Had Works

Hadlen Weltall

A small thread in the garage by me. If I have something to report I'll update, but until then first post celebrates the first RoTF bot in my collection

Optimus Prime.

No picture of the Before, because the "Before" was clear.. as in transparent. The ever so annoying Quality Assurance team missed a spot on this one, make that two. The door panels for his truck cab were not painted on mine, so I took the time and mixed a batch of paint to correct this mistake.

I did a base coat with a blue gundammarker to help the paint bond better, but the real mix of the paint was Testors Model Master Acryl: Druid Blue and Ford/GM Blue. The Druid Blue is a thick bodied paint that adheres well to smooth surfaces, while the GM blue is a more metalic top coat. I blended the two with a touch of thinning solution, and the overall mix turned out well: the full body paint value of the Druid with the metallic flake of the GM. It takes a short while to dry, and a following coat of clear coat to help protect it is next on the agenda after a few touch ups.

The next thing I fixed were Primes eyes, the arches around his eyes were blank but there were hints of silver that didn't get filled in completely. This turned to the simplest solution of silver enamel (testors) and a micro-tipped brush and toothpick pair up to fix.

post-5567-1243952404_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A simple update, with the enamel having a few days to set properly I've doen some touch ups on the area and started filling in on some of the outer edges some more. The next thing I plan to fix are the silver trim that goes up the fins on the sides of his head.

post-5567-1244827852_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bumblebee version 2.5

Let me be honest I did not like the weapon-handed nature of the new Bumblebee for RoTF but I did like the updated Car. After the first film's upteen editions of Bumblebee, I decided it was time to play surgeon and make my own modifications, or at least I just swapped parts.

the Work load included three Bee's:

Scene Battles

Premium

RoTF

The plan was simple, replace the weapon arm with one from the earlier films with the gray injection, the snafu was that the Premium edition: the one with the closest color pallet has its yellow parts powder coated, and without a clear access to remove the hood piece, I opted out for the second closest color match in the Screen Battles version. While the gray plastic is a bit brighter, its yellow hood parts were spot on with RoTF. The only other problem now was the rear window pieces in those hood-panels. Easily fixed by unscrewing them, and swapping them back with the other. The second part was a bit of an On-the-spot fix, in replacing his waist. For two reasons; the RoTF Bee's waist is extremely loose so I swapped it back with the Scene Battles edition for a tighter fit. The second reason was also in the Screen Battle's added color of the yellow detailing along the ribs and the added color touches to his liscence plate.

With the work of replacing the arms out of the way, I looked back at the now Surgically modified Screen Battles Bee and thought to make one more change and using the Premium. Personally I like the added color touches of the Premium Bee's car mode, but the one I have has a sloppy paint job in its head. With a quick twist of the neck, I replaced the heads, making my Premium Bumblebee the better of the original three, with an updated version for my RoTF collection.

Updated: Pics added.

From left to right, Premium B1, RoTF B2.5, Scene Battles EX

post-5567-1246021989_thumb.jpg

i want to see how your bee turned out.

i did a similar job last year, but with the battle damaged, first encounter, and premium.

sweet.

i just bought my wife a new cam last night for her bday, today, so i can finally start taking pics of stuff again. i'll show you what i did.

Archived