• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Blitz

Blitz

that other arty board member

• Members
  • 13,667 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:08 PM

the concept about this thead is a basic ask a question leave a question regarding TF art e.g. I say "how do i do eye glows" then some one ansers "in photo shop I......." then they can leave a question ifd they want

to start off i wanna know how big are the pro pics done by don for box art i have a nagging feeling that i draw to small making my lines look a little chunky and not well defined and maybe thats whats holding me back. right now i draw about the size of a A4 sheet so its easy to scan

#2 Josh

Josh

Da Shiny Color-Mod

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:43 PM

good idea for a thread

i know that for comic sequential pages artists typically use 11"x17" sheets of heavy, high-quality art paper called Bristol board. Bristol board comes in two "tooths" (surface texture), Plate (which is smoother) and Vellum (which is rougher)

You can buy that at art stores or order them online [you can buy them pre-ruled online]

i'd think that for single character stuff they might use paper around that size, that way they can get some good detailing, although i'm sure it varies. Maybe i'll ask Don and see what he says

#3 ss_minnow

ss_minnow

Forum Member

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:07 PM

You can also use a finer pencil lead (or lead holder with sharpener handy) when in the final cleanup phase of your drawing. This helps because you don't have to spend more time drawing a bigger picture. Just use a kneaded eraser on your loose pencils to lighten them. Then redraw with the finer point and a little bit more patience :P

You can further clean up your art in Photoshop by adjusting the levels on your linework to kill the lighter lines (and pencil smudge) while enhancing the darker ones :)

SS_Minnow

#4 Blitz

Blitz

that other arty board member

• Members
  • 13,667 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 05:39 AM

good idea for a thread

i know that for comic sequential pages artists typically use 11"x17"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks. ive been looking at the bristol stuff it ant cheap is it but i supose i have to pay for quality

Edited by Blitz, 25 June 2005 - 05:41 AM.

#5 Josh

Josh

Da Shiny Color-Mod

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:43 PM

good idea for a thread

i know that for comic sequential pages artists typically use 11"x17"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks. ive been looking at the bristol stuff it ant cheap is it but i supose i have to pay for quality

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah

i bought myself a bristol art pad awhile back and it was definately some awesome paper. i love drawing on it

#6 Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose

Forum Member

• Members
  • 9,412 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:30 PM

Ok - I'll bite
How do you make Eye Glow?
I am currently doing a comic in INH using Sully's INH-Kids
Its fairly complex and have figured out a LOT of stuff just through trial and error.
but i have a hard time with glows - be they Eye glow or Auras.

I am using Adobe PhotoDeluxe by the way

Thanks
Hunter

#7 limabean

limabean

king of all things wooden

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:43 PM

ok ill field this one
not sure exactly if this will work with photodelux but heres how i was taught ;)
you make a layer above your line art and set it to hard light
then using an airbrush at around 40% opacity you spray around the the object you want to glow with the colour you want. though i generally use a paler version of the colour of the object. then change your colour to white and spray in the the center of your object.
or if you want super bright glows (i do alot) just keep the opacity at 100 but change the flow to about 50

hope that helps

#8 Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose

Forum Member

• Members
  • 9,412 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:32 PM

It does - although not exactly as you described.
what is "hard light"
and should the airbrush tool have a hard edge or a faded edge?

Thanks!
Hunter

#9 limabean

limabean

king of all things wooden

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:30 PM

i think hardlight is just really bright lol and airbrush is faded edges

#10 optimus anal

optimus anal

Award-Winning Comic Visionary Genius Supreme

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:41 PM

Somebody say paper?

For paper, 11X17 Blue Line Pro bristol comic book paper. Blue Line Pro is sold in packs of 24 for about $16.00 at any comic shop. If they don't carry it, simply ask them to order it for you. Its very smooth and very soft, so its best to sketch out your project before you lay down the pencil on the BLP, that way you dont get a bunch of pencil lines if you mess up and need to erase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ENI
About
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world. Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!
Sites
Action Figures
Comics
Classifieds
Entertainment

Marvel
Podcasts
Star Wars
Transformers
Links
Support
This site and content are copyright © Entertainment News International - All other rights revert to their lawful owners
This website is provided for the general public as an information and entertainment resource. If you feel this site has infringed on your legal rights, please contact us