MP Grimlock fan thread

masterminicon

Got mine on Thursday.

Quick thoughts:

Sculpting/Detailing: This is where this figure shines. There are plenty of bolts, rivets, vents, and little details that make it seem like a worthy addition to the MP line. He even has boosters/jets molded into the panels on the back of his fists in Dino mode and two jet engines on his dino mode back that serve as jets in both modes where the 'wing' hinges are and jets molded into the bottom of his bot feet. He's nice and shiny and the use of chrome is appropriate, as opposed to most Henkei! figs where it just seems there as an afterthought. Love the chrome teeth and use of chrome on his sword. EDIT: I completely forgot about the nozzle in his mouth for the fire breath!

Articulation: He's big and bulky and can hold a variety of poses well, due to the bulk of his robot feet. In Dino mode, not so much, but the dino arms are ball-jointed at the shoulders and hinged at the elbows. It's also nice that each claw is articulated.

Transformation: Relatively simple. In fact, I'd say he has the simplest TF of any MP to date. Not bad, as everything either folds up or out of the way, and the only real kibble are the wings and dino head, which is iconic and welcomed anyway.

Action features: The light-up gimmick for the sword is nice. For the gun, not so much. The 'Shaking one's head' could have been dropped for more legitimate head and tail articulation, but it's ok. I'm not sure why they have the spring on his Dino hips to make him look up, as it's porrly executed and doesn't work that great. The eye flip for both modes is fun and a nice option for display, since it gives you personal preference. I like the blue Dino eyes (as that's how I have him on my tattoo) but, the red for bot mode is my preference.

Accesories: Save for the sword and gun, I can do without everything else. I wanted the comics crown, as I thought it was cool and a perfect accesory for Grimmy's ego.

Overall: Again, a worthy addition to the MP line. I'm happy with the size, even though it's not to scale (IMHO, if you collect TFs for scale then you wouldn't have a very extensive collection anyway), It's a great display piece, and although the price tag is a bit high, I can't recommend him enough. If you can find him cheaper or wait for a markdown, get him. EDIT: What really brings the grade down for me is the price and the lack of (to me at least) relevant accessories.

Grade: B+ If you can get him cheaper than $140, I'd definitely give him an A.

Swift

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got Mine Thursday, and I have to say, He is a close second to MP Prime. MP Prime, hands down, is the Best. But Grimlock Blows Megatron out of the water. My wife even commented - "Wow, now that is a cool Transformer!"

Lets see Soundwave with 3 or 4 Tapes for the next one!

To those griping about no crown from the comics:

Did they even have those comics in Japan? I can see them using gimmicks from the cartoons they made, but I'm not so sure about comics they may have never translated.

I think the only way I'll ever be able to get this one is if smeone trades for some of my tuff for one, or they make a US version which would be slightly cheaper to buy

Twisted logic, but does anyone get the feeling that Classix Cyclonus is a prelude to MP Swoop?

Please do explain your idea good sir

Got Mine Thursday, and I have to say, He is a close second to MP Prime. MP Prime, hands down, is the Best. But Grimlock Blows Megatron out of the water. My wife even commented - "Wow, now that is a cool Transformer!"

Lets see Soundwave with 3 or 4 Tapes for the next one!

Soundwave with 3 tapes -- Rumble; lazerbeak and ravage would be an absolute HIT and another $150-$175 piece. I'd have it on preorder immediately.

has anyone gotten their MP Grimlock from TFSource yet???

Twisted logic, but does anyone get the feeling that Classix Cyclonus is a prelude to MP Swoop?

Top of the legs in vehicle mode, Swoops boosters, the bottoms being the 'Dactyl legs, the wings folding up, cockpit beak...

Top of the legs in vehicle mode, Swoops boosters, the bottoms being the 'Dactyl legs, the wings folding up, cockpit beak...

Sexy idea. Now go kitbash a Cyclonus into a Swoop.

Archived