How do you like your weapons?

Superconductor

I like a mix of launchers and 'solid' weapons, like the old G1.

As for the launchers, if the missile is clear (a la Classics Grimlock) then, in my mind, it represents an energy burst (or what have you - water for Universe Classics Inferno's launcher, for example). If the missile is opaque, then it's either actually a missile (most G1 missiles), or is simply an extension to the barrel (G1 and Classics Seekers).

However, I would LOVE to see a nice, massive "Weapons Pack"" released for the TF's, kind of like what was released in the 80''s for G.I. Joe. As it is, I've taken a lot of the guns from various knockoffs, and used the LEGO Peg trick to give them standard sized handles and painted them silver, so I have a backup arsenal for my TF's (and guns for those without, like Classics Cliffjumper).

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like spring loaded weapons, I just don't think they should all be spring loaded. It annoys me when the whole barrel of the gun is the rocket, Cybertron Hot Shot. In cases like that another gimmick should be used.

What I realy hate are the push from the back rockets.

Weapon storage is also a must! At those stage no TF should have loose parts in either mode, and maybe a place to store the weapon in bot mode besides the hand would be nice too. I'd realy like to see storage for extra parts become a standard. No more loose rockets, swords or nothing. To me BW NEO Magmatron is the best example of weapon storage to date. Tons of extra parts and a place for each. The Animated Dinobots, are the exact opposite.

One thing that I liked about AEC was that they standardized all the fist and screw holes to be the same so basicly anyone could carry anything any place. The movie into Animated had more stylized hands, and although I realy like that, I wouldn't mind seeing the versatility return too.

I ask, please give me more figures like Energon StarScream who's got hidden launchers and interchangable swords and guns. A weapon carrier would be cool too, a figure made with the intent of carring guns for the other bots, or a rifle loaded Prime trailer would be awesome.

As for weapons though, I gotta say in the end I love them!

Guns, swords, shields, launchers, you name it...

For a long time now I thought a real good idea would be for Hasbro to put out some weapon upgrade packs, just to bulk up your figures. Sell them in a case like the GIJoe Sigma6 figures came with and it would be a win with collectors. If Hasbro fears that they would only apeal to collectors, well wouldn't that be a great reason to rehash Robot Points and do this as a mail away?

I know I'm gonna get nailed for this but why don't they just take the G1 trailer for Prime, and outfit it with clips like Mattel did in Castle Grayskull to hold all sorts of bazookas, rifles, hand guns, swords, axes, and any other weapons they decide to pack in there and sell it for like $30-$40 and make it so that it'll fit on Voyager Classics Optimus since he is the closest to G1 Optimus we have from the last couple of years. They could even do it by including a voyager CL Optimus if they don't think it'll sell with out him. I mean then it'd be like $50 but I think it'd be worth it.

As for weapons I'm in the camp of I don't care if they really fire or not but I want them to store in alt mode, and a peg/ hole on the hip/ thigh/ back for them would be nice too. All of which would be totally doable.

I guess the Minicon weapon teams like the requiem blaster and the energon weapons that came with the omnicons and terrorcons were the closest thing to weapons packs as were going to get.

Growing up with G2 I used to like the whole missile launcher gimmick, but now they just piss me off. Although that's mainly because the later TF's that I have, that have missile launchers have crappy ones. Uni Overkill is the only one so far of the later bots that actually has a decent launcher. Treadbolt on the other hand if I look at it wrong, I get a missile to the eye. If it weren't for that I wouldn't mind them so much. So, in general I prefer the non-firing guns that come with figs. I wouldn't mind if they came with melee weapons though. That is of course only if it fits the character.

I also really wish more figs came with places to store weapons. It's not that hard to add on. Just look at Cyb Sideways, Movie Wreckage or Classics Grimlock.

I like my weapons when they can become part of the vehicle/alternate mode, which is where BW/BM/RiD shined. I still loved that Sideburn's missile launcher became his rear bumper and exhaust pipe, and X-Brawn's weapons became the running boards. I don't even need to start listing BW examples. Animated has fallen flat with this concept of storing the weapons decently. None of the Autobots can in robot mode, and they look stupid in vehicle mode on some of them. The only Decepticon who can is Shocky, but it makes him back heavy (Starscream doesn't count since that's a standard thing for his character).

However, I'm a sucker for melee weapons. Don't know why, but when they come with one, they wind up striking a chord with me. I guess cause considering when you think about it, they're robots and having range weapons just makes sense, but there's something about when they come with melee weapons that's just awesome. And when said weapon can be stored in either mode, like Vector Prime, it's even better than having it just lie there to the side.

