Voyager Optimus Prime totally worth the wait.

JustLOKIPLVY

Was fortunate to find one of each this afternoon at Walmart. For the first time in the longest while they dropped the price clearencing them both for $22 down from $30. :awsum

First impressions.

Voyager Prime is as many have already said awesome. Near perfect in my opinion anyway. Alt mode doesn't do a lot to fill the box but out of package Prime has a solid near cartoon accurate alt mode. Joints are reasonably tight, colors/paint aps are near perfect, and the transparent blue plastic is pretty nice. The rear section though outside of the animated continuity gives Prime's truck mode a nice completed feel.

Transformation was a breeze. The automorph spinner IMO is more or less useless but really doesn't detract from the overall transformation scheme. All it does is spin the cab section around twice and bring it forward so it can conveniently fasten into the waist. Reversing it is more or less the same so no problems there.

Bot mode looks a lot better in person than any of the pics presented. The detailing with fists and head sculpt are better and more complete than any Universe figure I've seen to date. Articulation is pretty good in the arms/legs and head.

Only things worth nitpicking about are the silly looking ax (already in storage) and the unfortunate battle mask over the face. Personally I would have been perfectly content with Prime only having the mouth and chin but battle mask in place I guess gives this incarnation of Prime a traditional feel/look apart from the animated aesthetic.

Love/hate animated it can't be argued this isn't really nice piece/incarnation of Prime for any collection.

Blitzwing

Getting him out of the package was a bloody nuisance. I know in package he was supposed to be a jet but after getting the twist ties/elastic bands off of him, he was a scattered mess of lose kibble with several pieces already come off. Once past that phase he had to be put back together into what I guess was supposed to resemble a jet. Would have been a bit less hassle if everything had somewhere to connect but as is it's just lose kibble which unfortunately doesn't give a toy solid first impressions.

So okay the jet modes pretty much fail so onto the instructions and tank mode. Tank mode actually fares a lot better. The only problem here is the treads have nowhere to fasten to.

Bot mode after a two step transformation is pretty much the only real reason I can think of to even consider picking this guy up. Proportions are good, articulation decent, and the show accuracy for the most part is bang on. The spinning head gimmick and helmet are a lot better in person and don't look nearly as disproportionate as one would think. Detailing is also quite good in bot mode. The heads/faces could have been done a bit nicer but the movie Decepticon insignia on the chest looks pretty snazzy. The pose I think that works best is the thinker pose with the serious face.

To summarize. Blitzwing is a pretty awesome action figure but terrible transformer. Maybe one of the worst in regards to kibble slapped together alt modes.

Not about to mod anything, bot mode works just fine for me. One interesting think I almost immediately discovered was how to easily unfasten his turret backpack from his back without trimming any plastic. This may have just been mine but the two plastic tabs near the rear of the turret against his backside when pressed against his waist almost immediately pop the clip without any plastic/stress or breakage. I thought it was a fluke the first time I got the two sections stuck but it seems to work fine each time allowing for an easy transformation to either mode.

Question is why would anybody want him to be in anything but bot mode.

Voyager Prime on the other hand is pure :win

I think :animated prime is a better leader for my Classics than Classics Prime is.

I'd agree if I didn't think that Classics Prime was a fantastic figure and probably my single favorite Prime.

I hated his axe at first, but I think that it actually looks really awesome when you position it like this:

http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act493/animated_optimus23.jpg

^

Thanks that helped me out a lot.

The only thing I did differently is remove the top red piece and opposite end of the ax.

Also to add to my first post/review. Prime thus far is the best voyager thus far in the animated line followed by Lugnut. Lugnut's only detraction is his size but otherwise he's a fantastic voyager with probably one of best plane alt modes in any line.

Starscream has a killer bot mode but the alt mode and automoph transformation detract from him being anywhere near as well executed as Prime/Lugnut. Still he's a lot better than Blitzwing.

Blitzwing is one of the first TFs in a long time I've actually considered returning/exchanging (maybe Grimlock) I probably won't though because the character's awesome and I really think the bot mode poses well.

Only things worth nitpicking about are the silly looking ax (already in storage) and the unfortunate battle mask over the face. Personally I would have been perfectly content with Prime only having the mouth and chin but battle mask in place I guess gives this incarnation of Prime a traditional feel/look apart from the animated aesthetic.

They gave him a faceplate b/c he has one in the show. Where have you been? :P He just doesnt use it as much as he first did.

And the plane mode out of box is only for packaging. Its not the way its supposed to be when put together, You can make it so he has no gaps. And his backpack turns around (kind of like clsscs hot rod) so you can get longer cannons if you dont know. Fool around with him, you'll see a few changes.

:animated Prime is :awsum

I LOOOOOOVVVVE the :animated toys.

I think voyager prime is :win I haven't picked up either of the delux moulds though...

I really like Blitzy, although he has his faults, I think his stellar robot mode makes up for his two mediocre alt. modes.

I know yall lovin some Animated Prime But I think Earth Megs is the bee's knees. Hell, Swoop, Jazz & even Rachet are too cool themselves. OMG, just got Leader Bulkhead. He's damn near a master piece Animated fig IMO. Only set back is his neck, perma-saw and back heavy-ness. But hey, name a MP fig that can stand up good........I'm waiting......lol! Prime is ultra cool and represents to show well

Archived