Animated Jetstorm/Jetfire

Hunter Rose

So I finally broke down and picked up the :animated Jetfire/Jetstorm set.

They aren't great, as many have mentioned but it seems like they could be, well maybe not great but better.

I am actually surprised that I haven't seen any mods to these guys anywhere, maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots?

I have 3 thoughts on how to make this set a little more satisfying.

1) The first thing that comes to mind is that JF should be Red instead of Orange. Simple enough to paint I think. I know, I'm being a G1-gheybo but I think its a strong choice.

2) The next thought is that they need some sort of tail section. The biggest complaint about the figures has been their legs just dangling off the backend. So what can be done to mod this?

I am open to anything from a simple panel that can sit back there, to a whole back end and wing section (they do kinda need wings it seems) or even a mod to the legs themselves.

I also think that if it's possible to make them look more like BSG Vipers that would be cool.

Any thoughts?

3) Third, this is just a personal preference, but it would be nice if one of them could be rounded off a bit so that they contrast with each other a little bit more. Like one can be pointy and one can be sleek. Unfortunately the one that I'm already going to be futzing with is JetFire but the one I think should be sleeken'D is JetStorm. So no consolidation of ideas there.

One of the concerns of course is keeping the :animated aesthetic.

But it also seems like there are a lot of lines on the shelves right now that do have this same fun, cartoony style.

So does anyone have any suggestions? Any bashes planned? Completed?

I'll keep y'all posted as I figure out what I'm going to do with mine.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) I think the red idea is great.

2) Maybe you could rig one of those Star Wars Starfighter Booster rocket wings to connect and give them some more flight mode fun. Is there a Clone Wars version of that that matches the Animated aesthetic?

I'll leave mine as they are, but here're my 5 cents on your ideas:

BSG Viper:

- the cockpit must be moved further to the back

- a third "engine" needs to be added (would close the leg-gap too)

- WINGS

Battlestar_Galactica_viper_2003.jpg

other mods:

1. Yes, make his orange parts red :thumb
  2. either one panel on each leg, together closing the gap
    or a third engine similar to the Viper, maybe turning into a weapon
  3. the only way to round off the front would be through adding some putty, because the arms are allready way too thin ... sounds like lots of work, but probably worth it.

Keep us updated, sounds like a cool project :)

A bit of warning before you start this: His screws are incredibly soft and easy to strip. I can't even get the one oh his thigh to budge.

So the combined mode is also better, you should paint the translucent parts of their bodies black.

I'll leave mine as they are, but here're my 5 cents on your ideas:

BSG Viper:

- the cockpit must be moved further to the back

- a third "engine" needs to be added (would close the leg-gap too)

- WINGS

Battlestar_Galactica_viper_2003.jpg

other mods:

1. Yes, make his orange parts red :thumb
  2. either one panel on each leg, together closing the gap
    or a third engine similar to the Viper, maybe turning into a weapon
  3. the only way to round off the front would be through adding some putty, because the arms are allready way too thin ... sounds like lots of work, but probably worth it.

Keep us updated, sounds like a cool project :)

I don't need it to look exactly like the Viper, but yeah a set of engines/wings on the back would rock!

I also like that SW:TF idea - though I'm not as fond on the RINGU OF SPEED idea... but something along those lines...

Also I don't know if I'd have to attach the panels to the legs - Attaching to the backpack flap might also be an option (or completely removable).

Are there any BSG models that are relatively this size?

A bit of warning before you start this: His screws are incredibly soft and easy to strip. I can't even get the one oh his thigh to budge.

So the combined mode is also better, you should paint the translucent parts of their bodies black.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be careful.

I dunno about a BSG model kit that would fit that size. I know of one, but it's 11 inches long so that's probably too big.

As far as making them into vipers you might want look into gundam kits. Gundam 00 has one mobile suit that might be good for making engine pieces out of Gundam Virtue. I don't have these guys so can't say where it would be best attached, but making the third engine into some sort of cannon type weapon or maybe even a jetpack that's detachable sounds pretty cool.

Archived