Your newest figures and your verdict

Sparkless

Why all the beef about RID BB? I haven't handle him personally, but it doesn't look that bad compare to FE. CJ on the other hand, the RID is too far off from FE as far as figure design wise.

Personally I don't think he's horrible. The fact that FE BB is such a popular design makes for double tough comparisons. Now the RID BB makes up for some things that the FE version doesn't have such as double blasters that can mount on the hood, and IMO a better chest without so many separate pieces moving around. But the fact that the head is an unstable platform and it's tough to really get a good natural stand up pose without him always wanting to end up looking down pretty bad. I think that will ultimately be the point where most people judge most harshly.

Arms, legs and everything are just fine. Simply too much meddling with the design of the torso and head.

I was dreading working this week. I was broke until today and was afraid the store I work at would get in deluxe Arcee and Ratchet. I was just saying that with so many BB's already piled up on the pegs that I doubt if my store would get any, so I wasn't sweating it.

Wednesday night the unthinkable. Arcee and Ratchet in my hands and NO money to buy them. So I left them on the pegs and prayed that my check would drop early enough Thursday night into my account that I could go in and check if they were still there. Check dropped at 10:20 and I was at my store by 10:45 and sure enough the pair lasted all day! Ratchet was laying on the shelf, so some mom probably disappointed their kid. Thanks mom!

On to the goods...

Ratchet...BRILLIANT! AWESOME! AMAZING! Seriously one of the very best deluxe figures I've had the pleasure of getting. And I have nearly every deluxe made over the last 15 years. Know that the transformation is NOT easy. Just figuring out how to start to break down the alt mode is pretty difficult. But once you get everything going it gets easier. It's mostly just the initial steps that can be harrowing. When he's done though...HOLY CRAP he his everything I've already said and more. I can't see many people at all being disappointed with this figure. I'll probably go and say he'll go down as the best Ratchet figure made unless something better comes along in the Prime series.

One bummer however are the swords. Crappy soft rubber. This scourge must end!!! Hopefully some enterprising 3rd party maker will come to our rescue on this and any other bits that Hasbro defaces in this manner.

Arcee...Are you really that upset you didn't get FE Arcee? Don't be. This one will do quite nicely. Even if you don't like her better than the FE version, she will do just as good of a job standing in. FE arcee is nice, but too many moving parts in the upper body and the way the handlebars sit behind her knock her down a few pegs in comparison. RID does have back kibble but it stays further down and isn't as unsightly as it is on the FE version and while some knock the wings, I really like them.

Arcee is the opposite of Ratchet when it comes to the transformation. Hers is relatively simple and yet interesting. Right out of the box it shouldn't take you more than 30 seconds. you can even give her a movie like unicycle bot mode if you like that idea. I think of her wings as being useful not for flying, but for being able to jump and glide over distances and down from heights safely. So you can give them a decent reason for being there.

My recommendation: BUY ON SIGHT!

• 2 weeks later...

scored most of the available figs from prime now.

skipped bb simply on the basis of all the horrible comments i've read about him, but loving everything else.

i have to agree, the ratchet is amazingly awesome. the only complaint i have is that his head feels like it should pop up a little more, i don't even mind the rubber swords. tf-ing it back to alt mode can be a bit of a pain in the neck though.

finally found megs today and so far i'm loving him. don't get the hub with my direct tv service so i've only seen 1 ep of prime for comparison to the alt mode and bot mode but there are pics on the package and he looks pretty close to that. (though his alt mode looks like a twisted up pile of plastic more than a cybertronian...jet...thingy)

arcee is alot of fun to tf, and the bfg looks really cool on her.

soundwave is really cool, love his transformation, though lazerbeak is a bit weird

also scorred dotm ultimate prime on clearance for $35 today and the more i play with it, the more i like it. really dig the exo-suit, but the robot on its own without the trailer suit attached looks really wonky. but this thing is really cool and massive. takes up a lot of shelf space.

I most recently came into PRID Soundwave, Wheeljack, Cliffjumper and the Powerizers Optimus Prime and Megatron.

I'd have to say that I am excessively impressed by all these toys...the only disappointments are Megatrons's half-assed alternate mode (not so bad when viewed from above, but viewed from the bottom and sides...this is a complete disaster) and Cliffs unworkable arms. The Optimus Powerizer is so perfect that I completely ignore his back kibble and his gun, which might actually look decent when I paint it and glue it into place. The only thing about the Powerizer voyagers is the complete lack of paint detail. I had Megatron for a day and a half before I had to repaint him completely; Optimus didn't make it 24 hours before I had to start on him. So, I like the Powerizers...but at that price point and being so lacking in painted detail,I don't know if I could fully recommend them. This must be said, however: I am fascinated and amazed by Optimus' transformation; both how well-engineered it is and how well everything fits together.

