duel personality and split personality

saberwolf

when it comes to the autobot doublespy punch one could basicly think of his character as posessing 2 personalities.

the main one he has as an autobot being entirely based and centered around the positive aspects of his personal and moral character with the one he reverts to as counterpunch being the minor alternate personality of the 2 but with his personality as counterpunch being based and centered around the negative aspects of his personal and moral character.

from a certain viewpoint one could look at theirself and basicly think of the mixed bag that person has when it comes to their personal and moral character as essentually being a mix of positive or spiritual puritiies and negative or spiritual inpurities.

each of the positive moral and personal attributes that person has that makes it possible for that person to be the kind, caring, decent, considerate, compassionate, honorable, and respectable person that person is in life each of those qualities making up the light side of that persons soul. with each of the negative personal and moral attributes that makes that person the unkind, uncaring, indecent, inconsiderate, uncompassionate, dishonorable, and disrespectable person that person is at their absalute worst each of those making up the dark side of that persons soul.

to put this line of thought into a somewhat more easily understood manner of speaking try to think of bw silverbolt and dinobot as the 2 would exist if each of them were 2 seperate sides of the same single living person. silverbolt being that persons main personality and representing the light side of that persons soul with dinobot being the minor alternate personality and in some part representing the darkside of that persons soul.

the only question i got o nthe matter people is this.

what real differance if any is their between a duel personality and a split personality?

I never got the punch-counter punch character.

Some can tell me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, Duel personalities co-exist. Aware of the other. Split personalities are not aware of the others. I also think that Split personalities can have more than 2 personality where duels can only have 2 personalities. But don't hold me to that.

Technically, a Dual personality is also the milder form of Disassociative Identity Disorder, and can also refer to people who have only one identity but two apparant personalities, such as someone who is manic-depressive. One being, one set of memories and thoughts, but two different ways of manifesting those thoughts and emotions.

Punch-Counterpunch is just one character - the Autobot Punch. "Counterpunch" is merely his alternate identity when he's spying on Decepticons.

He was never portrayed as having dual/split personalities in the US or Japanese cartoons - in both incarnations he was clearly portrayed as being an Autobot with a faux-Decepticon identity used for espionage.

Same goes for Doubleclouder (Japanese version of Doubledealer), although Clouder eventually defected to the Autobots. However again he never had multiple personalities.

Dinobot and Silverbolt are entirely different and separate personas, despite sharing some similarities in core values. A better comparison might be between Silverbolt and Jetstorm, with Jetstorm representing the darker aspects of Silverbolt's character - i.e.: Jetstorm represented Silverbolt with his stringent code of ethics and morality removed; But of course, one could easily argue that drastically changing a person's set of core values would in turn drastically alter who they were. If the same thing happened to Optimus Prime and he became evil, would he still be Optimus Prime or would he have become a new persona? This was Obiwan Kenobi's argument to Luke when he argued that when Anakin Skywalker was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force, the heroic Jedi that he had raised and befriended as Anakin Skywalker ceased to exist and was replaced by Darth Vader - and thus argued that when the Darth Vader persona emerged, he betrayed and murdered the Anakin persona. And finally in the end of Return of the Jedi, we see the conflict between a dormant (but now re-emerging) Anakin Skywalker VS Darth Vader, with Anakin triumphing in the end to overcome Vader and destroy Palpatine (as confirmed by Anakin when he told Luke, "You were right about me" regarding the conflict between him and Vader).

So are we looking at two separate entities or merely two different aspects of the same entity? As Kenobi pointed out in Episode VI, it's entirely dependent on your own point of view.

From one POV you could argue that Silverbolt and Jetstorm are different characters, but from another POV you could argue that they are merely different aspects of the same character.

There is no definitive "correct" answer to this question as it is an entirely subjective issue.

A 'split' or 'multiple' personality is like having another person in the same body, and they may or may not be aware of eachother. Even if they aren't aware of the other personality, they're aware of blacking out regularly (when the other takes over).

'Dual' personality is a bit more nebulous, because someone who's just simply two-faced could be considered to have a 'dual nature'. It also covers people who don't have a complete personality split like above. Most of the time the person is fully aware of what they're doing or what's going on, tho they may not be aware of their own duality, or how to change it, or when they switch back and forth.

In both cases, the person learns survival strategies so they appear 'normal' to other people who aren't savvy enough to pick up on the clues. It would also be a difficult concept to write properly.

Punch's bio indicates that he's the first, a multiple or split personality...and makes it hard to fathom him being an effective intelligence agent, because there would have to be communication between the personalities for that to get done. He would have required at least an entire episode to explore the actual nature of his character, something which by that time they plainly weren't going to bother with. And he didn't get it in the comic, either, unless I missed it in some of the UK issues, or have forgotten some of the later US issues that I didn't like.

--Moony

He appeared in a few episodes of the Japanese Headmasters series, and the Counterpunch persona was portrayed as effectively being a false secret identity that he adopted when infiltrating the Decepticons - much like how Superman uses his Clark Kent persona to disguise himself amongst humans.

Archived