next to Machine wars toys. I thought both where brand new each pandering to a different type of alt mode.

Scorponock is the figure that started my current collection. Amazing what 1 figure purchased on a whim can do. Shortly after, Transformers came back!

Archived