I like spring loaded weapons, I just don't think they should all be spring loaded. It annoys me when the whole barrel of the gun is the rocket, Cybertron Hot Shot. In cases like that another gimmick should be used.

What I realy hate are the push from the back rockets.

Weapon storage is also a must! At those stage no TF should have loose parts in either mode, and maybe a place to store the weapon in bot mode besides the hand would be nice too. I'd realy like to see storage for extra parts become a standard. No more loose rockets, swords or nothing. To me BW NEO Magmatron is the best example of weapon storage to date. Tons of extra parts and a place for each. The Animated Dinobots, are the exact opposite.

One thing that I liked about AEC was that they standardized all the fist and screw holes to be the same so basicly anyone could carry anything any place. The movie into Animated had more stylized hands, and although I realy like that, I wouldn't mind seeing the versatility return too.

I ask, please give me more figures like Energon StarScream who's got hidden launchers and interchangable swords and guns. A weapon carrier would be cool too, a figure made with the intent of carring guns for the other bots, or a rifle loaded Prime trailer would be awesome.

As for weapons though, I gotta say in the end I love them!

Guns, swords, shields, launchers, you name it...

For a long time now I thought a real good idea would be for Hasbro to put out some weapon upgrade packs, just to bulk up your figures. Sell them in a case like the GIJoe Sigma6 figures came with and it would be a win with collectors. If Hasbro fears that they would only apeal to collectors, well wouldn't that be a great reason to rehash Robot Points and do this as a mail away?

I know I'm gonna get nailed for this but why don't they just take the G1 trailer for Prime, and outfit it with clips like Mattel did in Castle Grayskull to hold all sorts of bazookas, rifles, hand guns, swords, axes, and any other weapons they decide to pack in there and sell it for like $30-$40 and make it so that it'll fit on Voyager Classics Optimus since he is the closest to G1 Optimus we have from the last couple of years. They could even do it by including a voyager CL Optimus if they don't think it'll sell with out him. I mean then it'd be like $50 but I think it'd be worth it.

As for weapons I'm in the camp of I don't care if they really fire or not but I want them to store in alt mode, and a peg/ hole on the hip/ thigh/ back for them would be nice too. All of which would be totally doable.

I'd buy that. I had an idea a while ago for a Prime trailer that could turn into a placement bunker filled with guns.

Also, I thought the added weapons on Castle Greyskull, as well as the swords on Samuri Battlecat were a real nice touch.

I like my weapons when they can become part of the vehicle/alternate mode, which is where BW/BM/RiD shined. I still loved that Sideburn's missile launcher became his rear bumper and exhaust pipe, and X-Brawn's weapons became the running boards. I don't even need to start listing BW examples. Animated has fallen flat with this concept of storing the weapons decently. None of the Autobots can in robot mode, and they look stupid in vehicle mode on some of them.

BZZZT! Incorrect - Prowl's shuriken store in both robot and vehicle. :tflaugh

i like weapons that can be attached/stored in both modes

loose weapons are the bane of my TF collecting (luckily my G1 DVD tin holds most of them)

:pfx here

I also like built in weapons - my new TFA Swindle for example has a Gatling Gun that pops out of his tummy :clap

Stuff like TFA Ratchett and his mess-o-doom fill me with angst.

As do the TFA Dinobot weapons....

TFA Blurr's swordy shield is also :win

I don't much like the Classics Prowl mold - but the flip out missile launchers are nicely done and I'd like to see more stuff like that.

I like melee weapons. I never understood why giant robots with armour plating up to the forehead would shoot each other with 'energy blasts'. I would have thought slicing through armour with a big sword or piercing it with an energy spear much more sensible. The same applies to the beasts, really - surely it's far more sensible to tear through your opponents flesh and get a metalic spanner in the proverbial works of his engines than just shoot?

Also, guns are for cowards. You should get up close and personal to fight. :-P

I like BFG's !!! SDCC Nemesis is damn near perfect. He's got the guns and still somewhere to keep em'

I know alot you get down on my Beast Wars brothers (Geeewun, Geeewun, Geeewun !!!) but you can't deny how some had multiple weapons & play value. They would stay with the figure and mine have for years over multiple states.

Some even had other play features as well. Water squirting happened alot and added FUN for kids, while Quickstrike still kicked butt even if you never used it. You add spring slide into position missiles and a mosquito even kicks arse :)

Micromark.

Archived