Murder!

Breaker

In Prime's defense, Demolisher had already caused major destruction and had to be stopped. I personally think Prime finished him off like he did because they weren't going to take any prisoners.

So "they weren't taking prisoners" is legal justification for executing unarmed, injured soldiers?

Really, they shot Demolisher in the face because they didn't feel like loading him onto a plane.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is fair to say that Sideswipe didn't need to cut Sideways in half, he could simply have disabled him rather than outright killing him.

TBH I had more of a problem with the American millitary being regarded as the be all and end all armed forces wise placing them as more important and focussed upon than the Autobots, it was cool seeing humans fighting with the autobots but it was all still a bit like the Autobots didn't really need to be there a lot of the time. but I digress.

the Autobots definitely seem to be in more of a grey area in the movies than in other media, to the pointwhere the only difference between them and the Decepticons is that the Autobots don't fire upon humans.

In Prime's defense, Demolisher had already caused major destruction and had to be stopped. I personally think Prime finished him off like he did because they weren't going to take any prisoners.

So "they weren't taking prisoners" is legal justification for executing unarmed, injured soldiers?

Really, they shot Demolisher in the face because they didn't feel like loading him onto a plane.

But there's no reason to assume that Demolishor, Sideways or ANY Decepticon would even allow themselves to be taken prisoner. Demolishor, in particular, looked like he would rather die in battle than be taken prisoner--which is exactly what happened. Even if they did surrender, what would be in store for them if Megatron got ahold of them after the fact? Surrender is not an option for them.

This aspect of the Autobot/Decepticon conflict (with regards to the Bayverse) is actually one of the more interesting aspects of ROTF, and I'm not certain how intentional it was was, if this was the approach that was planned. This treatment of the TFs, the Autobots and Decepticons as little more than opposing sides in a war (and whittling away somewhat at the 'good guy/bad guy' aesthetic) is actually kind of refreshing to me. The Autobots should be battle-hardened from a millenia of warfare. They should be embittered. Some of them should take more than a little unbridled joy in the absolute destruction of their enemies.

As Tramp pointed out, Sideways is a courier. That he is not on the front-lines makes no difference. Imagine you are an Autobot. You don't know what kind of information or goods this particular Decepticon is attempted to deliver. As the viewer, you don't know what kind of information or goods he has delivered in the past hundreds of centuries that has helped kill off X-amount of your comrades in arms. Would you let him live? After living through this war without end? After seeing the Decepticons rack up such a high body count prosecuting this war which has now led to the depletion of your home world?

I took Optimus' execution of Demolishor as yet another take on the Optimus Prime persona: he'd just as soon the war be over, he truly believes in his credo of freedom being the right of all sentient beings, and he has expressed pain and regret over the destruction of Decepticons (Megatron, no less!). But his credo won't stop the war, or stop one Decepticon from engaging in wanton destruction just because they can. And their conflict has now spread to another planet...which adds more impetus to Prime checking his core beliefs at the door and engaging the enemy on their terms--the better to more expediently and efficiently expunge the Decepticon presence on Earth, thusly sparing this planet the horrors of war that the Autobots have first-hand witnessed. Besides, I'd assume that military law is to law what military music is to music, under those conditions. What legal ramifications would there be in the Autobot/Decepticon War? There are none.

Now, what I have a problem with is that the Decepticons seem to be made of much less sterner stuff than the Autobots...Decepticons just dropped like flies. It would have been nice to see the casualties spread out over both sides. It's hard to buy the Bayverse Decepticons as a credible threat when even the U.S. Military can pretty much have their way with any random Decepticon.

^^^ It think Optimus Prime's internal struggle with stuff like this could be an interesting theme to explore. After all, if Megatron is his brother in the movies, then he might have a little of that darkness somewhere within him, and some kind of internal struggle not to give in to it might be something that could at least be mentioned, if not explored in detail.

^^^ It think Optimus Prime's internal struggle with stuff like this could be an interesting theme to explore. After all, if Megatron is his brother in the movies, then he might have a little of that darkness somewhere within him, and some kind of internal struggle not to give in to it might be something that could at least be mentioned, if not explored in detail.

It's extremely interesting. And if that produces a Bayverse Nemesis Prime, well...that'd be stupendous. It would be nice to see them explore the psychological aspect of the Autobot/Decepticon war, and not from a human standpoint. We've seen enough of them in the Bayverse. I want to see Prime grapple with whatever inner demons he may have, I want to see what made Ironhide and Sideswipe so bloodthirsty, heck--I want to see what's going on in Ratchet's head. What toll does the war have on him? I want more Megatron. I want to really see the Bayverse sit down and tackle the motivations of what should be the MAIN protagonist in the Bayverse. God, you can say the same thing about Screamer. And then let us see what life is like for the Decepticon cannon fodder.

The Bayverse has THE platform now to do a lot of really cool things within the TF mythos outside of some incredible fight scenes and special effects.

It's extremely interesting. And if that produces a Bayverse Nemesis Prime, well...that'd be stupendous. It would be nice to see them explore the psychological aspect of the Autobot/Decepticon war, and not from a human standpoint. We've seen enough of them in the Bayverse. I want to see Prime grapple with whatever inner demons he may have, I want to see what made Ironhide and Sideswipe so bloodthirsty, heck--I want to see what's going on in Ratchet's head. What toll does the war have on him? I want more Megatron. I want to really see the Bayverse sit down and tackle the motivations of what should be the MAIN protagonist in the Bayverse. God, you can say the same thing about Screamer. And then let us see what life is like for the Decepticon cannon fodder.

The Bayverse has THE platform now to do a lot of really cool things within the TF mythos outside of some incredible fight scenes and special effects.

Brilliant! Brilliant! BRILLIANT!

A movie... called TRANSFOMERS... that is about... TRANSFORMERS! WHAT A NOVEL IDEA!

(Please forgive me, I think I've gone insane in the wake of my personal ROTF dissapointment :P )

A movie... called TRANSFOMERS... that is about... TRANSFORMERS! WHAT A NOVEL IDEA!

(Please forgive me, I think I've gone insane in the wake of my personal ROTF dissapointment :P )

Seriously. How in the world do you make a movie called Transformers, complete with sequel, and have them both be mostly about HUMANS??? And these humans, no less?

^ I've been saying that all along. The Bayformers are giant fighting robots not Transformers.....

But any ways. People are always adding the argument that the decepticons are bad because they did/do this this and this but all the things they are pointing out are from other media not the movie itself. Based on just the movie and nothing more the Autobots did a lot worse crimes than the decepticons.

But again that's my opinion....

Seriously. How in the world do you make a movie called Transformers, complete with sequel, and have them both be mostly about HUMANS??? And these humans, no less?

This.

^ I've been saying that all along. The Bayformers are giant fighting robots not Transformers.....

But any ways. People are always adding the argument that the decepticons are bad because they did/do this this and this but all the things they are pointing out are from other media not the movie itself. Based on just the movie and nothing more the Autobots did a lot worse crimes than the decepticons.

But again that's my opinion....

For me, it's the way the 'Cons are portrayed in the movie. The 'Cons--especially Megs--view humanity with the same regard we do for roaches, and have no compunctions with destroying any and everything around them (humans included) to get the AllSpark and destroy the Autobots. The Autobots are kind of polarized on the issue, but they are at least content to follow their leader who has compassion for humanity, is quick to realize his complicity in the war and works with the dominant species of the planet they are now marooned on to collar the AllSpark and destroy the Decepticons. The Decepticons look--and are--worse because they have no true moral compass. The Autobots, at the very least, have Optimus Prime.

Archived