My Fort Max is diseased! Help!

KFGatri

I'm in the process of unpacking after a move, and repacking my stuff to save space. I took my Fortress Maximus out of the box it was in, unwrapped it (I had it in a big plastic bag to protect it, but the bag developed a couple holes) and was horrified to find that parts of him were discolored. :fire My last place was tiny, so Max stayed boxed in the basement. Unfortunately, a bunch of my boxes got rained on. Apparently Fort Max got some damage. It's mainly on part of the central tower and chest (where the radar dish is is actually the worst spot) and a little on Cerebros. Any ideas for fixing the problem?

ive tried this on a few of my own vintage TFs, the objective is to remove the top layer of the plastic. this sounds scary, but its really not so bad, just hear me out. what you need to do to do this is to take a VERY VERY FINE GRIT wet sandpaper, I'm talking like 1000 grit+. this will grind away the discolored plastic, leaving the fresh plastic underneath.

MAKE SURE THE SANDPAPER IS WET/DRY, AS THIS PROCESS INVOLVES WET SANDING, it comes out smoother that way. You can get this at Autozone or any auto parts store, as its used to polish car body surfaces. also I'd make sure to mask off your stickers so they dont get wet and dis-assemble whatever you can for ease of operation. afterward, use a polishing cloth to get the gloss back up to the same level as the rest of the toy.

this is a very very intensive and time consuming process that you should test out on another piece of the same grade plastic, like a spare combiner foot or something. best of luck with this project, as Forty is quite big, Ive done this for spot fixes and minor discoloration, so take that into consideration when attempting this process. Hope this helps!

That is scary...

I hate to say it, but if all the parts are still good, maybe hunt around. You can often find a stripped down Fort Max body on Ebay for cheap.

Then you can either resell this one for parts, or make a battle damaged version.

I though you ment some mold damage. Rubbing alcholol can help with that. Thats a hit though.

THanks for the suggestions - I've for a project ahead of me.

DO NOT SAND IT YET!

get a waterproof container FM will fit in, smaller the better. Now pour in water and Hydrogen peroxide "I believe the more hydrogen peroxide the better, but it should still be diluted", and let fort max sit in the solution for a few days. It should remove all yellowing from the plastic.

If you can remove the yellowed parts without harming the figure then it may be better to put them in a small container. That way you don't destroy any vintage stickers, plus you wont need as many bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide XD. But if FM doesn't have any stickers then it will probably be easier to just soak the whole figure then buy some reprolables :P

Archived