Conservation of mass

Blackscale

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frink: Yes, over here, n'hey, n'hey.  In episode BF12, you were battling barbarians while riding a winged Appaloosa, yet in the very next scene, my dear, you're clearly atop a winged Arabian.  Please do explain it.

Lawless: Ah, yeah, well, whenever you notice something like that, a wizard did it.

Frink: I see, all right, yes, but in episode AG4 --

Lawless: Wizard.

Frink: Aw, for glaven out loud.

;)

haha damn sneaky wizards!

They are not real?

Let's clarify my question a bit:

I do not ask for an answer which is physically sound by today's knowledge, because there is none. However, my 'willing suspension of disbelief' would greatly be helped if some explanation was given which would work in the story.

sorry if it seemed like i was being an @$$, but i was only trying to ask if it realy matters how they do it, or is it ok too just love the line.

and i did mention subspace as a possible explanation

Guest Primal-Convoy

Im not a big fan of the DW explanation, as it covers size but not mass adequately. This is what I wrote in my Tf Glossary:

"TRANSFORMATION PROCESS"

Transformers are beings of pure energy, living inside a form of matter (These energy forms are known as "Sparks"). Thus, because of this, a Transformer has a natural affinity with 'matter-to-energy' and 'energy-to-matter' processes.

This is shown most recognizably by a Transformer's transformation process. A Transformer first converts matter (the various parts of its robotic body) to energy and then converts the energy back into matter. This process not only aids the more basic kinetic transformations involved (i.e.: the traditional use of hinges, socket joints, etc), but also helps Transformers with transformations that require one form to be of a different dimension (or size) to another. Examples of Transformers that have forms like this are Soundwave (Robot to cassette recorder) and Ravage (Robotic Panther to Cassette). However, the greater the differences in the end form to the previous, the more energy is needed for that process.

Another notable example of energy transformation is in the Oracle's reconfiguration of Optimus Primal and his fellow Maximals on Cybertron. They must release their energy to enable themselves to transform. In fact, it was the Oracle itself that told Primal that they were beings of energy before they became beings of matter.

Another, perhaps rarer, method employs the use of "black-hole" technology.

A Transformer can, if properly equiped, portion off an area of sub-space via the use of a small black-hole creator. This then stores the Transformer's spare parts in sub-space until needed. One Transformer that had this device incorporated into his weaponry was the Decepticon Leader Megatron. He was able to siphon off small amounts to fuel his fusion cannon, to great effect (and risk to himself).

Any use of the matter to energy/energy to matter (or black-hole) process in the aid of transformation will in itself require a large alternate source of energy. Transformers use "Energon" for this purpose.

THis theory also encapsulates the ideas behind "stasis pod" technology and the siz/mass debate of Cybertron. for example:

CYBER-FORMING

The Process of Cyber-forming involved the gradual layering of metal construction material around Cybertron's original bedrock-core. After each layer of metal was added, Layers or deposits of energon were inserted. Thus, Cybertron's geology comprises of many layers of metal, plastic and other inorganic substances (mainly metal) sandwiched between energon or empty space. This means that as energy as no mass, Cybertron was able to have an immensely large surface area, and not a great deal of mass.

Any help to you?

From Transformers: More than meets the eye #8 (just got it)

Size/Mass Change:

During conversion, many Cybertronians[see Cybertron: Inhabitants] are capable of shifting their size, growing larger or smaller to suit the needs of their mode. The two primary methods by which this takes place: parts compression and mass coversion

Parts Compression:

Parts compression is a standard technique for Cybertronians who grow larger or smaller in their transformations. Its operation is relatively simple: in the smaller of the mechanoid modes, the parts are designed to slide together in a tightly compressed fashion, filling in whatever space is available. This allows the Cybertronian to have extra material physicaly stored within for use when converting to larger mode. In larger mode, the parts are shifted out, expanding their size considerably. This method does have its drawbacks, including the fact that the mechanoid in question often has weaker armor in expanded mode. Also, this method is highly ineffcient for extreme size changes.

Mass Conversion:

Mass conversion is the more complex of the two methods, and it represents a significant genetic difference in those who possess it. In their standard size(for example, robot mode), the basic atomic components of Cybertronians who utilize mass conversion are a rest. However, when called upon to convert into a larger or smaller mode, the very subatomic particles that compose them restructure themselves even as the being's body changes its physical configuration. Much like a Cybertronian's physical form can change its shape and properties, so can the atomic building blocks of those who possess mass conversion abilities. These particles are hardwired to reconfigure themselves according to a predetermind schematic, splitting up or combining to alter their own mass and density to match the needs of the mode in question.

Hope this helps.

:clap yes, finally! Someone who actually reads MTMTE. I was getting tired of telling you people to go read it. Seriously, just about every technical question that's been on your mind is answered in these books. If you didn't get em, don't worry. The trades on the way :thumb BTW, stasis pods are covered as well. Don't you guys see what you're missing?

you guys are trying way to hard. Trust me, read MTMTE, you'll learn a lot

Guest Primal-Convoy
you guys are trying way to hard. Trust me, read MTMTE, you'll learn a lot

I cant. I live in japan. Besides, I happen to like my explanation better than the MTMTE version. That said, I suppose I could incorporate it. Just as different engines all work differently, Im sure different types of TFs "transform" differently.

Archived