DVD Question

drkknight001

Okay, so it's actually only been this last week that I decided to pick up TF:TM on DVD. All I could find was the Kid Rhino version, but I was a little suprised to see that it was pan 'n' scan. When it was released in theaters was it standard ratio or was it "windescreen?" If it was, is there a better DVD that I can order or find somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When it was released in theaters was it standard ratio or was it "windescreen?"

Any movie that is shown in theaters is "widescreen" and contrary to popular belief, you actually see more of the movie in widescreen format. they dont chop off the top and bottom in widescreen, they chop off the sides in "standard" format. this is due to the ratio between the length sides and the width of the top and bottom of the screen. however if you do not like th widescreen version, there should be a standaerd format on the dvd. usually on the other side of the dvd, or in the special features, enjoy

Not all movies were originally widescreen. The back to the future trilogy was not widescreen. When they made the DVDs, they cropped off the top and bottom to make it wide screen.

Anyway, I havn't seen any widescreen format TF:TM... mines standard too... would be nice to have widescreen.

There is going to be a rerelease of the movie sometime later this year or the first of next year that includes new never before seen material (I think its scramble city). It will also be in the same collectors box sets that the previous seasons have been distributed in.

But my version is fullscreen as well.

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't get left out in the cold here.

As far as all movies being widescreen, I knew that wasn't the case. Hollywood didn't start using a 1.85:1 ratio until TV became common place in US homes (most early progamming was made up of films that were no longer shown in theaters) so they changed aspect ratios to better draw an audiance. Later still they went to a "scope" format that is 2.40:1 (sometimes called anamorphic because of the lens that's used or 70mm because of the film) and has been put to use in those movies with agreaters scale to them like "Braveheart." More recently (as SureShot noted) film makers have sometimes gone to Super 35 film, like James Cameron, which films in the standard 1.33:1 scale. In the case of T2 they actually did cut off the top and bottom of the picture to get it into 2.40:1, not cutting off the sides to make it fit on the TV.

So, with all that being said...

My questions basic broke down to this: When TF:TM was first released was it in standard format? Because I never saw it in theaters, I don't know.

If it wasn't, and was released in a 1.85:1 theatrical aspect, is there a DVD that has the original ratio?

If there is a version of this DVD where would I possibly find it?

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one to have the standard version guys. Seriously, I wanted to know that i just didn't grab the dummy copy or something. Also, thanks for the heads up on the rerelease (if I would have known about that I would have saved my money and just waited).

Hopefully now that I've tried to explain exactly what I mean, in technical terms no less, we will all get more answers. Because I know we aren't the only ones that want a possible widescreen version.

There is going to be a rerelease of the movie sometime later this year or the first of next year that includes new never before seen material (I think its scramble city). It will also be in the same collectors box sets that the previous seasons have been distributed in.

yeah, I think it's supposed to be a 2-disc set. Scramble City would be sweet, I hope they do it!

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't get left out in the cold here.

As far as all movies being widescreen, I knew that wasn't the case. Hollywood didn't start using a 1.85:1 ratio until TV became common place in US homes (most early progamming was made up of films that were no longer shown in theaters) so they changed aspect ratios to better draw an audiance. Later still they went to a "scope" format that is 2.40:1 (sometimes called anamorphic because of the lens that's used or 70mm because of the film) and has been put to use in those movies with agreaters scale to them like "Braveheart." More recently (as SureShot noted) film makers have sometimes gone to Super 35 film, like James Cameron, which films in the standard 1.33:1 scale. In the case of T2 they actually did cut off the top and bottom of the picture to get it into 2.40:1, not cutting off the sides to make it fit on the TV.

So, with all that being said...

My questions basic broke down to this: When TF:TM was first released was it in standard format? Because I never saw it in theaters, I don't know.

If it wasn't, and was released in a 1.85:1 theatrical aspect, is there a DVD that has the original ratio?

If there is a version of this DVD where would I possibly find it?

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one to have the standard version guys. Seriously, I wanted to know that i just didn't grab the dummy copy or something. Also, thanks for the heads up on the rerelease (if I would have known about that I would have saved my money and just waited).

Hopefully now that I've tried to explain exactly what I mean, in technical terms no less, we will all get more answers. Because I know we aren't the only ones that want a possible widescreen version.

i stand corrected

Yeah, I get bugged by the fact that the only way we can seem to get TF: TM is in standard form. I hate it, Widescreen's the only way its worth while to watch, I say. The whole idea of widescreen being good is finally coming into the public idea.

no, when and where did you get this?

Archived