Review of RotF: Defiance #3

Ender

The Defiance series chronicles the beginning of the Cybertronian civil war, movie style. This started out as fairly classic G1ish fare, but diverges from the classic origin in several important ways. The most important way the origin of the TF conflict varies in this movie iteration is in Megatron's motivations.

Read the full Review here.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, I"m really enjoying this story. It shows that Megatron was once a stern but protective leader of Cybertron. It was the Fallen who corrupted him with dreams of conquest and control over the universe. Optimus was once a humble scientist, and had to rise to the occasion when someone he respected went off the deep end. Plus we have tons of cameos of the guys who IDW killed off in Reign of Starscream. It's good stuff.

I have to admit, my IDW catch up has not yet included Reign of Starscream, maybe that would enhance my enjoyment of this book. Primus knows nothing makes an IDW TF book better like context.

Defiance is head and shoulders above the weak showing of Alliance. I'm hoping that it'll all come together.

As for Megs being the Stern Protector, he strikes me more as the Sociopath nobody want's to say no too, and I can't imagine a weaker story for Megatron than to say he was corrupted by a second rate cleche' side character from DW comic series. It does not bode well for Revenge of the Fallen, IMO.

Obviously Megatron had some bad inclination before the Fallen corrupted him, but I see no reason to make Megatron out to be so all-together flawless, lacking all weaknesses, like some unimaginative tech spec. He's just another Cybertronian. I always hated how over time Megatron's in stories seemed to become bigger, badder etc. He went from being a single Decepticon leader, to the creator of the Decepticons over the retelling of the tales. I always just thought of him as the highest ranking Decepticon on Earth, but figured he had superiors back on Cybertron, back when I was a kid. Same with Prime.

Reign of Starscream and Alliance were good to start, but both ended with similar flaws. They had to reset the plot at the end, as not to mess with the movie continuity, and to make them both seem "edgy" they killed off many non-movie characters, sometimes needlessly and quick. It's like "hey, look, we had a minor toy-only character make a cameo! WHOOPS! He's dead! Darn they die quickly."

Funny, I"m really enjoying this story. It shows that Megatron was once a stern but protective leader of Cybertron. It was the Fallen who corrupted him with dreams of conquest and control over the universe. Optimus was once a humble scientist, and had to rise to the occasion when someone he respected went off the deep end. Plus we have tons of cameos of the guys who IDW killed off in Reign of Starscream. It's good stuff.

yeah it's good stuff anyone know where to find the animated comic prequel that came with the first movie's dvd

Archived