Conservation of mass

Blackscale

Is there an official explanation for the constant violation of the conservation of mass principle in the TF universe?

Where does Prime's trailer go? How can Megatron shrink?

Also, I have the impression that in the gestalts in the Dreamwave comics are bigger than the sum of the individual TF's.

Perhaps this is explained in the More than meets the eye books, but I have not been able to find those in the Netherlands yet.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes there is an answer... are you ready... here it comes

the answer is, they're not real.

sure i can quote some scientific mumbojumbo berylium bologna, like slipstream quantum wormhole sub-space energy-to-matter reconfiguration, but come on do we really need to know how megs can be a handgun, that a human can use one minute, one that screamer can use the next, and then a ginormous walking talking sentient piece atonomic perfection (his words not mine) and then back again? i say no, it does not have to make sense. it just is. it came from someones imagination, it lives in all of ours and we love it. thats all i need to know.

but it could be lipstream quantum wormhole sub-space energy-to-matter reconfiguration.

They are not real?

Let's clarify my question a bit:

I do not ask for an answer which is physically sound by today's knowledge, because there is none. However, my 'willing suspension of disbelief' would greatly be helped if some explanation was given which would work in the story.

From Transformers: More than meets the eye #8 (just got it)

Size/Mass Change:

During conversion, many Cybertronians[see Cybertron: Inhabitants] are capable of shifting their size, growing larger or smaller to suit the needs of their mode. The two primary methods by which this takes place: parts compression and mass coversion

Parts Compression:

Parts compression is a standard technique for Cybertronians who grow larger or smaller in their transformations. Its operation is relatively simple: in the smaller of the mechanoid modes, the parts are designed to slide together in a tightly compressed fashion, filling in whatever space is available. This allows the Cybertronian to have extra material physicaly stored within for use when converting to larger mode. In larger mode, the parts are shifted out, expanding their size considerably. This method does have its drawbacks, including the fact that the mechanoid in question often has weaker armor in expanded mode. Also, this method is highly ineffcient for extreme size changes.

Mass Conversion:

Mass conversion is the more complex of the two methods, and it represents a significant genetic difference in those who possess it. In their standard size(for example, robot mode), the basic atomic components of Cybertronians who utilize mass conversion are a rest. However, when called upon to convert into a larger or smaller mode, the very subatomic particles that compose them restructure themselves even as the being's body changes its physical configuration. Much like a Cybertronian's physical form can change its shape and properties, so can the atomic building blocks of those who possess mass conversion abilities. These particles are hardwired to reconfigure themselves according to a predetermind schematic, splitting up or combining to alter their own mass and density to match the needs of the mode in question.

Hope this helps.

From Transformers: More than meets the eye #8 (just got it)

Size/Mass Change:

During conversion, many Cybertronians[see Cybertron: Inhabitants] are capable of shifting their size, growing larger or smaller to suit the needs of their mode. The two primary methods by which this takes place: parts compression and mass coversion

Parts Compression:

Parts compression is a standard technique for Cybertronians who grow larger or smaller in their transformations. Its operation is relatively simple: in the smaller of the mechanoid modes, the parts are designed to slide together in a tightly compressed fashion, filling in whatever space is available. This allows the Cybertronian to have extra material physicaly stored within for use when converting to larger mode. In larger mode, the parts are shifted out, expanding their size considerably. This method does have its drawbacks, including the fact that the mechanoid in question often has weaker armor in expanded mode. Also, this method is highly ineffcient for extreme size changes.

Mass Conversion:

Mass conversion is the more complex of the two methods, and it represents a significant genetic difference in those who possess it. In their standard size(for example, robot mode), the basic atomic components of Cybertronians who utilize mass conversion are a rest. However, when called upon to convert into a larger or smaller mode, the very subatomic particles that compose them restructure themselves even as the being's body changes its physical configuration. Much like a Cybertronian's physical form can change its shape and properties, so can the atomic building blocks of those who possess mass conversion abilities. These particles are hardwired to reconfigure themselves according to a predetermind schematic, splitting up or combining to alter their own mass and density to match the needs of the mode in question.

Hope this helps.

Wow, that actually makes sense.

Except ....

What about the tapes that "live" inside Soundwave and Blaster? Do they go through that whenever Soundwave or Blaster decide to transform?

Thanks, Smokes! :clap

It still does not explain Prime's trailer, but that thing probably gets parked somewhere... or it is really made of cardboard.

I was going to just explain Prime's trailer, but this probably applies to the Blaster/Soundwave cassette question, too.

Prime has a personal tesseract (pocket of inifinite space) in that "backpack" construct. The trailer is stored there when not needed.

Conversely, both Soundwave's and Blaster's "cassette bay" are also personal tesseracts, hence, all the cassettes fit in (apparently) the same space at the same time, and the primary bot's size changes are not an issue.

(from Merriam-Webster.com:

Main Entry: tes·ser·act

Pronunciation: 'te-s&-"rakt

Function: noun

Etymology: Greek tessares four + aktis ray -- more at ACTIN-

: the four-dimensional analogue of a cube)

(can I BS my way through, or what? :))

I always thought the fan explanation for all that was 'Sub-Space'....a layer of space beneath our own in which the Transformers could tap into when needed to store things like Trailers.

I always thought the fan explanation for all that was 'Sub-Space'....a layer of space beneath our own in which the Transformers could tap into when needed to store things like Trailers.

Well, that would technically fall under "tesseract". :)

But I think the "sub-space" thing was thought up because there wasn't any "official" explanation for it.

Frink: Yes, over here, n'hey, n'hey.  In episode BF12, you were battling barbarians while riding a winged Appaloosa, yet in the very next scene, my dear, you're clearly atop a winged Arabian.  Please do explain it.

Lawless: Ah, yeah, well, whenever you notice something like that, a wizard did it.

Frink: I see, all right, yes, but in episode AG4 --

Lawless: Wizard.

Frink: Aw, for glaven out loud.

;)

Archived