How should customs be counted?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Counting customs

• All customs count
    • Repaints and slight retools count but kitbashes don't
    • Only repaints/retools for repair & cosmetic improvement count
    • None of them count

For the purposes of this poll:

+ The term "custom" refers to any Transformer toy that's been altered from it's original state.

+ The term "custom repaint" refers to a toy that has been repainted only with no other substantial physical alteration made.

e.g.: "Lexicon"

customs_glyphrobo.jpg

Lexicon was made by repainting a reissue Goldbug with the same colour scheme as Glyph (left) - Lexicon is supposed to be the Throttlebot upgrade of Glyph.

+ The term "kitbash" refers to a custom where a new toy has been created from the parts of other toys and may also include new original parts made from Sculpey etc.

e.g.: "Goktimus Primal"

goktimusprimaltoy.jpg

Goktimus Primal was created from a junker Optimus Primal body with a bootleg Dragonball GT Baby head with the entire thing repainted. A lot of the toys I see KC99 showcasing are examples of kitbashing (e.g.: Masterpiece Inferno).

+ The term "slight retool" refers to a small physical modification, such as fixing Deluxe Animated Bumblebee's stinger weapons so that they can fit in flush. Anything much more substantial than that would fall under the definition of kitbashing.

+ "Cosmetic improvement" means that the toy's overall look has been improved but it's still the same toy-character.

e.g.: "Animé Optimus Prime"

animeconvoy.jpg

I used mithral silver paint to touch up worn-chrome on an original G1 Optimus Prime toy. Orange paints added to the front bumper lights. Eyes painted blue (this was before Takara did their Goodbye Convoy reissue (New Year Special Convoy)). Autobot symbol stickers added to shoulders (originals were long gone).

-----------------------

I personally voted for the third option "Only repaints/retools for repair & cosmetic improvement count." - I don't think custom repaints or kitbashes should count but I think modifications made for repair and cosmetic improvement should.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, I would think someone would want to personally count the toys in their collection count because they own them / created them -

However, that being said if you are comparing collections as a sorta "who has the most complete checklist of figures" then I don't think customs should count as separate figures at all :shrug

Edit: Clarification to make sure I understand:

I think that a slightly modified toy can still count as part of the collection but NOT as a separate toy in addition to an original.

Meaning: Modifying Bumblebee's hands still counts as owning Animated Bumblebee

Modifying Bumblebee's hands and owning an unmodified version does not count as owning 2 separate counts. But again, that contradicts the whole doubles thing counting. Hmmm, maybe it's 2 in the morning... :lol

Repaints and slight retools count but kitbashes don't

Got my vote, but I honestly think that customs shouldn't be included in any count. Only Officials with something minor like shaving down a joint to allow poseability.

I'd count a custom for the same reason City Commander is part of the UM collection.

See, I definitely would count City Commander because it is mass produced and readily available to those who wish to own one.

And I think that overall in the Transformers community the CC is considered a legit toy and not a knock-off even though it is not Hasbro/Takara-Tomy created.

P.S. I think all my viewpoints on the collection counting thing is that there is a master checklist for each line that every fan would be able to check off and compare by lines, etc...

I'd count a custom for the same reason City Commander is part of the UM collection.

See, I definitely would count City Commander because it is mass produced and readily available to those who wish to own one.

And I think that overall in the Transformers community the CC is considered a legit toy and not a knock-off even though it is not Hasbro/Takara-Tomy created.

P.S. I think all my viewpoints on the collection counting thing is that there is a master checklist for each line that every fan would be able to check off and compare by lines, etc...

I would count that as just Classics Ultra Magnus + upgrade, I wouldn't count that as a separate entity.

Now obviously I'm not objective on this since I am a kitbasher. However I do think that all customs should count for ppl's collections. For instance my Menasor is mostly made up of official TFs aside from parts of Motormaster's trailer.

Now obviously I'm not objective on this since I am a kitbasher. However I do think that all customs should count for ppl's collections. For instance my Menasor is mostly made up of official TFs aside from parts of Motormaster's trailer.

Doing my own customs I would not include them as Tfs in a collection, or at least not as separates, more like

6 animated

Prime

Megatron

Starscream X2

Lockdown

Oilslick

Jazz..

Archived