Buy in advance or wait and save tons of money?

G.A.S.H.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simple question: Would you buy a TF in advance of it's release date for way over 500% markup, or wait for the general release and save tons of money?

Me? I never pay more than normal for something that hasn't yet come out. Retro buying is different...

Personally I think some of these guys online that buy stuff way ahead of it's release , and for 2,3,4,even5 times more then it's regualr retail price, are really crazy ... either they are just impatient, or they have to be one of these guys that are the first kid on the block to get the new toy........ i would never pay more then retail for a new figure .... infact I never have paid over retail for anything past G1 ....

It depends.

Takara or imported figures are a preorder. Basically because you cant buy them at Walmart or Target.

What he said and I totally agree.

Yeah, but you're not going on eBay and paying $200 for Protoform Soundwave... That's the issue I'm having

I would not, repeat NOT, purchase a protoform figure online. Didn't protoform Optimus and Starscream pegwarm in the UK like they did over here?

I'll wait until the clearance sales or pick something up second-hand online. I don't generally keep the packaging, so I may as well get it loose and save a couple of bucks. It also gives me time to see if anyone else picks up horrible flaws or bonus features, and to pore over really good high-def photos that the first buyers inevitably post. That way, I can really decide if it's something I want or not.

The way i see it is when you see these pre-released figures online, that means its only a stones throw away from being on the market. So NO, i dont ever buy anything early. I like to get it for whats its worth.

This does not mean i find other ppl that do so, wrong. I STRONGLY love the reviews and early pics. Thanks guys. ;)

I would not, repeat NOT, purchase a protoform figure online. Didn't protoform Optimus and Starscream pegwarm in the UK like they did over here?

i saw them just last week on the shelves at full price in woolworths (woolworths are going into administration today after 100 years trading - how about them apples!)

I wait until it's available in the Pit I call where I live. But even then, I still end up with the earlier versions, before the "running changes" are available. (for example, Universe Onslaught)

What TFU Onslaught running change? Information would be appreciated.

They fixed the siren sound so that it plays continuously if you hold it down.

I wish I could say I'd never pay more than retail for figures, but then I bought Henkei Thundercracker and have Thrust and Dirge on preorder. If it's something I know I'll be able to get in stores soon enough, I'll just wait. If I find something cheap online with decent shipping that puts it at roughly the same as retail price, or it's something I know I'll never see in stores (Music Label Soundwave and Wal-Mart MP Starscream), then I'll usually buy it if it's reasonable (Screamer was $60 shipped MISB, which was a bargain given what I usually pay for shipping to Canada).

I wait until it's available in the Pit I call where I live. But even then, I still end up with the earlier versions, before the "running changes" are available. (for example, Universe Onslaught)

What TFU Onslaught running change? Information would be appreciated.

They fixed the siren sound so that it plays continuously if you hold it down.

Yep, that's the change!

Archived