Warning! KO Encore Metroplexes abound

Snapes on a Plane

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got mine when it first came out, from JRSToyworld, so I'm not worried.

It is disturbing though. I knew those damned Chinese KOs were no good. It's too bad there were so many people that bought them. This kind thing should not be encouraged.

I got 2 G1s so Encore was a pass.

Is it just me though or did anyone else notice that Encore Metroplex came out right after KO Metroplex. I always had a hunch that Takara just bought the stock of those tweeked it then reshipped.

I'm not saying that it happened, it's just odd.

Everything on mine looks legit. The wheels have the rivets in the center, the doors are plastic and not painted, and even the box looks straight. The only thing that stands out is that the stamp on mine is the "H2208" stamp, however it doesn't have the ring around it. I guess having the same serial stamp as the ko is just a coincidence.

PS: I think the H2208 is a batch/lot number (the fakes just happened to use that batch number). It means that if yours say H2208, there’s still a chance that yours is legit. That's provided that everything else in my article doesn't apply to your Metroplex that is.

PS: I think the H2208 is a batch/lot number (the fakes just happened to use that batch number). It means that if yours say H2208, there’s still a chance that yours is legit. That's provided that everything else in my article doesn't apply to your Metroplex that is.

That makes more sense now. I wasn't doubting that mine was real based soley on the number. But after thinking about it, mine came from an intial batch because I pre-ordered with BBTS. I'm sure that whatever company took it upon themselves to try and take a cut of the Encore reissues had it planned from Takara's announcement. After they were released I imagine that whatever "sample" they gathered was from one of the first batches and was used to produce facsimiles as fast as possible in order to take the biggest cut of sales as possible.

I generally don't mind ko's because I don't collect them. Not only that, but the g1 ko's from the past year or two have been issues of figures that Takara has not reproduced.(with a few exceptions, though) Most serious collectors know that ko's like Swoop, Grimlock, Mirage, and the like have not been reissued by Taktomy and therefore know they are blatant ko's and an attempt to cash in on G1 nostalgia stemmed from Transformers' resurgence into pop-culture. And not only that but they have been pretty easy to distinguish from currently issued products. This Metroplex ko, however, is a completely different animal. This was a direct attempt to undercut Taktomy and fool the fans and suppliers which is deplorable. I'm not really shocked because this happens to all other manners of brands and products, but this is the first attempt of this kind of forgery I've seen for a Transformers product.

Archived