Photo

Does Anyone Know of a Site for Collectors?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Optimus3000

Optimus3000

Bringer of Freedom for all Sentient Beings

• Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:40 PM

Hey. I've got a massive amount of transformers, but no way to categorize the figures. I have folders with instruction manuals arranged by line and allegiance, but I have no way to categorize the figures themselves, or the figures without instructions or cards.

So I was hoping that there's a site out there that allows people to put in their figures one by one and give them an up-to-date tally of their figures and maybe even an estimate as to what the collection is worth. Hopefully, this service might even be free.

Does anyone know of such a site? Any help would be appreciated. I figured this would be an easier route to building my own site, as the whole intent is to share what I have with others.

#2 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Members
  • 9,102 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:47 PM

I have designed a website that suits those purposes. I am waiting for my business partner to acquire a server that has the capability of running it. Stay tuned.

#3 Optimus3000

Optimus3000

Bringer of Freedom for all Sentient Beings

• Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:51 PM

Sweet. Are you going to charge for it, or will you be making your money through other routes?

#4 Drewbie

Drewbie

hn.

• Members
  • 8,248 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:54 PM

Bwtf.com has something like what you're talking about.  I don't know if it's as detailed as you're looking for, though.

#5 mflinn

mflinn

Magmatron - Terrorize!

• Members
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:57 PM

Like peeron.com
? but for transformers?

It would be cool if this was rolled into TFU.info (perhaps partnered with them?) I am tired of going to ten sites for 1 pcs of info

Ever try categorizing by Series, then fraction then sub line

Example
Cybertron-Autobot-Earth
Energon-Autobot-Omnicon
Armada-Decepticon
I have to wait to get my collection back (in storage while I wait for our apartment to be done)

Edited by mflinn, 10 November 2005 - 06:01 PM.

#6 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Members
  • 9,102 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

Sweet. Are you going to charge for it, or will you be making your money through other routes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am pretty sure that the plan was to make the collection tracker be free, but you have to log into the site of course. There was going to have an additional pay option that allowed you to see a price-guide, as well as bst through the site using an ebay like system, minus the money handling.

I beta tested a bunch of PHP CMS but to no avail. I will begin actual re-development on the site later this year. And so far I have been unsuccessful at trying to get other websites or companies (besides my webhost and a bunch of developers) interested in the project. It basically comes down to I can't do it on my own, and if I can't sell the idea, I won't be able to do it. I am still not entirely certain which tech I will use for it, but as time goes on it will be using .NET.

I had made a post about trying to get some people to help me a few months ago. A bunch of people offered to be forum moderators or help in translation, but to be realistic, those aren't the kind of positions that a site of this nature requires.

#7 mflinn

mflinn

Magmatron - Terrorize!

• Members
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:02 PM

.net.... hahahaha sorry not going to use it...

WOW...

#8 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Members
  • 9,102 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:17 PM

I have not fully decided on .NET. I am going to start using it at work but I will probably use ASP or PHP when the time comes. I don't have time to learn something new, or even PHP. I can do it in ASP but the server doesn't support it.

#9 siburke939

siburke939

Nintendo Wii Console Number Thingy: 6614-5473-7788-5154

• Members
  • 6,490 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:18 PM

A "virtual collection" picture site would be cool! You could enter what TFs you have, the size of the shelf space you have/are planning, then arrange them at the click of a button. You could arrange them by series, by size class, by cartoon appearances, by repaints, in alphabetical order... the possibilities are endless! Maybe TFU.INFO could (apart from let Remy take their photos!) "cut-out" their TF pictures and knock something up.

As soon as I get my new PC I'm gonna start working on this with my own collection. I need to work out how to make 3D renders too.

Edited by siburke939, 11 November 2005 - 06:58 PM.

#10 OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983

Forum Member

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:28 PM

you should tfu.info, that might help you out some too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us