Review: Shout Factory Matrix Of Leadership DVD Box Set

Blitz-Wing

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shout Factory fixed the problems with Heavy Metal War and Fire On The Mountain that were due to Rhino using the error-riddled original film masters.

I have not come across anything different in the later seasons that Shout Factory fixed. For instance, Child's Play is still full of errors.

I have no idea if those errors were in the broadcast version or not. Maybe someone here does.

Also, the first half of season 2 still has season 1 bumpers like the Rhino release (can't remember if that is how they aired) and again, just like the Rhino version, only two of the five parts of Five Faces of Darkness have the correct opening sequence (those I am certain did not air that way).

How long did the set take to ship, and what carrier was used? What is the return address? I ask this because mine is on the way as of today, the 13th. Also, I have seen pics of this set from a few people now, and the box is damaged in almost every one! Is Shout! Factory doing anything about this? Are they packed without care?

-JT

How long did the set take to ship, and what carrier was used? What is the return address? I ask this because mine is on the way as of today, the 13th. Also, I have seen pics of this set from a few people now, and the box is damaged in almost every one! Is Shout! Factory doing anything about this? Are they packed without care?

-JT

Yeah. Mine had one corner kind of smooshed like the pictures on the website. The packing seemed okay. Maybe they've been shipped once before though, you know? They didn't necessarily put them together in the warehouse they are shipping them from now.

True. They were probably assembled in China and beat to hell during the voyage on the water. Oh well. I received a reply to my shipping inquiry, and it was sent USPS Priority Mail on the 10th. So, hopefully mine will arrive today.

EDIT: Nope. Hopefully tomorrow. Hopefully not melted.

I wanted to give an update on this review based on my own set which I received on the 7th.

On discs 12-15 the episodes that are printed on the 2 boxes do not match the actual discs. Disc 12 actually has Starscream's Ghost on it and disc 13 has Thief in the Night. Now from there all the episodes afterwards are out of order due to disc 12.

Also the discs will play on a Samsung BD-P3600 (firmware 1.03) but the menus do no come up only audio is played. The FBI warning no problem, Shout Factory and Hasbro fanfare no problem just the menus. You have to hit the Blu-Ray/DVD buttons randomly to start playing an episode.

Now the discs do play correctly on my Pioneer, Oppo DVD players and my Xbox 360 so this is not a problem with the discs, just the Samsung BD-P3600. Overall its a great set and I hope everyone has a good day. :wave

Also the discs will play on a Samsung BD-P3600 (firmware 1.03) but the menus do no come up only audio is played. The FBI warning no problem, Shout Factory and Hasbro fanfare no problem just the menus. You have to hit the Blu-Ray/DVD buttons randomly to start playing an episode.

Now the discs do play correctly on my Pioneer, Oppo DVD players and my Xbox 360 so this is not a problem with the discs, just the Samsung BD-P3600. Overall its a great set and I hope everyone has a good day. :wave

Welcome to the site. I have a Samsung BD-P1600 and didn't encounter any issues. Have you done a firmware update? There could be a corruption with the current firmware installed. The only difference between the 1600 and the 3600 is that the 3600 has an ethernet port. Doesn't seem worth the extra $50+ to me IMO.

The firmware 10.3 was the update. I have been on the phone with Crutchfield (purchased from them) and Samsung support. They told me to unplug the unit and wait an hour.

I have applied the firmware now 4 times, once by wireless and 3 by cd. Still same problem with the menus. I have even asked can I downgrade my firmware to the prior version? I had no problems with it then.

Wow. That is a bummer. Unfortunately, I don't think you can downgrade firmware. At this point, I would claim lemon law and ask Crutchfield or Samsung for a warrantied replacement.

Archived