Goktimus Prime

How should customs be counted?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Counting customs

• All customs count
    • Repaints and slight retools count but kitbashes don't
    • Only repaints/retools for repair & cosmetic improvement count
    • None of them count

Now obviously I'm not objective on this since I am a kitbasher. However I do think that all customs should count for ppl's collections. For instance my Menasor is mostly made up of official TFs aside from parts of Motormaster's trailer.

Doing my own customs I would not include them as Tfs in a collection, or at least not as separates, more like

6 animated

Prime

Megatron

Starscream X2

Lockdown

Oilslick

Jazz..

Yeah um no because the Cyb Armorhide I gave a face plate isn't Armorhide any more he's Pipe's, and the one I repainted orange is Huffer, and the black one is Motormaster's basic form. So that's 3 Armorhides but they are all different characters. Let's not even get into my 7 different Lamborgini bots from the Sideswipe/Sunstreaker mold.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now obviously I'm not objective on this since I am a kitbasher. However I do think that all customs should count for ppl's collections. For instance my Menasor is mostly made up of official TFs aside from parts of Motormaster's trailer.

I agree, they should be counted. However in some cases, they should not be counted under the claim of "largest" or "most complete" collections. Anyone could make as many customs needed to have more than the next person.

I agree, they should be counted. However in some cases, they should not be counted under the claim of "largest" or "most complete" collections. Anyone could make as many customs needed to have more than the next person.

Keep in mind though that customs are always more expensive than the official figure they modified.

Voted: no, they don't count.

For a very simple reason: they're not the figures released by Hasbro/Tomy, and you can't sell them as that anymore.

For example, take that Prime Goki did. Sure, he's supposed to have silver/chrome parts and in the G1 cartoon he had blue eyes. However, if I was looking for a G1 Prime then I wouldn't buy one that had been altered by a fan. I'd go for an unmodified G1 figure.

You simply don't see people selling for example a classics Starscream with as footnote that he's now golden yellow just like Sunstorm. They sell it as classics Sunstorm. And since classics Sunstorm wasn't released, this figure doesn't count as a Transformer.

I've done a few kitbashes/repaints myself and although I display them proudly and consider them an important part of my collection, if people ask me how many TF's I've got I leave them out.

Any change that is non-reversible diminishes the figure for the total count. If it's just tightening a joint or shaving (unintended) excess plastic, then everything is good and the figure can count: it is still in acceptable condition (C-7?). If you've painted just the eyes, well that still counts as well. But as soon as a figure is repainted, then in a way it is damaged to such an extent that it can no longer be sold as being the original figure.

Btw, I thought this was already more or less covered by previous topics like whether or not non-Hasbro/Tomy products counted and the damaged TF's.

wait....

Isn't there an article that states a toys condition must be of a certain value or it doesn't count? I think so and if that's the case, customs are already outlawed because any change from it's original status automatically degrades it regardless of purpose.

Article19 states that only toys in C6 condition or above can count, so you're right, under that ruling kitbashes shouldn't count - but arguably custom repaints and slight retools (e.g.: to repair badly engineered gimmicks) could still count as those toys have not been as extensively physically altered. If the results of this poll rule all customs counting then kitbashes will become an exemption to Article19.

I'm inclined to vote:

Anything done using an original TF product as a base counts. This means that customs started with the bodies of other toys not made under the TF license don't count. This means that scratch builds don't count and anything using those silly Marvel Tf-ing (Pre hasbro ownership things) don't count but any of the above pictured examples do count.

This voting option isn't included in the pole unless I'm being daft....

There isn't a poll option for that, but remember that Article01 already states that only Transformers manufactured under licence from Hasbro Inc. or Takara(TOMY) Co., Ltd as part of the "Transformers" franchise/brand can count - so that already disallows KOs, garage kits (e.g.: City Commander), transforming robot toys that aren't Transformers (e.g.: Roadbots, pre-TFs, Gobots etc.). I'd say that it would also disallow customs where the base toy is not Transformer (as defined by Article01).

When counting TFs, just make a separate category that says "customs" and leave it at that.

Because the UCM is about counting TFs to create a comparable collection number for the purposes of comparison. As BaCon (and others) have said, it's about whether or not customs should be "counted under the claim of "largest" or "most complete" collections".

Voted: no, they don't count.

For a very simple reason: they're not the figures released by Hasbro/Tomy, and you can't sell them as that anymore.

Well... people do sell customs. :P

Also, a lot of people do repairs and restoration work on old worn out or busted toys - think of that dude from Toy Story 2 who restored Woody with paints and a new stitching for the arm. Would you count a Transformer who was restored at a similar level?

WTF?

Who cares? I will count every Effing TF I have in my collection, repaints, remolds homemade, store bought or otherwise and if that offends you and your :wang measuring contest well then you can bug off!

Is this really important? Is this really why we collect Transformers?

In fact -I'm going to count my Invader Zim figures in my "collection" as well, what are you going to do about it?

WTF?

Who cares? I will count every Effing TF I have in my collection, repaints, remolds homemade, store bought or otherwise and if that offends you and your :wang measuring contest well then you can bug off!

In fact -I'm going to count my Invader Zim figures in my "collection" as well, what are you going to do about it?

Then you should include KO Transformers as well as long as they are the same size as the originals, as they are often different colours.

I think that if you are including Customs in a collection count they should be listed as separate entities.

So

400 Official

3 Customs

2 Kitbashes

5 Kockoffs.

WTF?

Then you should include KO Transformers as well as long as they are the same size as the originals, as they are often different colours.

I think that if you are including Customs in a collection count they should be listed as separate entities.

So

400 Official

3 Customs

2 Kitbashes

5 Kockoffs.

he doesn't give a hoot

me neither

i'm all up for helping with a new method (OCD = i liek counting stuffs) but this "article" system doesn't work at all

I agree with Hunter....this is all a bit semantic.

How is it anti jewish?

WTF?

So

400 Official

3 Customs

2 Kitbashes

5 Kockoffs.

he doesn't give a hoot

me neither

i'm all up for helping with a new method (OCD = i liek counting stuffs) but this "article" system doesn't work at all

I dont know, I am one of those who counts Minicon 3 packs as 3 separate transformers, the X with Minicon Y as two distinct items.

But it seems weird that people who dont care try to join a discussion relevant only to those who do..

Archived