We will see a Robotech, Gundam, Voltron movie before Transformers 3 comes out.

nakobass

Guys...anyone checked IMDB?

VOLTRON (2011) - In Development

ROBOTECH (2012) - In Development

As for GUNDAM...no word of a movie, but...that giant Gundam in Tokyo seems like a LOT of work just to celebrate the 30th anniversary! :schin

*EATS OWN WORDS*

Im only excited for Voltron. DEFENDER OF THE UNIVERSE!!!

Im not sure about Robotech or Gundam. Those two have their own niche within the anime community but anime hasn't attained quite the level that it has in Japan. I wouldn't count out a Japanese live action movie based on these properties though. And to be quite honest I think that they would be closer to the source material. When something like that gets made in America, all sorts of things get changed and lost in translation and the hardcore fans are left with a big WTF!?

Look at Dragonball for instance. SHIT!

Voltron is a little more interesting. It's a classic series that hasn't really been prominent for quite awhile. There are less characters so it's easier to carry over the five main characters, and an update aka changing of them probably wouldn't be harped on too much I'd imagine. I just find it hard to sell a pitch for a Voltron movie though. Robot lions is a stretch. Transforming vehicles not so much maybe but who in the hell would think that making 5 giant robotic lions is practical. I think the vehicle Voltron would be an easier sell to fit with modern times but damn vehicle Voltron sucks so hard.

To tell you the truth I'd rather see Voltron receieve a reboot in the form of straight to dvd animated movies ala The Avengers, Wolverine, The Hulk, Iron Man, etc. It'd be a lot more awesome and a lot less pain in the ass of the fandome.

EDIT: I don't think your time tables are generous enough there. To meet those prospective deadlines Robotech would have to start filming immediately. Voltron and Gundam would need screenplays, go through countless rewrites, casting, filming, post production including vast amounts of CGI work, editing etc etc. and without the vast budget that Transformers has. And to meet those deadlines they better start soon.

Your wrong about Robotech, if any series related to robotech would lose things in translation, it would be Macross. Robotech is entirely different, it';s three Macross series wrapped into one English package. Robotech was never Japanese.

Oh just wait until Michael Bay gets his hands on the property. :tfevil

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know for all those people who want to see giant robots battleing I hope mechwarrior and voltron does it for them and they leave Transformers alone.

Honestly I just want to see a TF movie about Transformers and not about humans having to deal with giant killer robots.....

You know for all those people who want to see giant robots battleing I hope mechwarrior and voltron does it for them and they leave Transformers alone.

Honestly I just want to see a TF movie about Transformers and not about humans having to deal with giant killer robots.....

The difference that sets them apart is that Transformers aren't being driven around by humans. In that aspect I think Voltron and co. are better off. Unless :awsum fukks it up :P.

Im not sure about Robotech or Gundam. Those two have their own niche within the anime community but anime hasn't attained quite the level that it has in Japan. I wouldn't count out a Japanese live action movie based on these properties though. And to be quite honest I think that they would be closer to the source material. When something like that gets made in America, all sorts of things get changed and lost in translation and the hardcore fans are left with a big WTF!?

Look at Dragonball for instance. SHIT!

Voltron is a little more interesting. It's a classic series that hasn't really been prominent for quite awhile. There are less characters so it's easier to carry over the five main characters, and an update aka changing of them probably wouldn't be harped on too much I'd imagine. I just find it hard to sell a pitch for a Voltron movie though. Robot lions is a stretch. Transforming vehicles not so much maybe but who in the hell would think that making 5 giant robotic lions is practical. I think the vehicle Voltron would be an easier sell to fit with modern times but damn vehicle Voltron sucks so hard.

To tell you the truth I'd rather see Voltron receieve a reboot in the form of straight to dvd animated movies ala The Avengers, Wolverine, The Hulk, Iron Man, etc. It'd be a lot more awesome and a lot less pain in the ass of the fandome.

EDIT: I don't think your time tables are generous enough there. To meet those prospective deadlines Robotech would have to start filming immediately. Voltron and Gundam would need screenplays, go through countless rewrites, casting, filming, post production including vast amounts of CGI work, editing etc etc. and without the vast budget that Transformers has. And to meet those deadlines they better start soon.

Your wrong about Robotech, if any series related to robotech would lose things in translation, it would be Macross. Robotech is entirely different, it';s three Macross series wrapped into one English package. Robotech was never Japanese.

You're wrong, too. :P At the time of Robotech's production, there was only one Macross series. The remaining two-thirds of the series came from two other series known as Mosepeda, and Southern Cross, and they had nothing to do with each-other. (outside of piloted mecha, and combat with alien races..) Voltron's the same way, consisting of Go-Lion for Lion Voltron, and some other shows for the Vehicle and "Gladiator" Voltrons.

Anyhow, I could believe the Voltron timeline. It's supposedly been in production for ages, as far as script writers and finding a director goes.

Gundam, I'm not so sure about. They've tried to adapt it for film twice, and nothing really came from it. Once during the early 80s, Syd Mead was a mechanical designer. The project was canceled due to legal issues...and then the other was G-Savior.

The difference that sets them apart is that Transformers aren't being driven around by humans. In that aspect I think Voltron and co. are better off. Unless :awsum fukks it up :P.

Start the petition now to ban him from touching this property! :tflaugh

I think Robotech could be just as good or even better then Transformers. When you see a giant Transforming robot get blown to bits, you know a human was there losing his life. It would have a deeper impact on people. A movie just about Transformers would be cool as a direct to video movie, but would be really boring as a live action movie.

If Robotech is just as good as Transformers, I'll be happy. I really want to see those Kill'em all missile attacks in live action. How cool would that be!

You probably know what the all the Hollywood execs are saying? Something on the lines of this.

Exec 1: Dear lord. This is all the scripts we got?!? WE CAN'T HAVE THE RISK OF INVESTING IN A ORIGINAL IDEA!!! Just Google popular kid's shows.

Exec 2: Hmm... Voltron seems to have a large established fan base. Wow. We can milk this franchise for a Gazmillion dollars in profit.

Exec 1: Good work. Now we just need a writer and director then were all set. Hmm... I hear Justin Marks can write out a script relatively quick.

Exec 2: Hold on... The only problem is... the robots are lion cat... looking... things.

Exec 1: Simple. Update the franchise. Just make them into uh... vehicles. It worked for that Transformers movie.

Exec 2: Didn't Transformers transformed into vehicles in the first place?

Exec 1: Ah.. it doesn't matter what they transform into as long as the kids think its cool. Now e-mail Marks and ask him for a rough treatment of the script.

2 years passed

The summer of 20XX

Audience response to the film

Critics: Travesty to modern day film making.

General Audience: It was a fun blockbuster. Almost as good as Transformers.

Kids: OOOO.... Colorful

Fans with low expectations: Well better than nothing.

Skeptic Fans: Why God? Why?

Hardcore Fans (split between): YOU RAPED MY CHILDHOOD!!! and BEST MOVIE OF MY LIFE!!!

Rapeing of our childhood is a Hollywood superpower I think..... Any ways. Why come up with something new when you can destroy something someone else has already done better?

Well, I don't know about Robotech and Voltron, but Sunrise has confirmed a Gundam 00 movie coming out next year and a Gundam Seed movie set to come out this year, but the writer lady got cancer, so who knows.

I'd love to see more giant robot movies, but I think the biggest obstacle for these franchises especially Gundam and Robotech is that the stories were always very character driven with the robots being secondary or in the background. Something Hollywood doesn't seem to want to spend time with at the moment.

Archived