We will see a Robotech, Gundam, Voltron movie before Transformers 3 comes out.

nakobass

I just realized that Transformers 1 and ROTF is just the beginning. Mark my words, we will see a Robotech, Gundam, or Voltron movie before Transformers 3 comes out in 2012. Whether you liked the Transformers movies or not. They made Dreamworks, Paramount, and Hasbro huge amounts of money. Every other movie studio will be jumping on the Big Fing Robot bandwagon soon. Warner Bros already has the rights to Robotech. They may have got it just for the hell of it, but after seeing how much money Transformers made, I'll bet they are looking at Robotech a lot more seriously now, as well as Voltron. Gundam won't be far behind after that. Will they be any good, who knows, but I'm just happy Transformers has opened the door to Giant Robots on the big screen.

My prediction:

Robotech by summer 2011

Voltron by spring 2012

Gundam by summer 2013

What do the rest of you guys think?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude Robotech'll prolly be next year. There's already a production company backing and ome roles have been chosen.

Im not sure about Robotech or Gundam. Those two have their own niche within the anime community but anime hasn't attained quite the level that it has in Japan. I wouldn't count out a Japanese live action movie based on these properties though. And to be quite honest I think that they would be closer to the source material. When something like that gets made in America, all sorts of things get changed and lost in translation and the hardcore fans are left with a big WTF!?

Look at Dragonball for instance. SHIT!

Voltron is a little more interesting. It's a classic series that hasn't really been prominent for quite awhile. There are less characters so it's easier to carry over the five main characters, and an update aka changing of them probably wouldn't be harped on too much I'd imagine. I just find it hard to sell a pitch for a Voltron movie though. Robot lions is a stretch. Transforming vehicles not so much maybe but who in the hell would think that making 5 giant robotic lions is practical. I think the vehicle Voltron would be an easier sell to fit with modern times but damn vehicle Voltron sucks so hard.

To tell you the truth I'd rather see Voltron receieve a reboot in the form of straight to dvd animated movies ala The Avengers, Wolverine, The Hulk, Iron Man, etc. It'd be a lot more awesome and a lot less pain in the ass of the fandome.

EDIT: I don't think your time tables are generous enough there. To meet those prospective deadlines Robotech would have to start filming immediately. Voltron and Gundam would need screenplays, go through countless rewrites, casting, filming, post production including vast amounts of CGI work, editing etc etc. and without the vast budget that Transformers has. And to meet those deadlines they better start soon.

I actually think Robotech would tranlate better to live action then Transformers. Its really just a alien war story around a love triangle. I'm sure they will change a lot, but I expect them to. Still, how cool would it be to see humans fighting in giant robots in live action. A grade above Battlestar Galactica CGI should do just fine. If they do Voltron, they have to do the Lions first. Only a few people remember vehicle voltron. Gundam maybe iffy, but if Robotech and Voltron make Box Office Gold, I'll bet it would be next.

Guys...anyone checked IMDB?

VOLTRON (2011) - In Development

ROBOTECH (2012) - In Development

As for GUNDAM...no word of a movie, but...that giant Gundam in Tokyo seems like a LOT of work just to celebrate the 30th anniversary! :schin

Im not sure about Robotech or Gundam. Those two have their own niche within the anime community but anime hasn't attained quite the level that it has in Japan. I wouldn't count out a Japanese live action movie based on these properties though. And to be quite honest I think that they would be closer to the source material. When something like that gets made in America, all sorts of things get changed and lost in translation and the hardcore fans are left with a big WTF!?

Look at Dragonball for instance. SHIT!

Voltron is a little more interesting. It's a classic series that hasn't really been prominent for quite awhile. There are less characters so it's easier to carry over the five main characters, and an update aka changing of them probably wouldn't be harped on too much I'd imagine. I just find it hard to sell a pitch for a Voltron movie though. Robot lions is a stretch. Transforming vehicles not so much maybe but who in the hell would think that making 5 giant robotic lions is practical. I think the vehicle Voltron would be an easier sell to fit with modern times but damn vehicle Voltron sucks so hard.

To tell you the truth I'd rather see Voltron receieve a reboot in the form of straight to dvd animated movies ala The Avengers, Wolverine, The Hulk, Iron Man, etc. It'd be a lot more awesome and a lot less pain in the ass of the fandome.

EDIT: I don't think your time tables are generous enough there. To meet those prospective deadlines Robotech would have to start filming immediately. Voltron and Gundam would need screenplays, go through countless rewrites, casting, filming, post production including vast amounts of CGI work, editing etc etc. and without the vast budget that Transformers has. And to meet those deadlines they better start soon.

Your wrong about Robotech, if any series related to robotech would lose things in translation, it would be Macross. Robotech is entirely different, it';s three Macross series wrapped into one English package. Robotech was never Japanese.

They made a movie(TV) for Gundam called G-Savior, it was on par with BSG from the 80's and the GFX where passable, but not great and the story was so-so. I would like to see a new one made but would prefer it be based off the 08th series, so it's not buried in mystical/mythical teens piloting huge mecha. Guess that nukes most of the rest of the Gundam series eh? :lol

I have heard talk of a Voltron movie, but it seems to get shot down in the writing stages or earlier. Perhaps with the TF flicks breaking serious bank will help change that. I just hope they stick to the five lions. Could you imagine 15 characters and vehicles fighting for screen time? The writers would off themselves eventually.

Robotech would make a very decent one to do, but I think it would be hard to decide how to go with the tech in the film. I myself would want to see the old style veritech fighters like the VS-1J for an example, along with the larger defense mecha like the Spartan, Raidar-X, MAC III Monster, Etc. Others would want to see the modern/current era designs and/or stories. It would also most likely be a 2 or 3 part series and would benefit from shooting and releasing like the LOTR series. The stories inside the main plot would help flesh out characters and build for the needed suspense and drama to boot.

I think a fusion betweem the VF-1 and the Alpha Fighter would serve the movie well. In any case, they has to have the kill'em all missile attack in it. Tobey need to leave Spider-Man alone and focus on Robotech. Its time for someone else to play Spider-man.

Gundam should be a straight up war story with space colonies. Maybe with the lead being Justin Long. He looks like a Amuro Character to me.

Hi, guys. First post here. I was a big TF and Robotech fan back in the '80s.

One thing that is worth mentioning about the potential Robotech movie is that in Robotech one of the key elements of the movie was the limitless "green" plant based energy source that was Protoculture. Now, granted, the Protoculture ended up being a lot more than that to the Invid, but hey, stay with me here.

That would fit perfectly with today's "green energy" trendiness.

Dragon ball was surprising, but hell disappointing at the end.... . I like the manga and anime so much but the movie is a total crap. I had imagined of Dragon Ball movie since I watch the Matrix. I always thought that the Matrix fighting scenes might be inspired by Dragon Ball, like flying fights, super fast punch and kick trade off..

It's very exciting to hear about giant mecha live action movie coming up. I like robotech/macross and voltron.. so I won't get too excited before at least have a clue what kind of movie they're in...

Archived