TFSource Customers' Credit Card Security Compromised - May 2011

darkwingduck13

I did a search of the forums to see if this was already being discussed, but searching for "TFSource credit card" didn't bring up any threads. It turns out that TFSource has had their credit card records compromised again. Of course there's been no notification to their customer base, and I've been warned to stop talking about it on TFW's forums. You can view the thread here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-general-discussion/286348-warning-tfsource-account-billing-info-compromised-may-2011-a-114.html#post6089982

If you've done any business with TFSource over the past 6 months (I believe that was the oldest report we got in the thread), or honestly if you've EVER done business with TFSource and they have one of your current cards on record, you should be extremely vigilant in watching your account for suspicious charges!

This is the second time they've been compromised, and when combined with the shady crap they pulled with the Shadow Scyther restock incident, I have decided that I will never purchase from their business again.

I know some people are members at multiple sites, but I felt it wise to post a warning here in case there are people who hadn't heard of this most recent occurrence yet.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think this was posted for a short while and yet nobody here was affected by it. I haven't been

I'm very glad that you posted this here. I think that may the source, no pun intended, of the problem I had with my Visa card, which I use for pre-orders at TFSource. My card got used fraudulently last week. I took care of the problem this past Monday.

Ironically, this makes using the notorious PayPal all the more appealing. I do sometimes use it at TFSource, but I've got tired of paying ahead of time for toys I don't have yet.

Thank you darkwingduck13.

I'm very glad that you posted this here. I think that may the source, no pun intended, of the problem I had with my Visa card, which I use for pre-orders at TFSource. My card got used fraudulently last week. I took care of the problem this past Monday.

Ironically, this makes using the notorious PayPal all the more appealing. I do sometimes use it at TFSource, but I've got tired of paying ahead of time for toys I don't have yet.

You're welcome, Mike. I dealt with the problems for almost 2 weeks before seeing the thread on TFW. My debit card, my wife's credit card, my wife's debit card, and my friend's debit card all got compromised. It wasn't until we were sitting around the kitchen table and they were watching me unwrap my birthday presents that it all came together. I kept saying, "You ordered this online, didn't you?" and they both said they ordered my gifts from TFSource. A little more talking, and it turned out all three of us had cards compromised. That's what led me to start checking for info online, and I found the TFW thread. Now it seems like it's all going to get covered up, judging by TFSource's lack of public comment and the TFW admin trying to censor the thread.

You're welcome, Mike. I dealt with the problems for almost 2 weeks before seeing the thread on TFW. My debit card, my wife's credit card, my wife's debit card, and my friend's debit card all got compromised. It wasn't until we were sitting around the kitchen table and they were watching me unwrap my birthday presents that it all came together. I kept saying, "You ordered this online, didn't you?" and they both said they ordered my gifts from TFSource. A little more talking, and it turned out all three of us had cards compromised. That's what led me to start checking for info online, and I found the TFW thread. Now it seems like it's all going to get covered up, judging by TFSource's lack of public comment and the TFW admin trying to censor the thread.

TFW has always been that way, and that's all I'm going to say about them. Though, TFSource should have said something letting people know who bought from them that this happened.

I guess I was wrong about no one here being affected. Maybe I got lucky as I buy from there quite often and have not been affected. But then my Credit Union knows how I am and they watch like hawks.

TFW has always been that way, and that's all I'm going to say about them. Though, TFSource should have said something letting people know who bought from them that this happened.

I guess I was wrong about no one here being affected. Maybe I got lucky as I buy from there quite often and have not been affected. But then my Credit Union knows how I am and they watch like hawks.

Just be careful and keep an eye on it, Lord_Onslaught. If TFSource had your number, there's a good chance the scammers just haven't gotten around to trying it yet. More people comment on the thread at TFW almost every day saying that they're just now seeing the effects. Watch out for iTunes charges and dating sites...both are typical options for scammers who just want to check and see if a card number is good.

In the phone calls I made this past Monday, I learned how my number was tried out by the thieves. It was at the website of a known charity. The woman I talked to said that someone has been using their online donation system to test out credit card information. The first problem I noticed on my card was the charge of 1 penny to that charity. From there the actual fraud started.

Just be careful and keep an eye on it, Lord_Onslaught. If TFSource had your number, there's a good chance the scammers just haven't gotten around to trying it yet. More people comment on the thread at TFW almost every day saying that they're just now seeing the effects. Watch out for iTunes charges and dating sites...both are typical options for scammers who just want to check and see if a card number is good.

That's probably why I haven't seen anything then. My Credit Union knows that iTunes and dating sites are not my normal spending habits, I even had them put a block on iTunes last year, cause of a similar situation with Amazon. but yeah I will be keeping an eye out

Fortunate for me, I have a Capital One credit card I use for all my online purchases. They have a $0 fraud policy so that if my card gets compromised, I'm liable for $0 of it should they determine it was in fact fraud. Saved my ass 2yrs ago when my wallet got stolen and the morons tried to buy a phone at T-Mobile.

Archived