BLOG: BotCon 2009 - A Retrospective

Blitz-Wing

09botcon.jpg
Whew! It's been a very grueling 4 days in Pasadena while other staffers and I covered Botcon. Now that I'm back home and had some much needed rest, I wanted to share with the fandom my personal experience as well as some thoughts, both from a fan's point of view and a business point of view, on how I felt BotCon went. If you want to delve into my mind and and get an opinionated view of the show, feel free to click here.

09botcon.jpg
Whew! It's been a very grueling 4 days in Pasadena while other staffers and I covered Botcon. Now that I'm back home and had some much needed rest, I wanted to share with the fandom my personal experience as well as some thoughts, both from a fan's point of view and a business point of view, on how I felt BotCon went. If you want to delve into my mind and and get an opinionated view of the show, feel free to click here.

I went to Botcon 5 years ago when it was last held in Pasadena. It's amazing to see how big and popular it got since then. That sucks you were not able to take pictures with Weird Al because I was able to do so when I got my autograph. We were just limited to 30 seconds of personal time. When it opened to the general public that's when it turned into chaos!

This was my first BotCon ever, so I can't really compare this year's convention to others. That said, I had a blast. Both my dad and I were overwhelmed by all the people and things to do. For us, there wasn't enough time to do everything. We had to pick and choose. On Saturday we spent 3 and a half hours waiting in line to get Peter Cullen's autograph. While that may sound crazy, it was totally worth it.

I was surprised that the IDW tables weren't very busy. Most of the artwork they had to offer was fabulous. My dad and I purchased several prints. As for the other toy dealers, I thought the selection was good. Whether this was a down year for dealers or not, I think the toy variety was there.

As for the exclusives and souvenirs, I can understand your disappointment Blitz-Wing. They were a far cry from the 2007 exclusives. Of course I bought this year's toys in spite of the shortcomings. Poor choices or not, I am happy to own a few BotCon toys.

One thing I noticed missing from your report on the panels: the horrible acoustics. Unless you were sitting in the front few rows, it was very difficult to hear. They needed either more speakers or a few sound shells to enhance the volume. I was straining just to hear most of the talk.

Overall, I enjoyed BotCon 2009. For my first BotCon I was not disappointed. You can say the fans got fleeced, but I tend to disagree. It was a wonderful experience. I hope to experience another BotCon in the future.

09botcon.jpg

I went to Botcon 5 years ago when it was last held in Pasadena.

Hey, me too! *high-five* The convention center got a facelift since then, though (renovation)...

Yeah, it seemed like the Hasbro Panel & Display were a bit of a let down...display was mostly stuff we've seen, and while the panel did announce some new toys, still left a lot of unanswered questions...

Blitz-Wing left out the best part of the show... :tfsad

Beers with fellow transfans, which included Hobbes, Hunter, Dragon, BaCon, Ender/PC, and Blitzwing. And I'm sure many others, but that's the one I was at. Even though we don't always agree on the forums, the ability to meet people face to face IRL and hang out with no baggage, was a real treat!

09botcon.jpg

I went to Botcon 5 years ago when it was last held in Pasadena.

Hey, me too! *high-five* The convention center got a facelift since then, though (renovation)...

Yeah, it seemed like the Hasbro Panel & Display were a bit of a let down...display was mostly stuff we've seen, and while the panel did announce some new toys, still left a lot of unanswered questions...

*high-five*

I heard they tend to leave a lot of questions unanswered unfortunately... :(

Blitz-Wing left out the best part of the show... :tfsad

Beers with fellow transfans, which included Hobbes, Hunter, Dragon, BaCon, Ender/PC, and Blitzwing. And I'm sure many others, but that's the one I was at. Even though we don't always agree on the forums, the ability to meet people face to face IRL and hang out with no baggage, was a real treat!

D'oh! I got so wrapped up thinking about the show itself that I didn't mention the other plus of a show: Meeting other fellow fans. One of only a few places that can bring people together. Because it is nice to have a name with a face sometimes. Thanks for reminding me Hunter... and for the meet-up!

Archived