ROTF : Supreme Devastator pic, text, and video review

frenzy_rumble

hasbro doesn't market movie toys to collectors. if that were the case, they'd have made Devy here much nicer and justified a $200 price tag. We've seen them try lots of times, and the SAME 25th anniversary edition Primes still sitting on the shelf for 4 months now proves that.

Honestly the quality + price are putting Devastator into a tough spot... most stores I've been in lately already have shelves full of LDR class figures. Kids (anyone under 17) don't buy $50 or $100 toys, they can beg, and after a few months *might* get a console game....

so, (a) I don't see kids buying this and (b) I don't see collectors sweeping them off the shelves either.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First, what kid has $100 to drop on a toy, this was clearly ment for the whiny collector who is more likely to have the $100.

No dude. That toy is meant for kids age 5-10 and their parents (who happens to be adults WITH money and that are NOT necessarily fans - there are TONS of them out there) will pay for it. Some parents buy cheaper toys, some parents can easily afford the more expensive ones regardless of the economical situation.

Second, those trucks are huge, and the reason given was that an individual bot modes would take away from structural integrity and articulation.

The figure has no articulation due to it's weight, there's still plenty of play room given the size of the individual pieces, so I ask for a bazillionth and one time knowing the excuses, and seeing the product.

It has articulation: shoulders (2), elbows (2), hips, knees, ankles. Tons of other well-liked Transformers have the same kind of articulation. If you already own the 4 already released Constructicons (I do), you would quickly understand that most figures cannot achieve both the proper robot mode and Devastator component at the same time because of how they're designed. There's a lot of "anime magic" in how they transform onscreen. And it's been explained a million times that even if they could achieve their proper leg modes, multi-jointed Rampage and Long Haul would easily collapse under the resulting weight or would be extremely unstable at best. That's not the kind of toy you want to sell to kids. The regular movie figures are already complex enough as they are without trying to confuse the kids even more with a third (thinking about Mixmaster here - although his 3rd mode looks more like a fan mode than anything) and a fourth mode.

And since they did it, with the amount that they are charging, with it falling very short of the advertised size, yes, EPIC F'ING FAIL!!!

What advertized size? Hasbro never claimed the thing would be 2'-tall. It was a fan with zero sense of scale who first made the claim and the entire fandom jumped on his bandwagon. And even if the combined form is only a couple inches taller than a Leader, I hope you do realize the massive difference in weight and bulk. Plus, Devastator is shorter than he could technically be because of how he stands.

I am watching ROTF on my laptop right now and in the scene where the Constructicons merge, Devastators face forms from the front end of Mixmaster not the back end. They couldn't make the cab end of the cement truck transform into a face? WTF.

25th Prime would have been more appealing IF it was at least more uniform in color. The Diecast part was pink!?! Good for collectors who skipped on that. If Hasbro didn't drop the ball, yeah it would have sold alot better.

Back to Devistator, yes, there are some parents who can buy Junior a $100, even still, from what i've seen(and i know alot of well to do people with kids) they wont.

Case in point, how many kids do you know that own Ultimate Bumblebee as apose to collectors.

Same goes for the Prime voice changer.

Believe me, Hasbro knows their audiance, they don't catter to them, but they know them.

Now yes, Supreme Devistator does have all the joints a regular figure has, however, from the review, most can't be used due to balance and weight.

Concerning fitting in the individual robot modes. Well of course they couldn't make them as detailed as the individual figures(only missing Demolisher cause I don' want it), but they could have something more then nothing. There's plenty of room to make it happen. The articulation and gimmick on the combined mode isn't worth the sacrafice.

They dropped the ball on this. After all if just about every combiner EVER and the Legends prove it can be done, why can't the center stage figure

Also, since the figure was anounced, it was always heralded as 2ft tall with a 4ft arm spread. They said it at Botcon, BBTS has it listed as a 2ft combiner. Maybe if the figure could fully stand, it would come close, but since it can't, that only furthers the notion it's crap.

I am watching ROTF on my laptop right now and in the scene where the Constructicons merge, Devastators face forms from the front end of Mixmaster not the back end. They couldn't make the cab end of the cement truck transform into a face? WTF.

Again, Legends.

As for the argument that the individuals are to detailed. It's sad because the front end of Mixmaster is just an empty part that sits on his back!?!

As for the argument that the individuals are to detailed. It's sad because the front end of Mixmaster is just an empty part that sits on his back!?!

That was my point. They couldn't have come up with a face using the front end? I guess they couldn't figure a way to work the gimmick in but still. Oh well, not buying any ROTF figures anyways. Its just amazing that modern toy engineering couldn't figure this out.

Also, since the figure was anounced, it was always heralded as 2ft tall with a 4ft arm spread. They said it at Botcon, BBTS has it listed as a 2ft combiner.

1. BBTS never had Devastator on preorder until very recently and they always used the following copy (I preordered it like 5 minutes after it went live):

The ultimate DECEPTICON® weapon has arrived on Earth, and nothing will ever be the same. CONSTRUCTICON DEVASTATOR is the biggest robot ever—towering above AUTOBOTS® and DECEPTICONS alike. As his Vortex Grinder snaps open and glows with power, all before him quake in fear, knowing their destruction is inevitable!

Combine all six detailed vehicles – including MIXMASTER vehicle with motion-activated vehicle and conversion sounds! – to create the mighty CONSTRUCTICON DEVASTATOR figure! Lights and destruction sounds show his enemies he means business and when this CONSTRUCTICON DEVASTATOR figure speaks, they’re sure to run in fear! Recreate exciting movie scenes right in your living room with this super-cool figure.

Includes LONGHAUL, MIXMASTER, SCAVENGER, RAMPAGE, SCRAPPER, and HIGHTOWER vehicles.

Product Number: HAS17360

Shipping Weight: 8.68 pounds

2. Such a thing was never said at Botcon, the toy was on display, everyone could see it was not 2' tall.

Like I said, an urban legend turned into a false truth and you and tons of other unsuspecting fans believed it.

It's a respected seller who deals dirrect with product and not fanwank so, yes.

And they did say it at Botcon, and Toyfair.

1. Wrong. See the description from the website.

2. Wrong. A fan made that claim after attending Toyfair, that's it. Know your stuff man.

A few things. So mainly as transformers are toys and kids are usually the ones that have toys.... what parent is going to buy their kid a £100 toy? not many I bet.

And most likly even fans will shun this (lets face it, the toy is bleh). So.... why did hasbro make something they will loose loads of money on?

A quick question (with a lead in) in the movie, the cons that made up devastator are not named. They are not high tower mix master etc. These parts just had the same alt modes. So my question is his: is it hasbro that is calling those parts by the indervidual names?

A bit silly really to name the parts at all as non of them are indervidual entities.

Archived