Buy in advance or wait and save tons of money?

G.A.S.H.

Simple question: Would you buy a TF in advance of it's release date for way over 500% markup, or wait for the general release and save tons of money?

Me? I never pay more than normal for something that hasn't yet come out. Retro buying is different...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to say in-between. I buy in-advance, but wait for the slightly lowered price.

I buy pre-released stuffs many times. Animated Leader Megatron, Blitzwing, Shockwave. But all of 'em were at decent price. And before they all hit the retails.

Not only will I wait until mass release, I wait until they show up in Wal Mart because they are the cheapest heh. I couldn't imagine having such little self control that someone would pay ridiculous prices for something a few months before it is released. But its not my money so I wouldn't call someone out for doing it.

Yea, waiting is definately best. The extra money doesn't buy you anything except what? Bragging rights? No thanks. I have more self control and patience. Gotta follow the money. Movie TFers -- I wait for mass release. But something like MP and BT's -- I get on preorder -- simply because THAT is usually the cheapest. They tend to go up in price by the time they are released, because wiht so many preorders, there is lower quantities and the price often goes up. I have learned that pre orders are usually best in this regard. But for me, I go with the cheaper option. But I really don't squabble over a few bucks here or there. If I am trying to get MP-04 that is going for an avg of $250 - I wouldn't squabble over $270 or hld out until I could get it for $240. If I want it... i'll get it and move on. I can make up the difference of a few dollars with 1 hour of work - far less time than hunting for the savings. But I understand some just enjoy the hunt.

I'll pre-order most of my stuff, but as everyone else has been saying, that's because it usually starts going up in price the day it comes out. As for buying prototypes/test shots/stolen from factory figures..., meh. There are a few prototypes I would like to have, but that's because I'm a geek, and I know that. I have been known to pay a little extra for shipping on that pre-order to get it a little faster that way. Would I ever pay those stupid prices to have that :animated figure 2-3 months before it hits shelves for $11, no.

i begrudge paying more than RRP (but occasionally in the UK i have to)

Buy in advance definitely not. Personally I just don't see any point in paying absurd amounts of money just to get a mass retailed toy a few months early. So, I have to wait a few months to get new figs big deal. Besides I refuse to support these sellers, because they are cheating you out of a ton of money for something that's going to be out in a month or two.

In general though I make it a point of not pre-ordering figures. I just don't like that hanging over my head especially when I pre-order a few things at once. Really only recently got into the habit of pre-ordering things and that's only because I really want it and don't want to go retail hunting or it's something I know is going to be a pain to get later.

I'll admit I'm a really big impulse buyer, but I'm just not in that great a hurry to get these figs. Most of the stuff I buy these days are things I've gotten on sale or at a discount.

the ONLY TF i've ever begrudged.... and i find it hillariously coincidental that it is this figure... is purchasing MP-02 Ultra Mag. I don't care for the character itself, as it represents to me, the horrendeous mistake of killing prime off. For 6-8months I struggled with it being the ONLY MP I didn't have.. and I didn't want to pay the price it was going for. I finally gave in and the completist in me (on this line) said meh.. lets do it.. Because I was in no hurry, I played the 'hunt' game and actually got it for about $50 cheaper than it normally goes for - MISB. That was the silver lining that really put me at peace with it, and allowed me to appreciate the piece a bit more.

AND THEN....

3 months later... they announce that MP-02 ULtra is being re released... and now that $50 savings.. became a $100 OVERpayment.

DANN I begrudge Ultra Magnus!!

In the big scheme of things tho.. one of the few TFers i've ever really overpaid for. I'm still happy I own it. So meh. It's only money.

Archived