Pics of MP-08 Grimlock Proto, Disney TF & Henkei!

Peter_Van

*dies on the inside*

yeah, I could get behind MP figures when they were characters who didn't turn into giant fat dinosaurs...

to sertile's point: NOBODY with any pride is going to display him in dino mode because it looks so freaking retarded

Maybe in bizarro world, where retarded = awesome. And the reason I haven't commented in this thread yet is because my brains are overwhelmed by the awesomeness of what my eyeballs are seeing. It's going to be a while before I can formulate a logical response to anything.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Each to his own, of course. I just happen to think that Grimlock's alt mode looks goofy in the extreme (like Mechagodzilla's mother-in-law or something), and I think that when you blow up something goofy to giant SERIOUS COLLECTOR ITEM size, it makes the goofiness 100000x more apparent.

JMO

Stylistic choices aside, it looks pretty solid in both modes, which is nice. MP Prime had his awful truck mode, and MP Megs was... questionable in robot mode. I'm just glad Grimlock looks good in both modes.

Scratch that, I'm glad he's finally coming out.

Each to his own, of course. I just happen to think that Grimlock's alt mode looks goofy in the extreme (like Mechagodzilla's mother-in-law or something), and I think that when you blow up something goofy to giant SERIOUS COLLECTOR ITEM size, it makes the goofiness 100000x more apparent.

JMO

So have you always had a problem with Grim's alt mode (since it's pretty much unchanged), or are you bothered more by the fact that it's getting the MP treatment? I'll admit it's silly, but it's a silly character all around. Like you said, to each his own.

Stylistic choices aside, it looks pretty solid in both modes, which is nice. MP Prime had his awful truck mode, and MP Megs was... questionable in robot mode. I'm just glad Grimlock looks good in both modes.

Scratch that, I'm glad he's finally coming out.

I will go ahead and agree w/ this and go on to state that I personally love the cartoon accurate choice. This is what I want out of my MPs. Big, intricate, diecast (how much is yet to be seen), electronics and cartoon accurate. All those things together make me feel a whole lot better about dropping $165 for this guy. I can't wait to have him in hand!!!

JMO

So have you always had a problem with Grim's alt mode (since it's pretty much unchanged), or are you bothered more by the fact that it's getting the MP treatment? I'll admit it's silly, but it's a silly character all around. Like you said, to each his own.

I did used to own Grimlock back in the day, and I liked him a lot. However, I was always disappointed in his dinosaur-mode animation model, because I felt it made him look like a big dope. The MP version seems to be a hybrid of toy and toon, so some of that dopeyness has been carried over and magnified IMO. Adding to the effect is something we know now that we didn't know then (or at least that I didn't), namely that T-Rex didn't look or walk like that. And unfortunately, this older interpretation of T-Rex looks dumpy and lame compared to the modern interpretation of him.

Here's a revolutionary thought -- what if, just as MP Starscream was changed from the early 80's F-15 to the modern F-15E, MP Grimlock were changed from the early 80's understanding of T-Rex to the modern one? Kind of like a giant Classics Grimlock that doesn't suck. I would be more interested in that.

Grimlock looks great, pear shape or not. It is also pretty much in line with the other MP toys. All of them are better looking, better articulated version of their G1 toy counterparts. When you look at G1 Starscream and MP Starscream, the changes were obviously necessary and for the better. G1 Grimlock was already a good looking toy. This one is just a much better version of that one. This is Masterpiece Grimlock and this is how he is supposed to look. Get over it.

To those complaining about it, think of it this way. The modern t-rex style belongs to Beast Wars Megatron.

Man.....That's underwhelming. Grimlock looks fantastic in robot mode, but they didn't have to keep the upright standing, tail dragging 1970's T-Rex mode.

Archived