ROTF Constructicons

BADxGUY

I hope this is no true, but here was my take (I am an editor at a TV station, so I know of what I speak.)

I think that the battle was originally supposed to be against the single robots, then when it started to go badly for the 'cons, they THEN were supposed to combine into the big guy.

I thought it was really weird when Devastator appeared right at the beginning of the battle. He is the ultimate weapon, and for dramatic purposes, he should have come later.

I think somebody saw all the complaints about the non-transforming constructicons, and the movie got re-edited to make the robots separate from the final Devastator. Then they made small changes to the CGI here and there to make the whole thing fit.

My Two Cents.

--The Stryker

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that the battle was originally supposed to be against the single robots, then when it started to go badly for the 'cons, they THEN were supposed to combine into the big guy.

I thought it was really weird when Devastator appeared right at the beginning of the battle. He is the ultimate weapon, and for dramatic purposes, he should have come later.

His job wasn't to fight, it was to uncover the pyramid.

Both good points...and I see it both ways. I believe what we got was primarily the purpose of the latter (to uncover the pyramid). But setting up that situation created a somewhat anticlimactic event. I think it would have been cool, if Dev was used as 'the big gun' in an attempt to turn the tide for the Cons, as he proceeds to the pyramid to uncover the harvester. That's climactic!

Also...just thought about this...the shear number of Constructicons didn't bother me at all. The more the merrier! However, I think the weakest use of duplicate cgi that was most notible was during the final battle. One Mixmaster & Long Haul were a part of Dev, while duplicate Mixmaster & Long Haul were fighting with the troops...this kinda degraded the uniqueness of the design to me. :shrug

...and why were the Constructicons made out of tinker toys? Whether it was Demolisher going down so easily, bursting through Dev's head, or Long Haul getting hit & wheels/parts flying off...couldn't they have been just a little tougher? The Autobots were... :schin

yeah, it's not so much their multiple uses and appearences. It's that it wasn't explained at all. And they looked identical which didn't help with the confusion.

actually I just thought of something, the ones that went into the sea were the same ones that showed up in the final fight. so maybe they headed to land and hit europe or asia and waited there. But then there is that completly other set that forms Devestator... my head hurts.

The multiple constructicon thing was F'd. Those guys are huge, no way cloning is gonna account for that. If that was the case, might as well have a clone army of Devastators forming and wrecking shop.

That was just cheap. idk. they already had generic decepticons fighting in the end scene kind of a let down. but, those autobot twins were hella funny, ravage was cool, wheelie was funny, and im buying me a Jetfire to decorate my Prime!

oh yeah, did you guys notice the Bonecrusher vehicle in the final fight scene? I thought Prime shanked his ass in the first one. Whatever.

bottom line - "MORE" is not always better

Quality and substance over Quantity is almost always better

Bay has clearly not learned this and he put it on full display in ROTF.

In all honesty, and to be fair to Bay, I do wonder how much of this was influenced by Hasbro as well tho.

bottom line - "MORE" is not always better

Quality and substance over Quantity is almost always better

Bay has clearly not learned this and he put it on full display in ROTF.

In all honesty, and to be fair to Bay, I do wonder how much of this was influenced by Hasbro as well tho.

If we're still talking about duplication, I think that was probably between Bay & ILM, more than Hasbro's influence. Regardless though, when "a Michael Bay film" is plastered on every piece of promotional material, he's likely to take the hit for it. :shrug

I'd like to say more about the Constructicons, but...I'm about to pass out... :bored

The multiple constructicon thing was F'd. Those guys are huge, no way cloning is gonna account for that. If that was the case, might as well have a clone army of Devastators forming and wrecking shop.

In my opinion, there's two ways to solve this dilemma, but both require retconing of some kind.

One way, Devastator is one robot on his own, and doesn't separate or combine at all. But upon coming to earth, he (or some other 'Con) realized that there was no "common" earth ground vehicle that could be a good alt mode for him, so he (somehow) separated into several components as to be able to take on smaller, more "in disguise" alt-modes.

The second explanation, to be more Geewunny, is that Devastator is made from [insert number here] constructicons, but there are only that number of them, either making the scenes in the desert with Long Haul, Mixmaster, and (I don't know how) Rampage happen before Devi is formed, or just be different robots entirely.

Take your pick.

Archived