The PRid deluxes (Revealers?) are another story altogether. Soundwave is utterly perfect in all ways, in all things, and his transformation is so simple and yet deceptively complex and completely intuitive. It's a work of art. Wheeljack isn't far behind--I just wish the toy had a bit more arm articulation (to be fair, the toys is only missing a swivel joint in the bicep, but that joint would work wonders and would have made this toy perfect IMO). The transformation is just as amazing and intuitive as that of Soundwave and as clever as Optimus.' Cliff would be perfect if not for his ridiculous arms, but the rest of the toy is so cool that I try my best to ignore it...especially since I have no plans to overspend to acquire the FE figure. That is reserved for Starscream.

Cliffs' alternate mode is the toy equivalent of "When the Levee Breaks," or the whole Houses of the Holy album. I couldn't find fault with it if I tried, or someone paid me a lot of money to do so.

Just got the TFPRime FE Starscream DLX. And I have to say: what the TFPrime Decepticon toys lack in volume, they make up for in substance. The Megatron Powerizer is one of the best voyagers I've ever seen (in bot mode, anyway); PRid Soundwave is absolutely glorious...and Screamer takes the cake.

The whole cake.

One of the best DLX figures in recent memory.

Prime Soundwave. 2.5/5

Ok I like this guy. He looks awesome. But he has little leg articulation, the spring joint for his head makes for zero head articulation as it just snaps forward continually. His posability just isnt good so thats why he's less then the middle of the pack. His small size doesn't help.

Breaker, I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not getting your reasoning for saying he lacks leg articulation. His knees bend, he has hinged ankles, and the legs can swivel at the hip area. What more do you need? The figure has superior detailing and his arms are some of the more unique designs I've seen in quite a while. He can strike some very cool poses especially if you use the "triple jointed" abilities of his arms. I just think 2.5 out of 5 is exceptionally harsh for this exceptional figure. Just my two cents on Soundwave.

I picked up Ratchet earlier this week and he's ok. Could use more paint and I wish they would have used some sort of locking mechanism for big sections that hang off of the lower back of his legs. Also, why did they go with the super soft rubber for his blades? After getting Wheeljack with his stiffer swords I thought the soft rubber was a thing of the past.

HA Roadbuster - Don't care about Sgt. Recon, but I'm generally quite happy with Roadbuster himself. The visor could have used to be bigger though, as it feels a little small on him, but since all of the Human Alliance toys seem to have a gimmick built into their heads... Also wish that it was easier to get stuff to let go when converting back into car mode. Perhaps I'll be tempted to get the Reprolabels set for him one day.

Breaker, I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not getting your reasoning for saying he lacks leg articulation. His knees bend, he has hinged ankles, and the legs can swivel at the hip area. What more do you need? The figure has superior detailing and his arms are some of the more unique designs I've seen in quite a while. He can strike some very cool poses especially if you use the "triple jointed" abilities of his arms. I just think 2.5 out of 5 is exceptionally harsh for this exceptional figure. Just my two cents on Soundwave.

I picked up Ratchet earlier this week and he's ok. Could use more paint and I wish they would have used some sort of locking mechanism for big sections that hang off of the lower back of his legs. Also, why did they go with the super soft rubber for his blades? After getting Wheeljack with his stiffer swords I thought the soft rubber was a thing of the past.

His legs can basically just stand there. A combination of his smaller footprint and large arms make for iffy weight distribution when trying to do anything else. His knees barely bend at all and his hip joints dont allow enough spread to compensate. This means all he can basically do is just stand straight up with little variation in leg placement because of the limited knees and limited ankles.

My scoring is an opinion dude, sorry it bothered you but there are way better figures out there that I would give a 3/5 before this. I base my scores on articulation, screen accuracy and fun factor. Prime Soundwave has screen accuracy but little else. Shame too because I don't hate Prime Soundwave. Not great though. Maybe if I liked the show I'd think better.

Edit: After playing around with him more I found out you can bend out his lower leg to pop a piece of kibble over a tab to allow more knee articulation. But the knees are so high up on the leg it barely matters. With the garbage small footprint and no horizontal ankle movement I still cant get any poses out of him (aside from standing straight up) that dont require using his arms as a third contact to the ground for stability. If anything I'm starting to like him less the more I dwell on it.