Review: Universe Sideswipe Figure

Blitz-Wing

I just realized this while playing with him.....remember the first pictures we saw of him and his brother showed that their gun would combine with the hood scoop, but we seemed to thik they scrapped that idea. It isnt in the instructions for either of them, but the gun will combine with the hood scoop. If you place his gun underneath the hood scoop in the right spot, and fold the two sides of the scoop down, it will lock over his gun(it locks securely). Im not sure if they forgot this in the instructions, or if its just a fluke that it works, but the gun will combine.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Easily the best Wave 3 guy!!! Sorry Ironhide, you just didn't live up to the hype in my eyes. Punch/Counterpunch would be nice...if Habro insists on doing gajillions of repaints, this is the way to do it. It's weird...this entire wave has the same color scheme (more or less): red, black, grey/silver, and a little blue. What a faux pas!

Punch counterpunch would require fists that have thumbs on both ends, since putting either toy into the "other" robot mode results in the hands being upside down.

A word of caution:

On mine, two black grommets were mashed, so the white piece that attaches his right arm to the back of the wheel panel and his right arm-guard (door) couldn't be pressed into place.

I've got a temporary stop-gap in place (a couple of the plastic beads I bought for making articulated fingers on some larger bots), until I can find some real replacements.

I got Sideswipe today and that was the issue on one of his arms. Apparently it's fairly widespread, so instead of a straight up exchange I bought another one in case it had both broken.

The second one I got had much better qc, and the other one is going back as defective.

One issue that was on both of them, though, was the gun's peg is too big for the shoulder. Sunstreaker has bigger holes and the guns fit fine there, but I'd rather Sideswipe have the shoulder cannon...

I've got a couple of mods in mind for him, though, so I'll just fix that while I'm at it.

~Matt Booker

Okay, so I fixed the shoulder issue. Just took a razor blade and shaved the hole a bit bigger so the gun would fit.

I really thought about doing a leg swap, and have come to realize that even if you did the swap and notched the feet, he's gonna be off balance. Why is that? Because the feet sit so far forward in that position.

Yes, you can move them back, but by the time they are back far enough to have the ankles mostly under his legs, he looks like he has no feet.

The Sunstreaker style legs have grown on me, though.

I still have one other mod that I'm going to do, but I'll let that one be a surprise. :D

~Matt Booker

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice.

I may actually break and get Sunstreaker eventually and then Sideswipe.

Unlike most of the line these two look simple enough close enough to the Classics aesthetic of last year to be true Classics.

Archived